Wizard World Philly

Because saying ''No suprises or entertainment and 100% BS is comin' your way true believers!'' won't give Joey Q the Ka-Ching needed for his donuts :(

Muze said:
as far as complaints go, isn't that kind of petty. you don't like that they're putting Braddock back in the mix instead of retiring him to limbo so that no one else can read about him? yeah, it was cool that he was King of Otherworld. but it meant the end of his story in some ways. i think it's always better to let the story continue if possible. now, i would be angry if i were a huge fan of Kelsey Leigh, although i think she should have been created as just another UK hero instead of an actual 'Captain Britain.'
Sure, it's petty. So? I prefer the Captain Britain who has one foot in Avalon and one foot in the multiverse, not the Captain Britain who's relegated to being a random face in a sea of mutants.

Also, his Nazi pants suck. The rest of the costume is cool, but those pants... let the Nazi look die. :(

Another report from the X-Men panel:

WIZ PHILLY: X-MEN: What Happens Next?
BY PULSE CORRESPONDENT MITCH MALTENFORT

The panel was made up of Joe Queseda, Chris Claremont, Tony Bedard, Mike Marts, Nick Lowe and Sean Ryan. If the Crisis Dan DiDio panel was a pep rally, the looser tone of the X-Men panel was reminiscent of a mellower frat party. Joe Quesada was moderator, although that may seem a mismatch of concepts.

The event began with a slide show with future artwork. Among the items:

*According to a mock-up of a T-shirt labeled "Exiles World Tour," Exiles 69-82 will take them on a tour of Earth-616 (mainstream Earth), the New Universe, 2099, the Squadron Supreme's world, and the Future Imperfect world.

* The New Excalibur is based in England, and its membership includes Captain Britain and Pete Wisdom. Chris Claremont promised comedy and adventure, and declared that everyone who complained that the Excalibur series set on Genosha abandoned Excalibur's roots was obligated to buy three copies of the first issue. Other members will be Juggernaut, Sage, Dazzler and Nocturne. The team will be formed to deal with particular repercussions of House of M.

*X-23 will be joining New X-Men. When asked why so many of Marvel's series were "New," Joe Q replied "I like the word. It's just an adjective, like 'Amazing' and 'Incredible.'"

*Colossus will have his own mini-series as pointed out on THE PULSE here: http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=003841 , written by David Hine, which would have a "massive impact on his life."

*Kitty Pryde returns to Japan in a mini-series by Akira Yoshida and Paul Smith.

* The X-Men have a cross-over with Black Panther, X-Men 175 and 176 and Black Panther 8 and 9. The featured artwork reveals Storm mostly revealed by a drape of fabric, reminiscent of how she appeared after Arcade and a Doombot turned her into organic chrome way back when. The original artwork was done by Frank Cho, and an undraped version is supposedly available. (A nude version of Shanna the She-Devil was also promised, with the same grain of salt).

During the questions from the audience, answers usually came from Joe Quesada:

QUESTION: Any cancellations following House of M?

ANSWER: "Not...[pause]...immediately."

QUESTIOIN: What consequences would Wolverine face following "Enemy of the State?"

ANSWER: Chris Claremont indicated that Wolverine would face a number of consequences from that plotline and from his "very unique way of severing relations with women of the Grey family."

QUESTION: When will the third Summers brother be revealed?

ANSWER: "X-Men:The End, Volume 2, number 5," Claremont promised.

Joe Q responded to the charge that Wolverine is overexposed by pointing out that in X-Men: The End, "Wolverine has nothing to do with the story. He's had his end. This is the X-Men's turn."

When asked about future work with Kevin Smith, Joe Q said "I forgot to give my usual disclaimer. I don't know when Spider-Man/Black Cat and Daredevil: Target are due." Joe Q was then asked about Daredevil: Father, and replied "September."

QUESTION: A young woman in the front row asked "Why do you keep killing Jean Grey."

ANSWER: Joe Q replied "She eats with her mouth full. That'll show her. She's almost been created to be killed, like Kenny from 'South Park.' " She is dead for the foreseeable future, and her return would have to be part of a very strong story.

Joe Q said that there has been a lot of focus on his exact words, "dead is dead." He stated that character resurrections, like character returns, should be significant. Even if the death is made with the plan to return the character, the return should be a good story or it would not happen. Colossus was cited as an example: an altruistic death followed by a poignant return.

Psylocke's return seems to be an exception, but as Claremont points out "no one was expecting it." X-Men 460 has hints that something was behind Psylocke's mysterious resurrection, and that there may be problems for her down the line. "Is she her own person, a pawn, or a zuvembie? She has a second chance and doesn't know why, and is looking over her shoulder in case it happens again."

can we change the law so that i can punch Quesada in the face? he manages to piss me off whenever he opens that gaping maw of his. he calls Colossus' return poignant? buh-whuhhh?? that's his example of an exception to 'dead is dead.' how is there an exception to an absolute statement like that anyways?

TheCorpulent1 said:
Sure, it's petty. So? I prefer the Captain Britain who has one foot in Avalon and one foot in the multiverse, not the Captain Britain who's relegated to being a random face in a sea of mutants.

Also, his Nazi pants suck. The rest of the costume is cool, but those pants... let the Nazi look die. :(

fair enough. but from what i remember, he had one foot firmly in Avalon and that's that. he wasn't going to appear anymore unless it was some giant see-through apparition. how boring is that? sounds to me like he's leading this new team. that's not being a random face. i could do without the mutants but oh well. if it's just his costume you're ragging on, i can agree with that. i didn't mind his costume in the last Excalibur mini or his original costume. and since when do Nazis own a fashion?

So, Joe Q's response to the fact that Wolverine is overexposed by appearing in his own comic, New Avengers, every X-title, and many, many guest appearances is that he doesn't play a big role in X-Men: The End? What the hell kind of answer is that? :confused:

Also, "New" is not an adjective that's just like "Amazing" or "Incredible." It's trite and it becomes dated after like 10 issues. Plus, it loses all of its meaning if everything Marvel publishes features a "New" before it.

In all likelihood I won't be reading New Excalibur anyway, so Captain Britain's presence doesn't really bother me that much. Just seems like they're squandering him in the muddled X-universe when they could've put out a few more minis like the last Excalibur one, focusing on the Arthurian and multiverse aspects of the character.

TheCorpulent1 said:
So, Joe Q's response to the fact that Wolverine is overexposed by appearing in his own comic, New Avengers, every X-title, and many, many guest appearances is that he doesn't play a big role in X-Men: The End? What the hell kind of answer is that? :confused:

Also, "New" is not an adjective that's just like "Amazing" or "Incredible." It's trite and it becomes dated after like 10 issues. Plus, it loses all of its meaning if everything Marvel publishes features a "New" before it.

In all likelihood I won't be reading New Excalibur anyway, so Captain Britain's presence doesn't really bother me that much. Just seems like they're squandering him in the muddled X-universe when they could've put out a few more minis like the last Excalibur one, focusing on the Arthurian and multiverse aspects of the character.

but how do you know the New series doesnt have the Arthurian aspects to it.....

Well, I'm excited for New Excaliber. **** dude, Nocturne and Juggy? Sign me up!

The Exiles info is pretty kick ass. I might have to start reading it.

roach said:
but how do you know the New series doesnt have the Arthurian aspects to it.....
If it does, I will be pleasantly surprised and take it all back, same as I did for Young Avengers. But it doesn't look like it's focusing on Arthurian stuff at the moment, considering the rest of the cast, the fact that it's supposed to deal with repercussions from House of M, a mutant-centric story, and the fact that it's being written by Claremont, who's pretty much only concerned with the little X-corner of Marvel.

euroq said:
Well, it's from Newsarama.. I'd guess so.
If it's on the computernet then it must be true. ;)

I'd love to see the New U again. I'd rather a MAX limited series but I'll take what I can get. :)

masteryoda said:
If it's on the computernet then it must be true. ;)

Yes. :mad: :)

Marvel's House of M Panel @ WW: Philadelphia
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Marvel’s House of M panel has just wrapped at WizardWorld: Philadelphia, here are the notes and news:
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And yes, it looks like the King of Spain no longer has a role in House of M, given the revised cover to The Pulse House of M Special Edition. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Given the secretive nature of Marvel’s House of M, not many plot points were revealed at today’s House of M panel at WizardWorld: Philadelphia, though that’s not to say the gathering wasn’t without some interesting bits. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keeping a theme of starting their panels with music, the panel had Black Eyed Peas’ “Let’s Get it Started” play as people entered. Joe Quesada quickly moved to the Powerpoint presentation, channeled Magneto for a brief period in presenting the individual images, and then opened things up to comments, questions, and answers.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While the covers to House of M #2, #3, and #5 were shown, the cover to #4 was not, replaced by a “Classified” image. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Everything we do for the next 18 months comes out of House of M,” Editor Tom Brevoort said, with Mike Marts adding that, “The event is big enough to force us to cancel or end certain titles, and start new ones.”[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brevoort added that status quos of characters will change as a result of House of M, some of which will hearken back to previous relationships seen in years past.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Asked how the Young Avengers will be affected by the House of M storyline, Brevoort said that issues #9-#12 of that series will deal with fallout from the summer’s uberstory. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quesada twice reiterated that a writer has been selected, and cool plans are afoot for Moon Knight, hinting that the character will see a return round the beginning of 2006. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Asked about feedback on the early issues of Black Panther, Quesada said that it’s been similar to other Marvel series, no less positive, and no more negative. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Much of the Q&A came down to fans asking about favorite characters, and as such: [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are plenty of plans for Carol Danvers, though whether or not she will take the name Ms. Marvel again following House of M was not stated. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marts said that there are long-terms plans for Polaris (Lorna Dane), following House of M, which will address questions surrounding the character, assumedly, whether or not she is, in fact, Magneto’s daughter. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There will be more information in House of M about the “Magneto” who virtually destroyed New York near the end of Grant Morrison’s New X-Men run. It has been speculated that the version of Magneto who acted as such and perhaps even posed as Xorn was a construct of the Scarlet Witch in her pre-Avengers Disassembled madness. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Asked if Luke Cage will ever get a costume, Brevoort said that the issue will be addressed in The Pulse #11. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Talking about Young Avengers again, issues #7 and #8 will deal with the characters’ backstories – parents will be introduced, and more will be learned about the characters themselves. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Though not saying who, Quesada said that Marvel has secured a “stellar” creative team for Iron Man, post the Warren Ellis/Adi Granov run. The Editor in Chief implied that the announcement of the new team would be coming later this summer. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Likewise, Quesada said that this summer, Marvel would announce a major exclusive creator signing.
[/font]

Looking forward to those Young Avengers issues. Backstories ahoy!
euroq said:
Images from HoM panel
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
http://www.newsarama.com/wwphilly05/Marvel/HouseofM/WWPhilHoM.htm
[/font]
Spidey's House of M costume looks damn spiffy on that Finch cover. Mayhew's new Pulse cover doesn't really look as striking as the previous one, but whatever. Gotta avoid the lawsuits.

The New Excalibur kind of looks Interesting to me so I’m going to have to check it out

And JMS Q & A:

The J. Michael Straczynski Panel @ WW: Philadelphia

The J. Michael Straczynski panel has just wrapped at WizardWorld: Philadelphia, and here are teh news and notes...

A storyteller, even in his panels, J. Michael Straczynski’s panel at WizardWorld: Philadelphia was peppered with anecdotes, remembrances (his first meeting with one of his heroes, Rod Serling, for example), hints and teases of what’s coming up in his comics, as well as a focus on the smaller, more character-oriented moments he enjoys writing, and is proudest of.

Getting into the questions, answers, and teases…

Asked about the complications that living in Stark Tower could present for Peter Parker and Mary Jane (as a result fo Aunt May’s house being burned down in Amazing Spider-Man #518), Straczynski agreed that it does present challeneges for the characetsr. The writer further elaborated by telling of an upcoming story wherein Peter and MJ will become separated late at night, forcing Mary Jane to travel to Stark Tower on her own.

Upon arriving, she’s spotted by paparazzi who ask why she’s going to Stark Tower at 2:00 am. A quick story about a meeting with Tony Star later, MJ and Peter will find their marriage the subject of tabloid speculation.

Along the same theme, Straczynski said that coming up in Amazing Spider-Man, Aunt May and Jarvis’ relationship moves to the next level, much to Peter’s dismay. There’s a strong likelihood that Aunt May will stay at Stark Tower when Peter and MJ eventually move to their own apartment.

Also on the Spider-Man front, JMS began the panel asking how many of those present liked the “Sins Past” storyline. A smattering of applause came back. When asked how many people didn’t like it, only one hand slowly went up.

Asked who he felt Peter should ultimately be with, Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy, JMS tossed ideas back and forth for a few minutes, centering on the fact that Gwen is dead, and Peter having a relationship with a dead woman would show an entirely new, and disturbing side of his character. Ultimately, addressing the context of the question, JMS said that he feels Peter is a better match with MJ than with Gwen.

Straczynski said that he is currently working with Marvel Productions in regards to developing a television series based on Marvel characters. According to JMS, budgeting talks will be held in August, and if the series is greenlit, and moves forward, a debut could be as early as late 2006. Familiar with television, JMS added that nothing is definite at this stage, and urged attendees not to be disappointed if nothing comes of the talks, though he is hopeful.

Asked (jokingly) if he has plans to reveal a secret tryst between Sue Richards and Galactus, now that he’s writing the Fantastic Four, Straczynski laughed, later promising that there would be no revelation of relations between Sue and Galactus.

On the FF front however, JMS said that an upcoming storyline will see Child Welfare coming to the Baxter Building to speak with Franklin Richards about his parents, and the adventures he and his sister find themselves having, living with the Fantastic Four. The story hits the major appeal of the FF for him, Straczynski said, a blend between the cosmic and the family relationship sides of things, and this coming story will explore the family side of the equation, and the fact that the children do live in an occasionally dangerous environment.

As for continuing with Dr. Strange, JMS said that he has a full workload now, and that Marvel is waiting to see how the Strange miniseries performs as a whole, and what to do with the character from the launching pad the miniseries represented. JMS added that he won’t be involved with the character’s immediate future.

On the subject of other publishers and characters, JMS retold the story of Jeph Loeb telling him that whenever he’s no longer exclusive with Marvel, there’s a Superman book with his name on it at DC. Straczynski said that his rules are to work with anybody – and not restrict himself, but he wondered aloud at how well he would work with DC, commenting that the publisher, compared to Marvel, is more “handcuffy.”

The film rights to Rising Stars, previously held by Atlas Entertainment, have expired, and currently, according to JMS, there are three studios vying for the rights to the story.

Speaking of Supreme Power, JSM said that Mark Milton/Hyperion will decide that the world would do better if he was in charge, a parallel of sorts to the Squadron Supreme maxiseries of years past, but with its own twist.

As for Babylon 5, JMS said that he told the story that he wanted to tell, and plans for a feature film based on the property never really came together. Right now, there are no plans for B5 for film, television, or books, according to the creator.

Also on the television front, Straczynski fielded a (or the obligatory) Star Trek question, about a reported meeting that he had with Paramount about him writing Star Trek. Setting the record straight, JMS clarified, saying that he and Bryce Zable (creator of Dark Skies) wrote a treatment for a reboot of Star Trek. They did speak to Paramount about it, but as JMS explained it, the studio has a bad taste in their mouths over what has happened to the franchise over the years, up to and including the cancellation of Enterprise. He said that Paramount is looking to take two or three years off of the franchise, but the day they decide to come back to it, JMS said, “I’ll be there” (not in a contractual sense, but willing to work if called).

Asked about a scene in Amazing Spider-Man #500 which showed Peter Parker receiving the costume that he saw his future self die in, JMS said that he created the costume with a mind towards Marvel’s The End series, so there is a story behind it. While the story could be akin to a Dark Knight Returns version of Spider-Man, JMS said that there are no current plans, but he does know the story behind it.

Asked about the complications that living in Stark Tower could present for Peter Parker and Mary Jane (as a result fo Aunt May’s house being burned down in Amazing Spider-Man #518), Straczynski agreed that it does present challeneges for the characetsr. The writer further elaborated by telling of an upcoming story wherein Peter and MJ will become separated late at night, forcing Mary Jane to travel to Stark Tower on her own.

Upon arriving, she’s spotted by paparazzi who ask why she’s going to Stark Tower at 2:00 am. A quick story about a meeting with Tony Star later, MJ and Peter will find their marriage the subject of tabloid speculation.

Along the same theme, Straczynski said that coming up in Amazing Spider-Man, Aunt May and Jarvis’ relationship moves to the next level, much to Peter’s dismay. There’s a strong likelihood that Aunt May will stay at Stark Tower when Peter and MJ eventually move to their own apartment.

Also on the Spider-Man front, JMS began the panel asking how many of those present liked the “Sins Past” storyline. A smattering of applause came back. When asked how many people didn’t like it, only one hand slowly went up.

Asked who he felt Peter should ultimately be with, Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy, JMS tossed ideas back and forth for a few minutes, centering on the fact that Gwen is dead, and Peter having a relationship with a dead woman would show an entirely new, and disturbing side of his character. Ultimately, addressing the context of the question, JMS said that he feels Peter is a better match with MJ than with Gwen.

This Spidey stuffs sounds good. :D

Asked about a scene in Amazing Spider-Man #500 which showed Peter Parker receiving the costume that he saw his future self die in, JMS said that he created the costume with a mind towards Marvel’s The End series, so there is a story behind it. While the story could be akin to a Dark Knight Returns version of Spider-Man, JMS said that there are no current plans, but he does know the story behind it.

Maybe we'll see Spider-Man: The End by Jms someday, but I really don't want Peter to die in it. Give him a happy ending.

Maybe his happy ending will come before that. He could retire from superheroing and live to a ripe old age, then something happens and he's gotta put on the webs one more time. That'd be ok by me.

The tabloid stuff and the Aunt May/Jarvis relationship does sound pretty good. I really hope JR Jr. is back on ASM by then though. I just enjoy ASM less when Deodato's penciling it for some reason. :(

I agree, JR Jr is sorely missed.

I know he's doing that Sentry mini with Paul Jenkins but JR jr has to be the fastest penciler in the biz so that shouldn't prevent him from returning to ASM.

Make it happen Marvel!! :mad:

It's funny, JR Jr.'s basically an average-speed penciler for his era. He was cranking out Spider-Man and Thor comics simultaneously for a while, but it got to be too much for him so he dropped one while other artists from his day could pencil 2 or 3 monthlies at the same time consistently with only the odd fill-in now and then. But now he's considered one of the most efficient artists in the business because he's working alongside Marvel's new crop of artists, almost all of whom are horribly slow. :o

Sure, when compared to the artists of the past decades he isn't that fast. I don't think slow artists are solely Marvel's problem though, DC has plenty of them too. The difference is DC is more prone to use fill-in artists and maybe they also solicit their comics more carefully than Marvel so it only seems their books are less late.

Maybe. Marvel has this totally unfounded fear of fill-in artists though, like it's some cardinal sin to give an artist a breather by having a fill-in cover an issue or two. I can understand why they don't want to use them on The Ultimates or Supreme Power or anything; those are Millar/Hitch and JMS/Frank's babies, respectively. But come on, if an artist is lagging behind on a comic, throw another artist in. Marvel's list of shipping changes would probably let up quite a bit if they did that more often.

whoa..they're gonna try MK....please please please dont mess this up

The Spidey and FF stuff sound great!

Very curious as to which Marvel character is being considered for a tv series. I've heard Cloak & Dagger, as well as Brother VooDoo the past few years, and Ant Man and Morbius more recently...

Thanks Euroq (SuperHeroHype's star reporter!)

Supreme Power tv series could be interesting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"