Wolverine's Box Office Opponents: 2009 Summer Movies

SNIKT1950

Civilian
Reaction score
Next Summer is packed full of big action blockbusters.

From Star Trek to Terminator, from Transformers to G.I. Joe.

Out of all these multi-million dollar action/adventure flicks, which one is truly gonna give Wolverine a run for his money?

-X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1)

-Star Trek (May 8)

-The DaVinci Code: Angels and Demons (May 15)

-Terminator Salvation (May 22)

-Fast and Furious (June 12)

-Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen (June 26)

-Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince (July 17)

-G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra (August 7)

I think The Adamantium Man will OWN the Summer with that May 1 spot, while Harry Potter comes in 2nd in July and Transformers gets 3rd place in the longrun.

if anyone votes for GI Joe, baby Jesus will weep

Wolverine
Harry
Transformers
Star Trek
Terminator
Fast and the Furious
G.I. Joe
Angels and Demons

...2-5 spots will be close...!

are they making more than one GI Joe movie?

did anyone like transformers I thought it was stupid and looked really fake. like not as bad as spider-man swinging through the city in full cgi but pretty bad

I honestly think that Star Trek and Transformers will take up the top two spots. Paramount is really learning how to harness in Summer Movie buzz.

I actually liked TF's. I thought it was pretty cool, but I've a sucker for Transformers since I was wearing acid washed bugleboy jeans

Domestic or worldwide? Based on past performance, Harry Potter will blow away the competition worldwide.

X-men: Wolverine Origins is the only one I'll be seeing.

I think GI Joe is gonna bomb cause of how ridiculous it is whats the trailer its gonna show a war zone and stuff and look intense then at the end it says GI JOE and everyone will go what the ****?

why are people voting wolverine, I'd like it to be big but we all know its gonna be harry potter. Its the only movie franchise with its own amusement park coming

are they making more than one GI Joe movie?

did anyone like transformers I thought it was stupid and looked really fake. like not as bad as spider-man swinging through the city in full cgi but pretty bad

I liked it. It was a fun popcorn flick. What else do you expect from a movie about giant robots that turn into vehicles?

I think Transformers 2 will be box office king next year, followed by Potter. I think Terminator (if it's PG-13, which I hope it is because most R rated action movies today suck) & Wolverine will battle for the third spot. Pixar's movie will come in at 5, followed by Dreamworks Animation's movie.

I liked it. It was a fun popcorn flick. What else do you expect from a movie about giant robots that turn into vehicles?

I think Transformers 2 will be box office king next year, followed by Potter. I think Terminator (if it's PG-13, which I hope it is because most R rated action movies today suck) & Wolverine will battle for the third spot. Pixar's movie will come in at 5, followed by Dreamworks Animation's movie.

If Transformers 2 performs anything like its predecessor, Wolverine will have some stiff competition to say the least. Wolverine does have the advantage of its opening weekend. Still, even adjusted, none of the X-Men movies have cracked the $260 million mark. The Last Stand opened with a number that should have put it in the $300 million range, but it sank like a stone. Like you, I think Transformers 2 and Half Blood Prince may out-gross Wolverine, leaving it and (possibly) Terminator Salvation vying for third place. At best, I can see Wolverine earning $300 million, but that’s a stretch in my opinion. At this point, however, I think it’s too soon to say, as there hasn’t even been an official trailer released.

EDIT: I forgot about animated films. Those always have the potential to be top sellers.

Last edited:
Wolverine will be raped... it will be lucky to break 200.

Wolverine will be raped... it will be lucky to break 200.

Lucky to break $200???

The last two Wolverine movies that also carried "X-MEN" in the title made a combined $500 Million Domestically and at least $220 individually.

I dont expect Wolverine to reach Dark Knight's INSANE $500 Million, but I do expect it to knock down the 7 other movies that will open AFTER it.

That's the key - the Summer opener spot.

The spot that took IRON MAN to $200 Million BEFORE Indiana Jones gave him a run for his money.

Wolverine has that spot.

Well, only Wolverine, Harry Potter and Transformers can make 100+ mil/O.W. And I think Wolvie can make around 240-260 in the North America.

Lucky to break $200???

The last two Wolverine movies that also carried "X-MEN" in the title made a combined $500 Million Domestically and at least $220 individually.

I dont expect Wolverine to reach Dark Knight's INSANE $500 Million, but I do expect it to knock down the 7 other movies that will open AFTER it.

That's the key - the Summer opener spot.

The spot that took IRON MAN to $200 Million BEFORE Indiana Jones gave him a run for his money.

Wolverine has that spot.

I think Trek and Angels & Demons is a little more formidable compared to Narnia 2 and Speed Racer. I might not even see Wolverine opening weekend. I don't think it will do all that well.

I think like other users:

Transformers and Harry Potter.

and next I'd say Star Trek... maybe.

why are people voting wolverine, I'd like it to be big but we all know its gonna be harry potter. Its the only movie franchise with its own amusement park coming

And Harry Potter was pushed back from a November release date, the fans are going to be clamoring to see it by the time July rolls around.

Transformers is going to be huge too.

Transformers 2 is going to be the movie to beat next summer. It's going to be huuuge.

I think if Wolverine gets above $200m domestic, that should be seen as a success. I'm just hoping it does does a lot better than The Incredible Hulk (whatever the spin, that has to be a big disappointment).

I want to see this movie and I think it has a good chance of doing well but I'm not expecting it to be huge.

Yeah, ST may surpise everyone next year and do some big numbers, and why? Well, Zachary Quinto of course...and his creepy Sylar powers!

people have not stopped talking about the next harry potter since the last one came out its seriously gonna go harry potter, star trek, transformers, maybe wovlerine.

hopefully fast and the furious will bomb, but I bet it opens at number 2 the week it comes out.
and i really think GI Joe will bomb.

and honestly i think when people who like aren't into like comics and wolverine, see a preview for origins there will be a mixed reaction.

and I cant believe theres gonna be another terminator movie. why is it even a tv show.

If we are talking about domestic gross then I'm pretty sure there's no way Wolverine will come anywhere near first place. None of the previous X-Men films had amazing domestic grosses(X1(165mil) X2(215mil)X3(234mil). The last X-Men film got mediocre ratings and definitely hurt the fanbase of the franchise. I can't see Wolverine movie making over 250million unless it's fantastic. Right now I see it making around 200-230million but, if the rumours about it being a train wreck turn out to be true then I will adjust my range next april.

Transformers 2 and Harry Potter will both break the 300million domestic barrier. I'm not sure about Terminator Salvation. If it gets good word of mouth it could end up in the 200-250million range. Star Trek is also very hard to predict. So far I've only heard positive things about the film and this one has the biggest budget. I'm praying this new Star Trek film will bring in new fans and make around 200million. That would be a huge success for that franchise.

The only film that is easy to predict is GI Joe. The buzz on that movie is not good and it lacks a good summer movie release date. I see that movie making 120-150million domestically.

I think if Wolverine gets above $200m domestic, that should be seen as a success. I'm just hoping it does does a lot better than The Incredible Hulk (whatever the spin, that has to be a big disappointment).

I agree.

And it really bothered me seeing The Incredible Hulk didn't make at least $200.

It was a really good film and a great tie-in to IRON MAN with all The Avengers references - specially the stuff involving Capi.

I think Wolverine has a STRONG chance to bring in $200, and with that May 1/Summer opener spot I wouldn't be surpised to see it reach $250 by June.

If Transformers 2 performs anything like its predecessor, Wolverine will have some stiff competition to say the least. Wolverine does have the advantage of its opening weekend. Still, even adjusted, none of the X-Men movies have cracked the $260 million mark. The Last Stand opened with a number that should have put it in the $300 million range, but it sank like a stone. Like you, I think Transformers 2 and Half Blood Prince may out-gross Wolverine, leaving it and (possibly) Rise of the Machines vying for third place. At best, I can see Wolverine earning $300 million, but that’s a stretch in my opinion. At this point, however, I think it’s too soon to say, as there hasn’t even been an official trailer released.

EDIT: I forgot about animated films. Those always have the potential to be top sellers.
Rise of the Machines was the third Terminator. The new one is called Salvation.
I think Trek and Angels & Demons is a little more formidable compared to Narnia 2 and Speed Racer. I might not even see Wolverine opening weekend. I don't think it will do all that well.
Trek will either be a succes or be the next Speed Racer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"