Why the Hate for this Movie?

Water Wagon

Sidekick
Reaction score
Seriously i wanna know.

I go on sites like IMDB on the DBZ and Dragonball board and most comments are negative. I go on other DBZ fan forums where that also recieves alot of hate, same as comments on youtube.

Even on this site a kinda nerdy site it was on the front page the other day about the GI Joe poster and Dragonball poster 80% of the comments praised GI Joe and said Dragonball was a joke.

Why?

Ive seen people react to other superhero posters and pictures but have never seen so much negativity for this type of film before, and even the so called fans are against it.

Even on Box Office Mojo a forum that actually has intelligent people say its gonna flop.

People just keep saying the same thing "lol this movie looks awful/is gonna suck/is gonna flop"

What are people expecting to see here, What is it thats so bad about this movie?

Personnaly, I think it's because they are doing it as if they were doing a comic book movie, and by that I mean that mangas are far more "rigid" stories than comic book.

Comic books, because there are so much version of characters and because each new writer brings his own vision of a character, fans are used to the fact that interpretation is integral in comic books, and so it gives a lot more liberty for a director.

On the other hand, usually mangas are written by only one person, so the universe is a lot lot more confined, so in order to get fans approval, you have to stay as fateful as possible to the original universe. And let's say the first images don't go in that direction at all.

Personnaly, I'll try to stay as open minded as possible, and take the movie as it is, which means just a movie. Even if it's a piece of sh**, it won't change the fact that Dragonball manga/anime is pure awesomeness :)

but that's just my point of view

You have a popular cartoon/magna with iconic characters becoming a live action movie after so many years. Like most adaptations what you as a fan has come to love most likey will not make it to the big screen. And we all have know that one bad movie can kill a potential franchise or will have to wait at least 6-10 years for a reboot.

The reason for such backlash is that from what we have to go off it is not that good.

i dont really understand all the hate either, cuz i seriously cant wait for the movie. Until i see i teaser or trailer im not gonna start criticizing the movie. Either way i think the movie will be entertaining.

Manga goes more for the fantasy that is hard to translate in compare to comics, althoug DB is popular in U.S.A, you are dealing with a culture that have Grow with Superman, Batman, hulk, for more than 50 years, who prefer that the status of their favorites remain over a foreing hero like Goku, therefore they espect the movie to be a fail.

Others just feel that is not faithful to the original source, and base on comics movies that have fail because of this, they predict the same destiny

Finally we have the fans that dont like the changes, but they going to see it no matter what.

dont mind yet this "hate", the transformers have the same problem, and even after Jar Jar everybody when to see attacks of the clone.

I have no doubt that this film will be a massive box office success... But I also have no doubt that critics and real DB fans will hate it. Not because of casting, or direction... because of the **** poor script.
From what I've read of it, its the biggest cliche'd cluster of **** I've ever read... The movie we're getting is DINO... Dragonball In Name Only, not the dinosaur... also, the worst part of this whole thing is... Since it will make a crap load of money... we'll get a even worse sequal...

maybe because...it differs from the Source Material blatantly. when a more close adaptation would have been beautiful onscreen...

Reasons for the hate:

People that don't know anything about DragonBall think that the anime is stupid and all the news coming from the movie so far doesn't help make it look cool at all. They used to think DBZ was stupid, and they're going to continue it's stupid because of the pics/news from the movie.

People that DO love DragonBall (me included) are hating on the movie because they know what the potential for the movie could be, and feel cheated by the direction it's going in so far.

Th casting isn't really all that great, Justin Chatwin is a terrible actor, Emmy Rossum isn't a great actress and doesn't seem to fit the role. The story is fine, but nowhere near as cool as it could be, and doesn't even compare to any stories in DBZ (Saiyan Saga, Frieza Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga.)

The whole budget/crew seems like the studio doesn't take the series too seriously. The director is just okay, but he has not impressed so far. The whole thing just feels like Fox believes this franchise to be the next X-Men or Fantastic Four, which were okay (FF sucked) but weren't close enough to the source material, and the sequels to these franchises were rushed and weren't good.

Fans would prefer that the studio looked at this like Lord of the Rings, were they're taking a big risk, but they respect the material as well as the international fan base.

But how could something like Dragonball be very faitful without looking cheesy?

Yes the crew isnt very good and it was rushed but the cast and budgets ok.

From what i see the hate normally comes down to one of these.

1. The Hair

2. Gokus white

3. People hate DBZ

But how could something like Dragonball be very faitful without looking cheesy?

Yes the crew isnt very good and it was rushed but the cast and budgets ok.

From what i see the hate normally comes down to one of these.

1. The Hair

2. Gokus white

3. People hate DBZ

4. No Krillin.

Plus, it wouldnt have to look cheesy especially if they, stylized the movie.

Roshi having hair is no problem to me, as long as...

The fighting is actually exciting

The characters act like themselves

Piccolo is green as long as possible

It makes over $200 million worldwide

Roshi having hair is no problem to me, as long as...

The fighting is actually exciting

The characters act like themselves

Piccolo is green as long as possible

It makes over $200 million worldwide

From the leaked draft of the script I've read, Goku acts more like Evan from Superbad more then the character created by Akira Toriyama...

Well of course not, 300 and Sin City were done in artsy colours (Bronze or Black and White and Red)

Speed Racer was done uber colourful and looked horrible

Regardless of all the hate, people will still go watch it to either confirm that they are right in hating the movie or to watch an action flick. It will still make around 300-400 million worldwide, but the reviews might not be all that enlightening. Basically a similar scenario to Fantastic Four 1.

maybe because...it differs from the Source Material blatantly. when a more close adaptation would have been beautiful onscreen...

I disagree, I think the reason for the hate, is we are talking about something that doesn't translate well to the silver screen. DBZ seems like the kind of thing that's left better in the realm of cartoons and comics, but in live action it would look silly and have a story that wouldn't appeal to the general American audience.

Its the same reason FF doesn't work in movie form.

I will say the original thread poster has a point, otokus tend to be more rigid then American comic book fans. I have heard people complain that Mai has a bigger role in this film then she does in the manga or the anime, that really shouldn't be a major concern, there are far bigger problems.

There are animes that could work in movie form, just not this one. Sure many anime fans will *****, no matter what, but here many of their complaints are legit.

Regardless of all the hate, people will still go watch it to either confirm that they are right in hating the movie or to watch an action flick. It will still make around 300-400 million worldwide, but the reviews might not be all that enlightening. Basically a similar scenario to Fantastic Four 1.

Two words: Speed racer.

Nobody knew what Speed Racer was so it lost out, and it was crap

I love the Dragonball Z cartoons but I feel this movie will be a dud like Street Fighter and Double Dragon.

Hopefully the live action Akira never gets made if it's going to turn similar to this.

Nobody knew what Speed Racer was so it lost out, and it was crap

Speed racer has more pop culture traction than DBZ, I have actually heard of more pop culture references to Speed racer in America, than Dragon Ball Z.

As for it being crap, forgetting what this movie is based on for a moment, it looks god awful in general. The poster looks something from the 90s street fighter film. This looks like cheesy, cheap early 90s film.

No Speed Racer looked awful from the beginning nobody knows or cares about Speed Racer

At least Dragonball looks better

No Speed Racer looked awful from the beginning nobody knows or cares about Speed Racer

At least Dragonball looks better

I have at least seen Speed racer referenced on Family Guy and SNL, which are some pretty main stream programs in the US. Heck I heard of Pokemon referenced in the horror film Slither, South Park and the Daily Show. In America you know something has made it into the pop culture realm when reference by other pop culture programs.

I haven't heard of any major pop culture references for DBZ, maybe Robot Chicken, but everything get referenced there.

Also looking better than Speed racer isn't anything to brag about. The poster still looks like a cheesy 90s film.

I have at least seen Speed racer referenced on Family Guy and SNL, which are some pretty main stream programs in the US. Heck I heard of Pokemon referenced in the horror film Slither, South Park and the Daily Show. In America you know something has made it into the pop culture realm when reference by other pop culture programs.

I haven't heard of any major pop culture references for DBZ, maybe Robot Chicken, but everything get referenced there.

Also looking better than Speed racer isn't anything to brag about. The poster still looks like a cheesy 90s film.
Family Guy and SNL suck.

Dragonball Z was very clearly referenced in the South Park MOVIE, which received more viewers than just a single South Park episode in its third season (which is what your referring Pokemon to).

Dragonball Z may not be directly referenced all the time (the show has been over for 10 years!) but it's quite obvious it has had influence on MANY movies and TV-shows in America's popular culture. I don't know what you're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"