Sequels Will Darkseid work in Superman Movies?

The critics would jump all over the biblically titled planets and biblically themed characters. It wouldn't be long before someone on cable news would be saying the word anti-semite. I mean, have you watched the news lately? Have you watched it today? The US vetoed UN sanctions and now, for the first time in 24 years, it's out and out war.

Apokolyps-NewGods01.JPG

I'm a fan of the allusions to Norse mythology, but it could be done in bad taste. Some people are going to see gleaming blonde glorified Nazi's, others are going to see Apokolips as code for the middle east in general or specifically muslim countries with a lot of oil (and zero peace). I just feel that that back story could be left open for a prequel. The audience is introduced to Darkseid with just enough information so that the character, like Magneto, could have an entire history to be told. If they tried to cram it all into a Superman movie, I have no faith in it being done correctly.

It is like in Xmen, the fans know Mystique is the mother of Nightcrawler, but they never address it in the film. There are certain levels you can go with film where you can speak in the subtext to the audience who knows the mythology. Darkseid's life story does not need to be told in a Superman movie...a better example; it would be like if, in twenty years they restarted the Spiderman films, and one of the villains were the Hulk. Such movie would not be consumed by the Hulk, it would still be a Spiderman movie, but Hulk, being the icon he is, would make the ultimate villain (and set up a decent Hulk movie afterwards).

There are some characters that could be brought in with Darkseid as allusions to Kirby's twin worlds.

Example: Raker Qarrigat

Qarrigatakopolips.jpg

Darkseid would need more than one movie to set up. It would be great if he were set up across a lot of dC movies, then had a show down with Superman.

Maybe do a Martian Manhunter movie that sets up Kanto?

venom420 said:
Anything done by Timm/Dini blows away Dougherty/Harris. My dream Superman crew would be a script written by Paul Dini/Bruce Timm and directed by Peter Jackson.

:up: I cant stop freaking out thinking if those guys where ever given the chance i mean can you imagine Jacksons Metropolis .

SatEL said:
:up: I cant stop freaking out thinking if those guys where ever given the chance i mean can you imagine Jacksons Metropolis .

Jackson/Weta or James Cameron/ILM + Williams' score = :up:

I don't want another director taking the character so personally - it's not good. He thinks the audience will see what HE wants to see. It's the same reason why Kong didn't feel 100% right. Jackson has too much reverence to the material.

Doomsday demands a chunk of movie to himself... if they can't give time to show Apokalips for what it is, and the technology of Boom Tubes, Mother Boxes and the Omega effect, and make parademons look cool, they can't use Darkseid...

I could see Darkseid in a third film, if it happens. For the sequel though, i want Brainiac.

You are all dreaming if you think you're going to see a serious take on any of villains from Supes rogues gallery. You couldn't even get a real Luthor. I can't imagine how stupid a Darkseid or Brainiac would look on film with these hack writers.

Does anyone know about WB supposedly not having the rites to use Darkseid ?

One way to bring Darkseid in is to connect him to Superman's five-year space jaunt.

Maybe he encountered Darkseid along the way. Perhaps he helped liberate Apokolips or depose Darkseid, and Darkseid followed him to Earth for revenge.

That way you can keep Darkseid extraterrestrial, but a bit mysterious and not bring in the New Gods backstory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"