Comics Why this sudden Xavier hatred??

Valechan

Superhero
Reaction score
I wonder, why do the writers suddenly decide to make Xavier the greatest SOB of X-Men history by retconning the past??? Why this need to debase his character and his history by making him commit such heinous crimes in the past??? I wonder why they have it in for Xavier now.

I dunno and it is pissing me off about the X-men ever since.

I dunno, but i did like Genesis, so im not complaining. Xavier will be back. Its just a matter of time.

I think they want to make his character more like the Xavier of Ultimate X-men which would allow them to do more interesting character development but for 40 years he had been established as this cool, nice guy and now their screwing him up and turning him intt a grade A *****e. I hope they stop cus the amount of retconning is getting tedious if not confusing.

It is bloody convoluted to see so much retconning.

I'm liking it.

For years we've been told Xavier's not that innocent and Magnneto's not that evil. But how they been portrayed in the comics has been the complete oppossite.

While Magneto over the last couple of years has been gradually showen as being a bit more compassionate and idealistic, the writers are now moving onto Xavier. We know that he's done stuff in his past that is questionable, we are now being made aware of just exactly what that is and reacting to it the same way as the x-men are.

They feel betrayed and i think their response is realistic and justified, plus it is another aspect contributing the character development of Xavier as a whole, something that has long been overdue.

I like character development for Xavier, but is there turly need for so many retcons??? That is what I don't appreciate

It's not like this idea of Xavier being a "total and utter bastard" just popped up outta nowhere, it's been hinted at for the better part of a decade. Personally I'm glad that they're fleshing this story out. At the very least, it makes Xavier more interesting, the idea of him using their powers to manipulate those around him is pretty cool IMO.

It's not been around for a decade. In Onslaught he was clearly manipulated by Onslaught, it wasn't him doing the harsh talks with Sam and Scott and all that. The thing is this sudden bout of retcons, making him an SOB in the past and the X-Men finding out about it now. That's what doesn't sit well with me

sebita said:
It's not been around for a decade. In Onslaught he was clearly manipulated by Onslaught, it wasn't him doing the harsh talks with Sam and Scott and all that. The thing is this sudden bout of retcons, making him an SOB in the past and the X-Men finding out about it now. That's what doesn't sit well with me

No, he WAS Onslaught.

That whole "Magneto's mind tainted Xavier" bit is BS. Even now, officially, Magneto's mind only reinforced and brought to the surface all those dark thoughts Xavier always had.

It was kind of like Xavier got really drunk and finally did what he always wanted to, use his power to "fix" the world. But he got wasted and fought his best friends (mutants).

And again, I think this is more realistic and truthful than Xavier as a telepath who never uses his powers improperly.

C'mon...he's got a whole Jesus syndrome working too...he's just better at hiding it than Magneto.

dialog-vega5.gif
Okay, I don't understand. What things has Xavier been said to have done now to be hated and rejected by his own X-Men and other people? I know about the Onslaught saga and how he didn't tell the X-Men that the Danger Room was alive and out to kill them. I also heard that he may have had sexual feelings towards Jean when she was young. Is this true? What else has he done to deserve this animosity towards him?

there hasnt been a bunch of retcons.

are you talking about Dg?....perhaps one of the only good retcons marvel have ever done.

sebita said:

I'm not talking about Onslaught, I'm talking about the fact that the skeletons in his closest have been creeping out into the light for years. Just the other day I was reading Uncanny #309 (1994) and the entire issue was basically Xavier being confronted by a mental projection of Magneto who was exposing all these dark little secrets about Charles' life, including him manipulating a jilted lover into staying with him.

can anyone inform me what was it Xaviar actually did in the whole deadly genesis thing or whatever that showed a different side of him?

rnewbz said:
can anyone inform me what was it Xaviar actually did in the whole deadly genesis thing or whatever that showed a different side of him?

He organized a second team (before all new all different X-Men) to rescue the X-Men captured on Krakoa and got them killed (b/c though he made them think they had months of training, they still weren't strong enough).

Then, he fecked with Cyclops (and maybe Moira's later) mind so that he never new it happened. Send the new team there and tricked them into thinking Krakoa was a living island so that his dark little secret would never be known.

I agree with Sebita. The amount of retconning to make Xavier look like a bastard is ridiculous. I mean DG is one whopping great retcon.

Sun_Down said:
It's not like this idea of Xavier being a "total and utter bastard" just popped up outta nowhere, it's been hinted at for the better part of a decade. Personally I'm glad that they're fleshing this story out. At the very least, it makes Xavier more interesting, the idea of him using their powers to manipulate those around him is pretty cool IMO.

Then why did they have to stick a great big retcon in X-men history to do it? We already had the Ultimate universe Xavier be a manipulative dude.

In 616 it means that the X-men really should have Xavier around anymore, at all, since they cant ever be sure he isn't manipulating them. How can Xavier come back? (Believably, of course. Not dumb nonsense like how Mystique joined the team)

Well it kind of draws upon this whole thing where his power is to mess with people's minds but yet for so long he is made out to be this super great person who would never use his powers for unhanded purposes. Also as others have said it removes his whole 'holier than thou' image and makes him human.

It wouldve been more interesting if they actually moved forward in time and had Xavier do questionable things because he was losing faith in his dream.You don't need to go back and write in stories that were never supposed to happen.Xavier was never a saint,but he certaintly wasnt a conniving bastard.

Onslaught was a separate entity, a being comprised of Xavier and Magneto, sort of like their child. Wolverazio... read Wolverine 104-105

We agree on something FieryBalrog??? Has the world gone mad???

Totally with you Abbadon!!!!

We are in a day and age where authority figures are to be mistrusted and we assume that they're hiding some deep, dark secret or are just plain wrong in their leadership role. I guarantee you, that once we get a democrat into the White House, the liberal media, including comicbook writers, will be much more lenient to authority figures, including Xavier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"