Comics Why this sudden Xavier hatred??

dialog-vega4.gif
Could somebody please list me all the things Xavier is hated on for?

Think of it like this.

SHIELD has never once been an "evil" organization like they've been portrayed in New Avengers or in Secret War. Before Dubya, Nick Fury would NEVER have conned superheroes into an assassination mission and then brainwash them of what they'd done. Nor would they have opted to nuke a group of people rather than let the Avengers figure out what they were doing.

Before Dubya, the Ultimate X-Men were going to be a presidential task force who took care of the missions conventional military couldn't (remember the initial preview shown in Wizard with Mystique on the team). 2000 came along and with Dubya's victory came a new outlook on the Ult. X-Men. Coincidence?

I honestly think that the way authority figures are viewed these days has affected the portrayal of Xavier, who personifies WASPs, even though in ideology he is supposed to be MLK Jr. or Ghandi.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it, maybe I'm not. I don't know. But I don't think that Xavier would have been sullied up like this if a more liberal-friendly regime was in the White House.

-Recruiting Sage(retconned as the first x-woman) as a spy.
-Sending a new team of inexperienced X-men(including Cyclops' brother) to rescue their predecessors.And then erasing all memory of them when they failed the mission.
-Not telling the X-Men that the Danger Room was a sentient being.
-Running over kittens,etc.

Why is he being hated? Probably because he is the one who comes back to live when it's other dead characters (no names) who people want back, not Xavier.

Xavier's died maybe twice by my count.

Abaddon said:
-Running over kittens,etc.
Vega_10.gif
Hilarious!! I laughed at that one. But guys, wasn't it said that he had sexual feelings for Jean once or something. Ok, so let me get this straight:
Recruited Sage
Kept secret of sentient Danger Room
Onslaught
Sent premature group to Krakoa
What else has he done?

grey_jeanie said:
Why is he being hated? Probably because he is the one who comes back to live when it's other dead characters (no names) who people want back, not Xavier.

Do you even have an iota of a clue of what you're talking about? :confused: 'Cause I sure don't.

E. Bison said:
Recruited Sage
Kept secret of sentient Danger Room
Onslaught
Sent premature group to Krakoa
What else has he done?
A partial list:
- Tried to kill his twin sister in the womb.
- Tried to manipulate Amelia Voght in staying with him.
- Recruited Sage.
- Planted a mental suggestion in Storm when they first met, so that she would follow his lead if he so desired at a later point.
- Kept secret the sentient Danger Room.
- Became a member of the Marvel Illuminati (y'know with Doc Strange and all, but this doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy, but there's plenty of potential to do so).
- Sent a second squad to Krakoa, which got killed.
- Did not reveal their existence, nor that Scott's brother (Vulcan) was on the team.
- Mindwiped Magneto, which lead to Onslaught.
- Disbanded the team in an attempt to root out a Skrull traitor.

Cyclops said:
We are in a day and age where authority figures are to be mistrusted and we assume that they're hiding some deep, dark secret or are just plain wrong in their leadership role. I guarantee you, that once we get a democrat into the White House, the liberal media, including comicbook writers, will be much more lenient to authority figures, including Xavier.

I agree.

Authority figures are to be mistrusted, unless they're sporting a "progressive" agenda.

Cyclops said:
Think of it like this.

SHIELD has never once been an "evil" organization like they've been portrayed in New Avengers or in Secret War. Before Dubya, Nick Fury would NEVER have conned superheroes into an assassination mission and then brainwash them of what they'd done. Nor would they have opted to nuke a group of people rather than let the Avengers figure out what they were doing.

Before Dubya, the Ultimate X-Men were going to be a presidential task force who took care of the missions conventional military couldn't (remember the initial preview shown in Wizard with Mystique on the team). 2000 came along and with Dubya's victory came a new outlook on the Ult. X-Men. Coincidence?

I honestly think that the way authority figures are viewed these days has affected the portrayal of Xavier, who personifies WASPs, even though in ideology he is supposed to be MLK Jr. or Ghandi.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it, maybe I'm not. I don't know. But I don't think that Xavier would have been sullied up like this if a more liberal-friendly regime was in the White House.

or that SHIELD an international spy organization would enforce USA laws....
anyhow that makes lots of sense

The funniest part of this thread is sebita saying he doesn't like retcons. His entire fandom is based upon retcons.

sebita said:
Onslaught was a separate entity, a being comprised of Xavier and Magneto, sort of like their child. Wolverazio... read Wolverine 104-105

Yeah, I read it and it's BS and no it's not. Onslaught is Xavier. While he grew to be a separate entity, he was still first and foremost Xavier.

Trust me, Pejo and I went through this about a year or two ago and we were bouncing all over the place.

Wolverazio said:
Yeah, let's be fair, Kitty knew this all along.

That is why Kitty is the greatest X-Men of all time. She knew this when she was 13. It took most of the other x-Men 10years to figure it out.

Let's be real, shall we? Even before the retcons, Xavier was a man who decided it would be best to recruit a team of teenagers to risk their lives for a world that hates them. Iceman wasn't even 18 at the time. I don't think Jean & Scott were, either.

After promoting his peaceful agenda and teaching his X-Men pacifism, he then hired... an assassin?

They've been hinting at Xavier's dark side for years, our current president has nothing to do with it. And I really don't see how the events revealed in Deadly Genesis really qualify as a retcon. It's not like they're just changing history because it's convenient, they're simply showing us that things didn't occur quite the way wer believed them to have occurred.

Sun_Down said:
It's not like they're just changing history because it's convenient, they're simply showing us that things didn't occur quite the way wer believed them to have occurred.
Yes, via retcon. It is a retcon to say that Cyclops' reason for escaping Krakoa was different than what we had earlier been led to believe.

Sun_Down said:
They've been hinting at Xavier's dark side for years, our current president has nothing to do with it. And I really don't see how the events revealed in Deadly Genesis really qualify as a retcon. It's not like they're just changing history because it's convenient, they're simply showing us that things didn't occur quite the way wer believed them to have occurred.

I don't understand how you think it's not changing history.:confused:

I think we all need a quick refresher...

Retcon: Retro-Active Continuity. A retcon isn't necessarily the changing of history, as it is the adding to history. For example, Jessica Jones' origins are a retcon, even though they don't necessarily contradict any previously written Marvel history.

If I were to write a comic in which I stated that Cyclops gets his hair cut by Archangel, that would be a retcon. I would have added to established history. Likewise, if I were to say Cyclops' beams don't work when it's below 10 degrees C, that would be a retcon as well, even though I just blatantly changed history.

Manic said:
I think we all need a quick refresher...

Retcon: Retro-Active Continuity. A retcon isn't necessarily the changing of history, as it is the adding to history. For example, Jessica Jones' origins are a retcon, even though they don't necessarily contradict any previously written Marvel history.

If I were to write a comic in which I stated that Cyclops gets his hair cut by Archangel, that would be a retcon. I would have added to established history. Likewise, if I were to say Cyclops' beams don't work when it's below 10 degrees C, that would be a retcon as well, even though I just blatantly changed history.

Adding to history IS changing it. Especially in this case, where we already HAD an existing history. This retcon drastically changed it.

Similarly, Tessa as Xavier's spy is a retcon. It "adds" to history, in a way that changes it drastically and makes a lot of stories a bit nonsensical.

FieryBalrog said:
Adding to history IS changing it. Especially in this case, where we already HAD an existing history. This retcon drastically changed it.

Similarly, Tessa as Xavier's spy is a retcon. It "adds" to history, in a way that changes it drastically and makes a lot of stories a bit nonsensical.
All changes to history are added, but not all adds to history are changes. Sometimes things can be added without changing anything around it.

Dude after civil war its like time to get the band back together and lose all the x-men in training. I wanna see a cover with all the good team members on the cover.

http://drsordid.blogspot.com/2006/02/professor-xavier-is-jerk.html That was hilarious.

I don't mind retcons as long as they make sense (for example, AStonishing 14's retcon of how Summers sees the world, in terms of red, not yellow like a certain writer said), what I don't like is that they're doing a lot of retcons at the same time to make Xavier look like an SOB. The occassional retcon about Xavier's past is nice, it even tells more story, but to be attacked by a series of continuing retcons all at the same time is overwhelming to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"