Superman Returns Would Superman Returns Have Been Better IF...

Superfreak

Gramaton Cleric
Reaction score
if the so called trip to krypton had been left in. I mean it always felt like there was a central subplot missing from the movie. Remember when... before SII:Donner got made, and SR was rumored to have had used those cut scenes? Would that have made the movie more 'whole', especially the scene where Supes is slowly sinking into the ocean, and Jor'el can be heard monologuing.

I just always wonder about SR, it had so much potential, and was fulfilling, but I think we can all agree, no where near the movie any of us were hoping for. Would the inclusion of the above have made the movie better?

Moreover, do you suspect that maybe the trip to krypton will be included, and play a part in a sequel?

Actually, the movie as a whole more than exceeded my expectations, and it was more than the movie i was hoping for, superb.

But there is no doubt in my mind, if the RTK sequence had been left in, it would have made the movie better, not just the scene you mentioned of when he is in the water, but the whole 3rd act which involved NK, would have been better and more emotional IMO. Though personally i still find that part of the movie the best anyway.

Actually, the movie as a whole more than exceeded my expectations, and it was more than the movie i was hoping for, superb.

But there is no doubt in my mind, if the RTK sequence had been left in, it would have made the movie better, not just the scene you mentioned of when he is in the water, but the whole 3rd act which involved NK, would have been better and more emotional IMO. Though personally i still find that part of the movie the best anyway.

Indeed, it felt like they didn't play enough upon the fact that when he was throwing NK away, he was throwing away every link he had to his home, heritage, and biological family.

No, it would not. the film is not a great film with too many plot holes and lapses in it's own logic. How cam Superman go there and back in 5 years when Marlon Brando states in the film again that even though Superman is only 18 at the time of that Holograms playing, he was dead many thousands of his years. I doubt Clark perfected the ship, based on the same technology to get him there, that took thousands of years to do so.

Also, the lapse in logic on Kryptonite had people questioning it at both showings I was at. And the stalker kid and everything else. And the film is just drab looking. SR was a mess and is still being ridiculed on every film board when it gets brought up. Leaving that in would have done nothing. Also, the lapse in logic of the original script. Purportedly the signal about Krypton's remnants is a hoax by Luthor to get him off of the planet, and yet he goes there and it is the real Krypton. Was it a signal sent by Luthor to get him off the planet, and then how come it is the real Krypton. Why are buildings and a large piece of the planet still around when the whole planet explodes. That large piece, nor any buildings would be there. Look at hat happened when a meteor the size of a ar hit our planet. There would be no buildings standing, and that planet would have been in little pieces.

No, it would not. the film is not a great film with too many plot holes and lapses in it's own logic. How cam Superman go there and back in 5 years when Marlon Brando states in the film again that even though Superman is only 18 at the time of that Holograms playing, he was dead many thousands of his years. I doubt Clark perfected the ship, based on the same technology to get him there, that took thousands of years to do so.

Also, the lapse in logic on Kryptonite had people questioning it at both showings I was at. And the stalker kid and everything else. And the film is just drab looking. SR was a mess and is still being ridiculed on every film board when it gets brought up. Leaving that in would have done nothing. Also, the lapse in logic of the original script. Purportedly the signal about Krypton's remnants is a hoax by Luthor to get him off of the planet, and yet he goes there and it is the real Krypton. Was it a signal sent by Luthor to get him off the planet, and then how come it is the real Krypton. Why are buildings and a large piece of the planet still around when the whole planet explodes. That large piece, nor any buildings would be there. Look at hat happened when a meteor the size of a ar hit our planet. There would be no buildings standing, and that planet would have been in little pieces.

try paragraphs next time, and breaking your ideas up into logical chunks, so people can actually follow what you are trying to say

Indeed, it felt like they didn't play enough upon the fact that when he was throwing NK away, he was throwing away every link he had to his home, heritage, and biological family.

Agreed, the RTK scene would definately have added to the NK scene's in every way, i liked them how they are, but it would have been more effective had we seen the ruins of Krypton in the RTK scene IMO.

try paragraphs next time, and breaking your ideas up into logical chunks, so people can actually follow what you are trying to say

Well said.

there is no saving superman returns, biggest waste of a character ever. whats the point of superman being this all powerful god figure when all he does is catch airplanes and cars with there brakes shot?

^Because a non all-powerful god figure wouldnt be able to do those things, Superman has always been about saving people, its what he has always done despite the presence of his many villains.

Yeah that definitely should have left it in. It's Superman Returns. I want to see where he's returning from. I want to see him go through all of the emotions of being "home". It has a pretty profound effect on how he functions throughout the remainder of the story. Also, from the concept art, it looked pretty epic.

Certainly would have made it longer.

Perhaps it's scenes should have been the background for the opening theme. Abbreviated scenes of the journey interspersed with headlines on Earth.............like....

" Astronomers Discover Planetary Debris in Deep Space!"
" Debris May be Remains of Krypton!"
"Super-Rescues Cease!"
"Superman Vanishes!"
"Where is The Man of Steel?"
"Rumors of Super-Star Trek Surface!"
"One Year Without Superman."
"Two Years Without Superman."........etc.
"Is Superman Dead?"
"Why the World Does Not Need Superman."

That wouldn't make the film any longer, which is undesirable, but still illustrate the abscence.

Yeah that definitely should have left it in. It's Superman Returns. I want to see where he's returning from. I want to see him go through all of the emotions of being "home". It has a pretty profound effect on how he functions throughout the remainder of the story. Also, from the concept art, it looked pretty epic.

Yeah, I totally agree with this, i think it would have given scope to the whole story rather than confusing some of the people that it did, but i suppose we'll never know now.

Would it have made it a better movie for me? No. I know I'm probably alone here but what would have made this movie better for me would be for the characters to have had better conversations with each other concerning each of the different plots, it just felt like there was so much left unsaid but maybe they were going to deal with that in the sequel.

I doubt if including the Return To Krypton sequence would have made SR any better - certainly the kid-haters wouldn't care one way or the other - but I think what WOULD have helped in that regard is something that was included in some of the print adaptations of the story, in which Lex reveals that HE was responsible for raising the possibility of Krypton still existing in the first place. I suppose you could dispute how he could have possibly have had news fabricated while sitting in prison, but then this is ostensibly the same character who was able to engineer a hologram device and an alpha-wave sensor while in prison and somehow got Miss Teschmacher to show up in a balloon to break his @$$ out once.

I doubt if including the Return To Krypton sequence would have made SR any better - certainly the kid-haters wouldn't care one way or the other - but I think what WOULD have helped in that regard is something that was included in some of the print adaptations of the story, in which Lex reveals that HE was responsible for raising the possibility of Krypton still existing in the first place. I suppose you could dispute how he could have possibly have had news fabricated while sitting in prison, but then this is ostensibly the same character who was able to engineer a hologram device and an alpha-wave sensor while in prison and somehow got Miss Teschmacher to show up in a balloon to break his @$$ out once.

I thought since they didn't show that if they did a sequel they could show that it was Brainiac who sent out the readings and latched onto Supermans ship when a came to check it out.

I thought since they didn't show that if they did a sequel they could show that it was Brainiac who sent out the readings and latched onto Supermans ship when a came to check it out.

That might have been in the novelization, I'm not sure - I know that in the comic adaptation Luthor takes credit for it when his cronies are beating the sh** out of Supes on New Krypton.

That might have been in the novelization, I'm not sure - I know that in the comic adaptation Luthor takes credit for it when his cronies are beating the sh** out of Supes on New Krypton.

Your right it was Luthor who did it, that was probably yet another deleted scene but I figure since they left that out of the movie if they wanted to bring in Brainiac in the sequel that would be an easy way to do it, plus they could use the return to Krypton footage.

I would have definitely loved to have seen the RTK sequence inserted at the beggining of the film, this would have set a much more powerful tone for the film right from the outset. I never really cared for the opening sequence with Gertrude on her deathbed.

I would have definitely loved to have seen the RTK sequence inserted at the beggining of the film, this would have set a much more powerful tone for the film right from the outset. I never really cared for the opening sequence with Gertrude on her deathbed.
I always thought that the Return to Krypton scene would have been before the credits, then the return to Earth sequence with the opening credits and the John Williams theme , and then he crashed landed on the Kent farm.

It would have better if

* Kate Bosworth was replaced

* Frank Lagnella (spell) was replaced and brought back Hugh Laurie

* The editing was tighter and the SV scenes were brought back in

* Superman and Luthor had a fist fight

If anything else comes to mind, I'll let you know.

It probably would have helped and set a better tone from the outset, but it would have taken a lot more to make it a decent Superhero film.

If they didn't want to use the Return to Krypton sequence at the beginning of the film, the perfect next-best-time to use it would have been during the Rooftop scene, when Lois asks Superman where he went.

Instead of the hollow, less-than-2 minutes of dialogue we got on the subject during that scene......they could have had Superman, through voice-over and flashback, explain his trip to Krypton.

So, as Superman is explaining the trip ( what he saw, how he felt ) to Lois, we ( the audience ) would be seeing it ourselves on screen.

Moreover, do you suspect that maybe the trip to krypton will be included, and play a part in a sequel?

I wished the Krypton sequence was a part of the film cut, but I feel like the screenplay needed a rewrite. We needed less of Donner's version, and more of a contemporary one.

The scene cost 10 or 15 million to shoot right? I'm pretty sure it will be in the next one if Singer's involved. Keeping that scene would ensure keeping Brandon as Superman, so that would be one pleasant advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"