The Amazing Spider-Man Worst part of TASM

The Lizard. So much more potential then they actually put in.

Just watched it for the 1st time.
My biggest issue was just the lack of charisma with which everything was presented..
Only the spiderman scenes and the work by Emma Watson was solid..
Every scene just reeks of by the numbers work with hardly a spark of imagination from those involved (Emma and Spidey scenes being the exception).
The overall look of the film doesn't say spiderman in the same way the world of superman returns doesn't convey superman.
Just looking at Garfields very specific styled hair do tells you this is someone who is trying to be a character as opposed to inhabiting the character...
Its hard to quantify, they had a story to tell but with little gusto.
I only felt the Lizard lacked "charisma." Everything else was solid IMO.

Rhys Ifans is a fine actor, same with Garfield, etc... It's just the script they had to work with didn't offer much...

The worst part was when they first reveal Spidey in his costume. It's an epic, Dark Knight-like, shot that concludes with him lazily sitting on his rear and calling Aunt May about getting milk/eggs or being late for school or something forgettable like that. Such a terrible intro for a character who's supposed to be the hero of the story, the moment he got that costume should have been the best part of the film (like Raimi's Spider-Man). That, and the broken promise ending are the worst. Plus, Gwen knowing exactly what her father said to Peter was pretty abysmal writing all-around. Your father's dead, so shouldn't you be grieving instead of right away trying to get back together with your superhero boyfriend?

I hated so much about this film, I wanted to love it, but I couldn't, because it was so sloppily put together (which was a surprise to me because I loved (500) Days of Summer). Cheesy overly heroic sounding music, action scenes that run for about a minute before ending (except that school fight, which was my favourite part of the film easily, especially with that Stan Lee cameo, that was his best cameo to-date), too much filler dialogue, a lame scheme for the villain and awkward scenes of forced comedy/romance make this film one of the most frustrating comic-book films I've ever seen.

The worst part was when they first reveal Spidey in his costume. It's an epic, Dark Knight-like, shot that concludes with him lazily sitting on his rear and calling Aunt May about getting milk/eggs or being late for school or something forgettable like that. Such a terrible intro for a character who's supposed to be the hero of the story, the moment he got that costume should have been the best part of the film (like Raimi's Spider-Man). That, and the broken promise ending are the worst. Plus, Gwen knowing exactly what her father said to Peter was pretty abysmal writing all-around. Your father's dead, so shouldn't you be grieving instead of right away trying to get back together with your superhero boyfriend?.

I actually liked the idea they were going for (maybe that had something to do with the fact that I'd just finished reading Ultimate Sdpiderman) - give as teenager power superior to anyone else in the world and he's still ruled by his momma, or in this case, his aunt. It was just poorly executed.

As for that broken promise, I do understand that it's frustrating, but it was refreshing for the female lead to be able to deduce what was going on behind the scenes, unlike Raimi's Mary Jane. I can also say that I'd break that same promise for a girl, being as impulsive as I am as well.

What i find funny about the hate for the broken promise was that in that situation those that say it's disrespectful wuod've done the same thing or are looking at it in too simple terms.

Peter has lost everybody but his Aunt in his life, Gwen is the only happy part of his life, he was forced to give a promise to a dying man which nobody would refuse at that moment.

Then he did stay away from her and was miserable. His Aunt said that he had a right to be happy, so it was basically a be miserable and alone and keep the promise or break the promise and be happy with the woman he loves.

He made the right call, the same call we'd all make.

That being said the actual line was bad, he should've just looked at her with a look that said he'd reunite with her or had a different line.

What i find funny about the hate for the broken promise was that in that situation those that say it's disrespectful wuod've done the same thing or are looking at it in too simple terms.

Peter has lost everybody but his Aunt in his life, Gwen is the only happy part of his life, he was forced to give a promise to a dying man which nobody would refuse at that moment.

Then he did stay away from her and was miserable. His Aunt said that he had a right to be happy, so it was basically a be miserable and alone and keep the promise or break the promise and be happy with the woman he loves.

He made the right call, the same call we'd all make.

That being said the actual line was bad, he should've just looked at her with a look that said he'd reunite with her or had a different line.

Nope. Speak for yourself.

They wrote the character into a corner, and subsequently, made him look like a jerk by making the selfish, self-serving, easy choice. Yes, the execution added insult to injury.

The worst part was when they first reveal Spidey in his costume. It's an epic, Dark Knight-like, shot that concludes with him lazily sitting on his rear and calling Aunt May about getting milk/eggs or being late for school or something forgettable like that. Such a terrible intro for a character who's supposed to be the hero of the story, the moment he got that costume should have been the best part of the film (like Raimi's Spider-Man). That, and the broken promise ending are the worst. Plus, Gwen knowing exactly what her father said to Peter was pretty abysmal writing all-around. Your father's dead, so shouldn't you be grieving instead of right away trying to get back together with your superhero boyfriend?

I hated so much about this film, I wanted to love it, but I couldn't, because it was so sloppily put together (which was a surprise to me because I loved (500) Days of Summer). Cheesy overly heroic sounding music, action scenes that run for about a minute before ending (except that school fight, which was my favourite part of the film easily, especially with that Stan Lee cameo, that was his best cameo to-date), too much filler dialogue, a lame scheme for the villain and awkward scenes of forced comedy/romance make this film one of the most frustrating comic-book films I've ever seen.
Funnily enough, that's one of the few things I liked about the movie, lol. Actually showed that Peter was still a regular kid.

When the script's not having Parker be a brooding, mopey, selfish Edward Cullen-alike, Garfield actually knocks it out of the park.

They wrote the character into a corner, and subsequently, made him look like a jerk by making the selfish, self-serving, easy choice. Yes, the execution added insult to injury.

So you as a teenager would be alone and miserable instead of with Emma Stone to honour a forced promise?

:up:

So you as a teenager would be alone and miserable instead of with Emma Stone to honour a forced promise?

False dichotomy. Far more to it than that; many more ways things could play out.

Watched the movie again last night and still really like it. But my complaint is the same as any other origin film, where once the character finally becomes the superhero, the movie goes downhill. The first half of the film was great, but the movie starts to decline once we finish with the bridge sequence.

The whole stupid thing about the broken promise is it would've worked better if they stuck to the actual comic storyline (What a concept!) where Stacy's last words are "Take care of Gwen".He basically gives his blessing,where in the movie,it's the opposite.

But,they wanted to have the "twilight-ish I'm dating a hawt superhero" angle to appeal to the teen girls,instead of Pete having to keep his secret from Gwen.(which would've provided the needed conflict in their relationship)

Really the crane scene and the rat-lizard were the only things that made me cringe, and those aren't listed.

I actually really like Peter being a socially-awkward stuttering mess. Since this version is really pushing that he's a genius, it makes sense that he would lack in people skills somewhat. It tends to come with the territory.

Yeah,I forgot to put that blessed crane scene in the poll.But that "NY helps Spidey" routine was also in the Raimi films as well.I was trying to stick to stuff unique to Webb's film.That's why I didn't put "Spidey constantly unmasked" in the poll.Spidey putting his name on the camera shoulda made the cut though.....:doh:

Yeah,I forgot to put that blessed crane scene in the poll.But that "NY helps Spidey" routine was also in the Raimi films as well.

Only here there was a background ad they left the cheesey lines out.

I was trying to stick to stuff unique to Webb's film. That's why I didn't put "Spidey constantly unmasked" in the poll.

That and because, unlike Raimi, he wasn't constantly unmasked.

Spidey putting his name on the camera shoulda made the cut though.....:doh:

Rookie superhero. Now, unmasking yourself in front of a whole train because of no reason whatsoever... that's pushing it.

Only here there was a background ad they left the cheesey lines out.
164ACiS.gif

That and because, unlike Raimi, he wasn't constantly unmasked.
I think even the most ardent TASM supporter will admit he was unmasked about as much as in the first Raimi film.

Rookie superhero. Now, unmasking yourself in front of a whole train because of no reason whatsoever... that's pushing it.
More like "head trauma superhero" if we're going to attribute an excuse to him.

Yes, the difference between making it an integral part of the story and have it a half-baked cheesey joke full of terrible lines.

I think even the most ardent TASM supporter will admit he was unmasked about as much as in the first Raimi film.

You'd be wrong again.

Raimi went so far he had Peter fully costumed as Spider-man, but somehow only forgetting to put his mask on - because he apparently didn't have 1.5 seconds to put on the one item that would keep his identity secret - in that alley scene with Mary Jane being assaulted.

And then again, the train scene in SM2.

More like "head trauma superhero" if we're going to attribute an excuse to him.

No. He's starting and his camera existed previously to his superhero career. The excuse for the unmasking before everyone on a train? I'm still wondering...

But,they wanted to have the "twilight-ish I'm dating a hawt superhero" angle to appeal to the teen girls,instead of Pete having to keep his secret from Gwen.(which would've provided the needed conflict in their relationship)

Wat8.jpg

I'm sorry, but you're using a Twilight comparison? It has nothing to do with trying to appeal to teenage girls.

No. He's starting and his camera existed previously to his superhero career. The excuse for the unmasking before everyone on a train? I'm still wondering...
His mask caught on fire.
Wat8.jpg

I'm sorry, but you're using a Twilight comparison? It has nothing to do with trying to appeal to teenage girls.
You're right.

I mean, it's not like it's a movie about a girl who almost instantly falls in love with a boyband-handsome, mopey, mysterious dude with incredibly quaffed hair who's secretly a superhuman creature who sneaks into her bedroom and whom her cop father disapproves of.

Wait...:cwink:

TASM showed forced relationship between Peter and Gwen also the scene where Flash says sorry to peter was plain stupid .

TASM showed forced relationship between Peter and Gwen also the scene where Flash says sorry to peter was plain stupid .

How was the Peter-Gwen relationship forced? At least she had rerasons to feel attracted to him. And well, how stupid is to make Flash a three dimensional character that's not just a school bully?

How was the Peter-Gwen relationship forced? At least she had rerasons to feel attracted to him. And well, how stupid is to make Flash a three dimensional character that's not just a school bully?

It seemed forced to me like how she got smitten by his behavior instead of getting suspicious of his actions .
and, Flash was a bully he made someone eat the lunch while holding him down so that sorry scene looked forced on a school bully .

It seemed forced to me like how she got smitten by his behavior instead of getting suspicious of his actions .

What actions? She saw him facing a bully and getting his ass kicked because of it.

and, Flash was a bully he made someone eat the lunch while holding him down so that sorry scene looked forced on a school bully .

Yes, he is a bully. That doesn't mean he can't relate to anyone else. Specially someone who had shown him he's not afraid of him as everyone else.

But yes, it'd have been better if we knew that, for instance, Flash had lost a loved one so he relates to Peter on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"