Worst Movie Title

Wow, I'd never heard of that movie or title, but that is amazing.

Patton Oswalt - one of my favorite comics - has done a bit about how boring movie titles tend to be these days, and it's a particular problem with romantic comedies, where you'll find titles like, to use his example, Feelin' Kinda Sorta. Examples of actual titles like this that are totally dull and give you no idea of what the movie's about: The Room, How to Deal, The Lucky One, This Means War, Just Go with It, Life or Something Like It, Life As We Know It, Love Happens, and, my favorite, Definitely, Maybe. It's okay for a title to be cryptic or enigmatic, but I'm not so cool with those titles that say, "We barely care about this." A movie that's just there and totally forgettable is arguably worse than a truly bad movie, and I think it's the same with titles.

I don't know if this counts, but No Country for Old Men was translated pretty *****ing bad in French (I'm french canadian). Non, ce pays n'est pas pour le vieil homme (wich, translated word for word would give "No, this country is not for the old man")

I find the worst titles to be ones that are just plain stupid, as well as the ones that just feel lazy... like the studio couldn't figure out what to call it so they just picked the most generic title possible. To be fair though, some of the ones that are really stupid do accurately describe the movie, so I guess they're not really bad if you think about it, but whatever...

Off the top of my head:

Blood & Donuts
Manos: The Hands of Fate
They
Happythankyoumoreplease
Somewhere
Mister Magorium's *********orium
Step Into Liquid
Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter
A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Death Bed: The Bed that Eats
Step Up 2 The Streets
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
I Will Always Know What You Did Last Summer
Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever
Eegah
Sssss

:up::up:
I don't know if this counts, but No Country for Old Men was translated pretty *****ing bad in French (I'm french canadian). Non, ce pays n'est pas pour le vieil homme (wich, translated word for word would give "No, this country is not for the old man")

Blacula!
Fertilize The Blaspheming Bombshell
xXx
I Dismember Mama
I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle
Freddy Got Fingered

Rise of the Planet of the Apes-Not the worst of all time, but I don't like how it sounds.

I agree. What was wrong with "Rise of the Apes"?

I'm assuming that they wanted to make sure the general audience knew that this movie is a part of the "Planet of the Apes" franchise and not a part of any other super-ape movie series.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes-Not the worst of all time, but I don't like how it sounds.

I agree. What was wrong with "Rise of the Apes"?

I'm assuming that they wanted to make sure the general audience knew that this movie is a part of the "Planet of the Apes" franchise and not a part of any other super-ape movie series.

I agree with this. It's just to much of a mouthfull.

Yeah, I agree... Rise of the Planet of the Apes was an awesome movie, but it had one of the worst titles of all time. I think they should continue like that, just to be silly. Call the sequel Return of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes or something.

:funny: Well, the next one's not as bad as that, but the actual title, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,isn't great either.

The Dark Knight Rises just sounds a bit goofy it should have been Rise Of The Dark Knight.

I dont get the dislike for the Apes movie title. They fit perfectly into the rest of the series:

Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

It's nice that they're all of a piece like that, but I don't know, Rise of the Planet of the Apes just sounds clunkier to me. I don't know why that is, but saying them aloud, Rise of the Planet of the Apes has less of a ring to it than the others. But it's not THAT bad a title, it's grown on me.

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman - no connection with the Marvel superheroine whatsoever.

The Men Who Stare At Goats
Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants

The Great Debaters

Or as my sister says "The Great Master-debaters"

I dont get the dislike for the Apes movie title. They fit perfectly into the rest of the series:

Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I don't know, it just sounds silly to me. I mean, the other titles all make sense. But the apes were the ones rising... not the planet. It's not like the movie was about the planet shifting its orbit. I know it's meant to be metaphorical but I just don't think it works very well.

"Rise of" is also being really overused in movie titles lately. (One reason why I don't think Rise of The Dark Knight would have been better. The other is I think The Dark Knight Rises sounds way better.)

Yeah, "Rise of," and to a lesser extent, "Revenge of" are really overused these days.

I'm waiting for a parody to come out called "Rise of the Revenge" or something.

In the early '80s they edited episodes of the Planet of the Apes tv series into films with titles like "Treachery and Greed on the Planet of the Apes" and "Life, Liberty and Pursuit on the Planet of the Apes". "Rise of" doesn't sound so bad after those! Lol

And, despite being a huge Bond fan, I have to say "Quantum of Solace" is just a miserable title. Yeah I know it's a Fleming original, but you can practically hear Eon Productions scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel just to grab a Fleming title

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"