World of Legends: The New DC RPG -- Sign Up/OOC Thread

I... I don't have a basement.

Oh dear god, where are you? Blink twice if you need help!

So THIS is what an active MB looks like.... It's-- It's beautiful! :'-D

We've only heard tales, passed down from others, but have yet to witness it with our own eyes!

Right? I haven't seen this since early UDC days! And nobody is really even heckling him to post, because Byrd's too busy with real life!

Meh. I give it a week. I've seen that guy run out of steam so many times that I have a hard time keeping faith in him.

Us too. That's when we'll unleash the rats.

I think I've got a second character idea locked down. I'd say who it was, but that would be a spoiler.

Character Name: Jonah Hex

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero, with maybe a dash of WTL

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Trebuchet MS, Black and bold

Powers and Abilities: No powers, but Hex is an expert tracker and hunter, as well as an excellent shot with guns.

Character Origin/Backstory:

Jonah Hex was born in 1838 in Texas. His alcoholic and abusive father sold him to an Apache tribe when he was just a boy. He was raised by an Apache chief and taught their hunting and tracking secrets. A jealous young man in the tribe started a bitter feud between himself and Hex that ended with the chief's death, Hex's face being disfigured by the tribe and banished.

After working for a few years on a ranch in Texas, Hex joined the Confederate Army and served with distinction in the US Civil War under lieutenant Jeb Turnbull. In Tennesee, Turnbull was killed in action and the young man's father blamed Hex for his death.

After the war, Hex roamed through the west searching for a trade and a purpose. He eventually found his calling. Hunting, more specifically manhunting. Hex became the preeminent bounty hunter in the west. If you wanted someone found and could afford it, you hired Jonah Hex.

Why this character?

I've always loved westerns and I've always wanted to write more western stories. This is my chance!

What can you bring to the RPG?

Some posts. Not a lot of interaction, given the time frame I have to work with, but I hope to bang out some quality posts and maybe get into a little trippy time travel with Hex.

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

San Jacinto
New Mexico Territory

The saloon seemed to come to a halt as soon as he walked through the door. Twelve people, twenty-four angry eyes all on him. The bar was filled with what you would expect: bandits downing shots, working girls plying their trade, and the regular smokehounds who had long ago traded any kind of brains they may have had for the bottle. Then there was him.

He walked through the bar and sat down at the poker table where he was playing five-card draw. He was a fat Mexican with a scraggly beard and a long, banana-shaped scar under his left eye. A dead ringer for the wanted poster.

"Come in and ante up," he said. "I gotta tell you, I am hot tod..."

The Mexican trailed off as soon as he saw his face.

"Problem?"

"Yeah...you're face. What happened to it?"

"I don't think you're in a position to talk about my face, Chato."

The surprised face melted away instantly. What replaced it was a cold and indifferent look. The face a man would make just before he killed.

"Remind me again, how do I know you?"

"You don't, but I know you. Chato Santana, wanted on at least six counts of bank robbery, malicious mayhem, assault with a deadly weapon, and three counts of murder."

He could feel the tension in the room. Every eyeball was on the two of them. One wrong move and he knew he would be dead. Everyone in this saloon, even the ****es, were armed and willing to use them.

"You know, you gotta lot of balls coming in here, pendejo. I'll give you that. So, you a lawman or just some idiot who gets his kicks by pretending to be one?"

"Bounty hunter, Chato, I'm a bounty hunter. You're coming with me."

From behind his back, he heard the sound of guns being pulled followed by the loud snaps of the gun hammers being drawn back.

"What makes you think I'll go along? I got my boys with me."

He grinned. It wasn't a particularly warm or inviting grin. It was not one of humor. It was more like an animal bearing its fangs. He tilted his head towards the table and what was underneath.

"Well, you either come with me...."

Chato's eyes went wide when he saw the huge revolver in his right hand, aimed straight for the space between Chato's legs.

"...or I'll make sure that the two boys you're most attached to are no longer 'with you' if you understand me. Choice is yours, son."

You non-interactive mother****er!

CraneApproval_zps344356ce.gif

Been waiting for a DC rpg to start up again and someone done beat me to Superboy. Now i must think of another character to be.

World of Legends The New DC RPG: Character Application

Character Name: Stephanie Brown / Batgirl

Alignment: Hero

Character Speech Color and Font: Purple Comic Sans for Stephanie / Bold Purple Comic Sans for Batgirl

Powers and Abilities: Stephanie possesses no superhuman abilities. In the beginning, what she does possess are gymnastic skills and preliminary martial arts training. During her time as a crime-fighter, Stephanie has trained under Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake, Bruce Wayne, Barbara Gordon, and others. Through this training, she has greatly improved her martial art skills, aptitude at stealth, and proficiency with various gadgets.

Character Origin/Backstory: Stephanie Brown is the daughter of Arthur Brown, better known to the world as the would-be supervillain Cluemaster. Stephanie spent much of her childhood without a father as Arthur would be locked up for one crime or another. Once she was old enough, she had had enough of her father's act. When Arthur finally broke the habit of leaving clues behind, Stephanie took up the identity of "Spoiler" and left a trail for Batman and Robin to follow. With Spoiler's help, Cluemaster was apprehended. So began Stephanie's involvement in the world of costumed crime-fighting.

From time to time, Arthur Brown would break out of prison and embark on a new crime spree. Stephanie was always there to stop him as Spoiler. During these occasions, she grew quite close with Robin, and the two developed a mutual attraction. Despite Batman's disapproval and Robin's attempt to dissuade her, Stephanie began fighting crime as Spoiler on a regular basis. Spoiler and Robin began a relationship, and Robin helped Stephanie through her pregnancy with her ex-boyfriend's child. Eventually, she learned Robin's true identity, Timothy Drake, and the two would have an on-again-off-again relationship thereafter. During this time, Stephanie also trained with Cassandra Cain, the second Batgirl, and the two became friends.

When Tim was forced to give up the Robin mantle, Stephanie managed to convince Batman to take her on as his new protege. Stephanie became the fourth Robin for a time, though she was dismissed by Batman for disobeying a direct order in the field. In an attempt to prove herself a worthy crime-fighter, Stephanie inadvertently triggered a massive gang war in Gotham. She was kidnapped and tortured by Black Mask. Later, she seemingly succumbed to her wounds and died. Batman found out that Dr. Leslie Thompkins could have saved Stephanie's life, but she let Stephanie die as a warning against vigilantism.

Later, it came to be known that Stephanie had faked her own death with the help of Dr. Thompkins. She moved to Africa and tried to find a new calling doing volunteer work, but it wasn't long before she realized that her heart belonged in Gotham. Stephanie returned and resumed the identity of Spoiler until her mother asked her to stop. Stephanie agreed to give up on being a vigilante and focus on being a normal college freshman, but she found herself unable to keep this promise. After a disillusioned Cassandra gave up the mantle of Batgirl in the wake of Bruce Wayne's apparent death, Stephanie borrowed Cassandra's old costume and took on a new identity as Batgirl.

Stephanie encountered much resistance for her attempts to be the new Batgirl, chiefly from Barbara Gordon, the original Batgirl. However, the two women finally came to an understanding, and Oracle began to train and assist Stephanie in her new crusade. Eventually, she earned the approval of Dick Grayson, who was Batman during Bruce's disappearance. Upon Bruce's return from the grave, he put Stephanie through a test, which she passed, earning his approval as well. She has continued on as Batgirl ever since, taking an active part in Batman, Incorporated, and continuing her ever-evolving relationship with Tim Drake.

Why this character?
Well, I think we all know I like 'em young.

... wait. That came out wrong.

What I mean to say is that I've always been more comfortable writing younger heroes, in no small part because, well, that's been my world. I'm very familiar with it. And I've always enjoyed writing legacy characters because it's easy to relate to someone trying to live up to this rich history before them. Stephanie has been met at every turn with doubt and disapproval, but she hasn't let that stop her because being a hero is the one thing she wants most in the world.

What can you bring to the RPG?
A young, hip, trendy vibe! I'm all up on what the kids are doing these days with the Face-Tweets and the Insta-Vines. And since Stephanie is a college student, I'll be able to make all kinds of references to celebrities and pop culture. Won't that be fun!

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

My name is Stephanie Brown. My father, Arthur Brown, used to commit crimes under the moniker "Cluemaster." That bugged me. So I put on a costume, called myself "Spoiler," and made it my sole mission in life to spoil (get it?) my father's schemes. I even got to meet Batman and Robin. Eventually, though, I found myself wanting to stop more than just my blood relatives from hurting people. So I became a full-time crime-fighter, and... well... let's just say I've made mistakes. But I'm learning to be better. I've even traded in my old costume for a new one, and I've got a new name to boot. But, with all that said, I'm still just an ordinary college student.

And what does an ordinary college student do on a Friday night?

... that wasn't rhetorical. I'm actually asking you, because I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure it's nothing like what I'm actually doing.

gygeZPF.jpg

Don't let me give you the wrong idea, though. The lifestyle I've chosen for myself isn't all glamor and excitement. In fact, on quiet nights like tonight, patrolling ends up being a whole lot of sweating - in spandex, no less - over nothing. It's a little underwhelming, actually. I mean, this is Gotham! The most crime-ridden city since... well, ever! (I should really pay attention more in History...) Where are all the bad guys tonight?! Is there a big game on or something? Ugh!

"What was that?"

The voice you hear is Barbara Gordon a.k.a. Oracle a.k.a. the original Batgirl. She's also been my mentor. The other half of Team Batgirl. And sometimes - though never tell her I said this... - a giant nag. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm happy to have her. Probably wouldn't be alive today without her guidance.

"What was what?" I ask as I land on the head of a gargoyle.

"That noise you made," Babs buzzes in my ear.

I bite my lip. "A noise? Did I? Yeah, I dunno, O. Maybe it was just white noise. Radio static, you know?"

"No, it was a... sigh? Did you sigh?"

I fire my grappling hook at a nearby water tower. "A sigh? No, I don't think so. Maybe your hearing's starting to go." Pushing off of the gargoyle, I throw myself into the air, delighting at the feeling of weightlessness before my grapple line goes taut.

"I can play it back if you don't believe me," Babs offers.

"Wait a minute... you record this?" I say. "Creep!"

"Yeah, yeah. Well, you can stop pouting about the lack of activity. Someone just triggered a silent alarm at the tech firm on fifty-seven and Brunswick." She pauses. "Unless you'd rather call it a night and head in early to get a jump on your homework..."

I smirk. She does know how to push my buttons. "Not on your life," I answer. "I'm on my way."

Damn you, sir.

I promised I wouldn't cry...

He did. And he is. I know. I can see it from the attic where he has me chained to the radiator.

I don't have an attic either!

I wish I did. You've given way too much credit in my current living situation!

Oh hey! Batgirl's approved. Maybe Linda will come to Gotham after all, MB ;)

Ha. No. I used to live near there though. Now I live on the other side of the country though.

MB's Pocket Dimensional Dungeon.

Edit: Rethinking App. Will repost soon.

Last edited:
Application:

Character Name: Ayla Ranzz / Lightning Lass

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Orange Verdana

Powers and Abilities: Generates and manipulates electricity

Character Origin/Backstory: Ayla is the twin sister of Garth Ranzz, also known as Lightning Lad - one of the founders of the Legion. She joined the team impersonating her brother after his death, but was found out and has been a prominent member of the team through many of their adventures, from the Fatal Five to the Great Darkness. She had a long romance with fellow Legionnaire Bron Lindo, Timber Wolf; and is now in a relationship with Salu Digby, the Shrinking Violet.

Why this character? I have some stories I’d like to tell with the Legion (and some of them play into things I want to do with Supergirl too) and after some thought, I have a better feel for Ayla than I do for Tinya.

What can you bring to the RPG? Posts. Lots of them. And annoying other posters into doing the same.

Its weird. Brainiac is usually so focused. He’s been… well a little off… lately. Ever since he got back from the 21st century and preventing his ancestor from killing Kal, he’s been a little less focused. Or at least focused elsewhere. If I didn’t know better, I’d think our little poindexter was in love. Like I said. Weird. If it IS love, I can’t fault him for that, as I know the feeling well.

Well it’s my turn to take monitor duty from our esteemed deputy leader. He’ll probably go back to experimenting on cockroaches. Ew.

“Brainy, I’m here to relieve you. Have a good evening.”

“Huh? Oh. Hi Ayla.”

He switches the monitor from the screen it was on when I came up, but I caught a hint of red and blue.

“Just checking in on some of the reserves. A new costume. That costume. Hmm.”

The last part was said under his breath, but it didn’t take a Kryptonian to hear it. After he leaves, it takes a bit of tinkering, but I finally manage to hack back into the feed he switched off. Tricky because it was a feed 1,000 years in the past. And not Kal like I had expected, but Kara. Seems my instincts were right, our little Brainiac is in love. This should be interesting.

Welcome, to the WORLD OF TOMORROW!!!

Application:

Character Name: Ayla Ranzz / Lightning Lass

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Orange Verdana

Powers and Abilities: Generates and manipulates electricity

Character Origin/Backstory: Ayla is the twin sister of Garth Ranzz, also known as Lightning Lad - one of the founders of the Legion. She joined the team impersonating her brother after his death, but was found out and has been a prominent member of the team through many of their adventures, from the Fatal Five to the Great Darkness. She had a long romance with fellow Legionnaire Bron Lindo, Timber Wolf; and is now in a relationship with Salu Digby, the Shrinking Violet.

Why this character? I have some stories I’d like to tell with the Legion (and some of them play into things I want to do with Supergirl too) and after some thought, I have a better feel for Ayla than I do for Tinya.

What can you bring to the RPG? Posts. Lots of them. And annoying other posters into doing the same.

Its weird. Brainiac is usually so focused. He’s been… well a little off… lately. Ever since he got back from the 21st century and preventing his ancestor from killing Kal, he’s been a little less focused. Or at least focused elsewhere. If I didn’t know better, I’d think our little poindexter was in love. Like I said. Weird. If it IS love, I can’t fault him for that, as I know the feeling well.

Well it’s my turn to take monitor duty from our esteemed deputy leader. He’ll probably go back to experimenting on cockroaches. Ew.

“Brainy, I’m here to relieve you. Have a good evening.”

“Huh? Oh. Hi Ayla.”

He switches the monitor from the screen it was on when I came up, but I caught a hint of red and blue.

“Just checking in on some of the reserves. A new costume. That costume. Hmm.”

The last part was said under his breath, but it didn’t take a Kryptonian to hear it. After he leaves, it takes a bit of tinkering, but I finally manage to hack back into the feed he switched off. Tricky because it was a feed 1,000 years in the past. And not Kal like I had expected, but Kara. Seems my instincts were right, our little Brainiac is in love. This should be interesting.

I proudly - yet ANGRILY - endorse this application for approval.

v9PiE.png

Aroooo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"