The Avengers Will this be the biggest superhero movie ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, TDKR just broke the iTunes record set by the Avengers, so you can leave that out of the discussion.

Well, TDKR just broke the iTunes record set by the Avengers, so you can leave that out of the discussion.

I fully expected it to, and it was only by 2 million which says a lot. That these movies are closer in hype/anticipation than nolanites think.

Fair being fair, Avengers has already put out as many trailers as TKDR, if not more.

Perhaps now the significance of the Ipad app is becoming more apparent, though I'm curious as to what the hobbit numbers are.

I fully expected it to, and it was only by 2 million which says a lot. That these movies are closer in hype/anticipation than nolanites think.
I think it does not matter so much. The itunes record keeps on getting broken. It is like how movies are becoming more front loaded. I would not be surprised if The Hobbit beats TDKR in downloads.

Yeah how much a trailer is downloaded on itunes or watched on youtube is not a very accurate indiciation of how well it's going to do in the box office.

the subgenre is going to get crowded *real* quick in 2012, with Battleship and MIBIII hot on the heels of the Avengers less than 2 weeks later.

Unless Avengers turns out to be as bland as CA:TFA, I can't see these two movies being a major contender. Battleship has no major buzz behind it, that I know of, and Will Smith's star is considerably dimmer than it was a few years ago.

Unless Avengers turns out to be bland, I can't see these two movies being a major contender. Battleship has no major buzz behind it, that I know of, and Will Smith's star is considerably dimmer than it was a few years ago.
fix'd

Heh.
I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

I mean seriously, you don't need to constantly remind us how much you hate ca:tfa.

Wow, this is hilarious...

*Sigh*

It's hilarious to hear people even group TDKR with Avengers. They're like not even in the same realm.

Avengers = fluff
TDKR = art

More doesn't always equal better, and this thinking that having all these heroes is gonna make Avengers a monumental success are extremely backwards. You watch The Avengers trailer and it's like "some cool action all of which I've seen before somewhere else, scored to a bad choice of music" and you watch TDKR and it's like "something relevant and cutting and true to form, scored to music that enhances and provides the movie's tone."

What kind of competition is TDKR facing anyway? Has July surpassed the beginning of May as far as best time to release a blockbuster?

Wow, this is hilarious...

*Sigh*

It's hilarious to hear people even group TDKR with Avengers. They're like not even in the same realm.

Avengers = fluff
TDKR = art

More doesn't always equal better, and this thinking that having all these heroes is gonna make Avengers a monumental success are extremely backwards. You watch The Avengers trailer and it's like "some cool action all of which I've seen before somewhere else, scored to a bad choice of music" and you watch TDKR and it's like "something relevant and cutting and true to form, scored to music that enhances and provides the movie's tone."

apparently more equals worse right?

Outside of how closed minded most of what you wrote here is, I'd say Avengers success is riding on Joss Whedon first shot at a budgeted tent pole in this genre. It's either going to suck or be the greatest. Either way it's not going to be like the bland work that's come before.

Hopefully it's in the vain of his work on Astonishing Xmen.

July always has been no?

I always thought the beginning of May was the holy grail slot. But now it's like July has all the movies that break records. Or it has always been that way and I never noticed until recently.

They're like not even in the same realm.
Yeah, but not in the way you mean. They're completely different and either has a chance at being the better or more successful movie, even though it doesn't matter as long as they're both good and successful.

Also:
Avengers =/= fluff

art =/= better

art =/= money

more =/= money

your opinion =/= the truth

:yay: = smiley

Scarlett Johansson's ass = *****

my stomach = hungry

Last edited:
apparently more equals worse right?

Outside of how closed minded most of what you wrote here is, I'd say Avengers success is riding on Joss Whedon first shot at a budgeted tent pole in this genre. It's either going to suck or be the greatest. Either way it's not going to be like the bland work that's come before.

Hopefully it's in the vain of his work on Astonishing Xmen.

Marvel has a very strong philosophy: directors wrangle actors, Marvel directs everything else. That's why all their movies feel so much the same despite the directors. Avengers will be no different.

2:1 romantic comedy contrast ratio
Obligatory action sequences.
Non-existent character development

I always thought the beginning of May was the holy grail slot. But now it's like July has all the movies that break records. Or it has always been that way and I never noticed until recently.

4th of july weekend has always been a grail of some sort. The thing about may is that if a film doesn't make a large impact it get's forgotten big time as the thinker segment of summer begins. A LA Troy.

Marvel does have a way of working that May spot hard. They get to arrive and act like they're the ****. Before the heavy hitters start arming.

Marvel has a very strong philosophy: directors wrangle actors, Marvel directs everything else. That's why all their movies feel so much the same despite the directors. Avengers will be no different.

seriously?

I tend to agree...

only not this time.

I thought Thor and Cap did quite a good job on character development

but hey.... thats just me...

DC hit a winner out of the park with Batman

they struck out HORRIBLY with Green Lantern.....

4th of july weekend has always been a grail of some sort. The thing about may is that if a film doesn't make a large impact it get's forgotten big time as the thinker segment of summer begins. A LA Troy.

Marvel does have a way of working that May spot hard. They get to arrive and act like they're the ****. Before the heavy hitters start arming.

That makes sense. I remember Will Smith being the big to do during July 4th weekends. And I agree about the Marvel thing. Not a single one of their movies could take on the likes of Transformers or Harry Potter. At least not with their current style of film making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"