The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Will Michael Massee return?

I find this universal acceptance from the fans pretty interesting as for the longest people said Massee was a great choice and then when Harry Osborn was cast, people kept showing how the two actors looked "so much alike" until Cooper was cast, lol.

As I said, I never liked the choice of Massee because I really can't see him play the businessman type, like Cooper is very good at. I didn't want Massee to be Osborn ever since I saw his appearance.

I haven't seen people change their mind too much either. I've seen lots of people here who liked the choice of Massee and still think it's sad he's replaced.

I still think and hope that Webb's secret villain will be Mysterio for the 3rd film. the Francis Klum version can teleport and his appearance kinda resemble Michael Massee a little. Electro & Rhino will be great I know it in ASM2.

Webb version of Spiderman is fantastic and yes its my honest opinion.

What do you think? does the mystery man still exist for later films? As Webb said in dvd "there may be more forces at work than what we think"

Mysterio, Chameleon or The Jackal for Massee. :woot:

As I said, I never liked the choice of Massee because I really can't see him play the businessman type, like Cooper is very good at. I didn't want Massee to be Osborn ever since I saw his appearance.

I haven't seen people change their mind too much either. I've seen lots of people here who liked the choice of Massee and still think it's sad he's replaced.

If indeed that is the case. We're still left with the possibility that he was never meant to be Norman, but likely works for him.

I recall hearing from a few different people that Massee was just playing a henchman for Osborn. Honestly, he comes across to me as a far better Mysterio than Osborn. I'd love to see Mysterio finally grace the big screen, since he's probably one of the better Spidey rogues.

Rhys Ifans did say that the actor wasn't playing Osborn after the film had release, but some just didn't want to hear that. Though for all we know that might not be true and he could have been kidding, but there's nothing that really points towards that as a possibility and his interview is still the strongest source on Masse's possible role.

I am going back to my old thoery of him being "the Cat" Hardy

I still think and hope that Webb's secret villain will be Mysterio for the 3rd film. the Francis Klum version can teleport and his appearance kinda resemble Michael Massee a little. Electro & Rhino will be great I know it in ASM2.

Webb version of Spiderman is fantastic and yes its my honest opinion.

What do you think? does the mystery man still exist for later films? As Webb said in dvd "there may be more forces at work than what we think"

Mysterio, Chameleon or The Jackal for Massee. :woot:

I don't think the man in the shadows is mysterio, but going on about mysterio as the villain for the third movie, that would be awesome.
I'm a mysterio fan, and would love to see him done in a movie.
I wonder how they would handle him though..in terms of costume and everything. You have to admit that his costume in the comics wouldn't translate well. His skills, and his theme though, I feel like would do enough for a whole movie, I can see that.

I actually had the opportunity to speak to Avi Arad months ago and suggested if Mysterio would be the villain for TASM2, and he said, "ah well that's not an easy one to do." Thought I'd mention that haha.

Last edited:
I can't agree with Arad there. Why would Mysterio be so hard to do compared to e.g. Lizard? Is it because of the way he looks?

I personally wanted Masse to be Osborn. I know this is ignorant to say but, I think Masse fits the role better than Cooper. I mean, just watch his performance in The Crow. He definitely comes off evil and plays the part well.

I'm not too familiar with Cooper's roles. I don't know how well he can play evil.

I can't agree with Arad there. Why would Mysterio be so hard to do compared to e.g. Lizard? Is it because of the way he looks?

Looks-wise, I think Mysterio is fairly easy to translate onscreen...because of the nature of his villainy, he should be theatrical and a little over-the-top. I think it's moreso making him a threat to Spider-man beyond illusions and cheap-parlour tricks, which is what he's mainly known for. There haven't been many instances where 616 Mysterio has been a massive challenge for Spidey as opposed to an errand boy for someone like Doc Ock. Teaming him up with someone else would probably serve him best...like how they did on the SSM animated series with the Tinkerer...that was a great villain combo.

I don't think the man in the shadows is mysterio, but going on about mysterio as the villain for the third movie, that would be awesome.
I'm a mysterio fan, and would love to see him done in a movie.
I wonder how they would handle him though..in terms of costume and everything. You have to admit that his costume in the comics wouldn't translate well. His skills, and his theme though, I feel like would do enough for a whole movie, I can see that.

I actually had the opportunity to speak to Avi Arad months ago and suggested if Mysterio would be the villain for TASM2, and he said, "ah well that's not an easy one to do." Thought I'd mention that haha.

That is very interesting you met Avi & it must have been a slow pause given his usual response,

I still regard Marc Webb words to be more important for future character ideas. He has already said he likes Mysterio as a fan.

If Marc helms all 3 stories he must have a vision already in place for next installment. It might be GG, Mysterio, Jackal, Kraven, Chameleon but as the man said about Man In Shadows "I invite speculation" he is probably watching these forums as I type. Keep him in his toes and we might get a real suprise in a few years time. :woot::applaud

Probably due to in my opinion, looks. But not so much. When I say looks, I mean costume. I really doubt they're gonna go with a cape and a fishbowl head.

But I think he mainly meant his illusions. I don't know..

Rhys Ifans did say that the actor wasn't playing Osborn after the film had release, but some just didn't want to hear that.

Well in their defense, actors are notorious for lying to the media when trying to keep something a secret. They throw red herrings all the time to ensure shock value. With the digital age, it's hard for the "wow" factor to be felt in modern films.

That is, if they aren't closely guarded.

That is very interesting you met Avi & it must have been a slow pause given his usual response,

I still regard Marc Webb words to be more important for future character ideas. He has already said he likes Mysterio as a fan.

If Marc helms all 3 stories he must have a vision already in place for next installment. It might be GG, Mysterio, Jackal, Kraven, Chameleon but as the man said about Man In Shadows "I invite speculation" he is probably watching these forums as I type. Keep him in his toes and we might get a real suprise in a few years time. :woot::applaud

True. Not really slow responses but he did have a cigar in his mouth haha.

Would anyone be against Masse playing Miles Warren? I don't know, after watching ASM the other day I just got a vibe that's who he could be.

Is sure that Cooper is Osborn ? Maybe they are doing us sth like Nolan did with Talia ?

Is sure that Cooper is Osborn ? Maybe they are doing us sth like Nolan did with Talia ?

That was different. Miranda Tate isn't a name known from the comics, plus set pictures of her getting into a stolen tumbler added with confirmation from the cast that TDKR would have callbacks to BB pretty much sealed the deal that she was Talia, which they clearly attempted to cover up. Not so with Cooper as Norman.

Would anyone be against Masse playing Miles Warren? I don't know, after watching ASM the other day I just got a vibe that's who he could be.

That would be pretty cool, since I don't think a character like Warren has been attempted by a superhero film before. To be quite honest, I always felt kinda creeped out by the Jackal. He just really made me feel uncomfortable down to my bones, so, if they can pull him off on screen, I'm down for that.

Well in their defense, actors are notorious for lying to the media when trying to keep something a secret. They throw red herrings all the time to ensure shock value. With the digital age, it's hard for the "wow" factor to be felt in modern films.

That is, if they aren't closely guarded.

No, I think fanboys make way more out of the few instances in which actors have lied. And I'm not one to brand them all the same when it's convenient because some have lied once or twice.

Back to Masse. As another left field idea, what would anyone say to him being someone like Hammerhead? I was just thinking if they were to pursue Osborn as wannabe criminal mastermind angle then an adaptation of Hammerhead could work as a henchmen of sorts.

I would accept that idea or again Mysterio. What version of Jackal would translate to screen best?

2458851-orig_56091_1_1300250446_super.jpg

633189-2.jpg

I also loved these two concept ideas for Mysterio

images

images

Jackal or the voice of Green Goblin. I'd be okay with either one.

Having just re-watched Massee's scene again I think I'd be diappointed if it ends up he was supposed to be Norman and they changed actors. Massee's delivery is way over the top (and awesome) but Cooper's a more subtle actor and it will be a jarring difference. Was the fact they showed him holding a hat in his hands significant? Can't see how it could be but the hat did get a closeup. :p

All in all I find it more likely that Massee is some villainous presence we haven't even heard of yet in the movie or someone higher up than even Norman in the grand scheme of things. I don't know.

Don't think he's Norman though. In OSCORP they have that big hologram-like sign with a silhouette of Norman and it looks quite different from Massee's profile.

Just some ponderings/ramblings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"