Superman Returns Would this movie have been better, without the KID

I actually liked the kid. Probably because I liked the actor who played him. he had a personality but wasn't overbearing or irritating. He was just a kid.

You know what...I couldn't really say anything in this thread until I had seen the movie because I didn't know how it would be played. However, after FINALLY seeing the movie...IMO...THE KID was the best damn thing about the movie. I wasn't really feeling the Lois/Supes dynamic like I should have and that's a damn shame considering I'm a die-hard supporter and fan of the supercouple. I liked Richard, but I didn't give a damn about him, and wanted to see him die quite early on in the film. Posey...UGH...please die with the dog and be eaten by Lex. She was totally useless, and I think it would have been better if she was cornier. I know that probably doesn't fly well with people, but as it was I didn't find her funny or very good eye candy for the guys. Frankly I got sick of her face early on, along with her stupid lines. Lex was good when he was bad. I can't say anything about Spacey. KB would have been better in my eyes if she had more face time with Supes. I feel the same about Routh too, though he was iconic as Supes.

However, THE KID was the highlight of the movie. It wasn't like he stole every scene he was in. He didn't have to...the tension from his presence was enough. And the fact that he's mysterious (you can read creepy into that too) worked for me. I LOVED the touching scene with him and Supes at the end even though the kid was sleep.

The kid worked for the movie...he was THE thing that worked well for this movie.

There...I said it!

Yeah, i'm with the crowd that says the kid will likely be a positive plot point for future superman development. I didn't really think the kid stole away any cool moments from the movie, and I liked the piano scene. Before we really bash the little guy..lets see where Warner Bros. takes him in the future of the franchise before we judge. He could turn out to be a fresh new face.

OK, so I LOVED the film. Problem is that I was not able to enjoy it as much because the Kid was so unecessarily prominent. That and after the piano moment I kept haveing nightmare visions of him in tights flying with daddy.

(Hell when he walked over to the suit in the hospital I feared he was going to try it on!!! :eek:)

That said...loved the movie, hated the kid, would have been rocketed to my favorite movie ever had it not been for the kid... :(

Superman79 said:
OK, so I LOVED the film. Problem is that I was not able to enjoy it as much because the Kid was so unecessarily prominent. That and after the piano moment I kept haveing nightmare visions of him in tights flying with daddy.

(Hell when he walked over to the suit in the hospital I feared he was going to try it on!!! :eek:)

That said...loved the movie, hated the kid, would have been rocketed to my favorite movie ever had it not been for the kid... :(

Yeah, I gotta kind of agree here. I wanted to leave this movie pumped up beyone belief and I almost got there. But the addition of "super kid" spoiled it for me.

I was so frustrated leaving the theater after waiting for almost 20 years for a new Superman movie on the big screen...after sleeping on it, I'm not as upset about it as I was last night but it still bothers me fundamentally. I would have been much happier had the kid been Richard's, even if Lois and Supes don't end up together. :(

Bibs11 said:
Yeah, I gotta kind of agree here. I wanted to leave this movie pumped up beyone belief and I almost got there. But the addition of "super kid" spoiled it for me.

I was so frustrated leaving the theater after waiting for almost 20 years for a new Superman movie on the big screen...after sleeping on it, I'm not as upset about it as I was last night but it still bothers me fundamentally. I would have been much happier had the kid been Richard's, even if Lois and Supes don't end up together. :(

Bib's I think you and I are the same person. I was a bit miffed last nite after the show (of course the Reeve-style flying overearth/smile ending did A LOT to take the edge off...:D)

my friends didn't get why I was upset, but still. I think the movie will be better on the second and third viewings because I am now just going to ignore the kid, and concentrate on all the greatness in the movie...and pray they get rid of Jason in the sequels.

As for Clark and Lois...well, they have to get together sometime, and I have faith they will...we just need to see in SR2 and 3. Now if the kid becomes a super-lad-sidekick. I will kill someone.

TheBlueWolf said:
:down Would this movie have been better WITHOUT the kid??? YES, it would have been much better!!!

Seriously, the movie would have been 10X better without the distracting significant yet highly insignificant KID (and if you saw the movie, you will know what I mean by that)...hell, he was only a cheap gimmick/shock device...that COMPLETELY RUINS the movie!!!!!!! Much worse than anything in MUMMY RETURNS or LEGEND OF ZORRO, at least in those movies, the KID was a highly active and dynamic element of the story (even though they ruined their respective movies).

YES, I have seen the movie, I saw it last night at midnight (and I can confirm that the Spiderman III trailer was attached, which was awesome, but I am still worried on the amount of material in it). I didn't get home till about 3:30am...and then had to get up for work at 8am...that is dedication!!! :-)

The FX was AWESOME, better than anything in X2 or X3...or Spiderman II...BUT, there were some things that just did not make sense. In some scenes, this Superman was powerful like he should be, and in other scenes, he was really under powered, like with the plane thing…and the missile thing. But the story was lackluster, and some things just did not make sense...like they were only thrown in because of the coolness factor. And yes, there IS a twist at the ending which does make this whole KID thing a cheap gimmick...he completely RUINED THE MOVIE!!! This movie with the kid is a 4 on a scale of 1-10.

Routh and the FX are the only good things about this moive. Believe it or not, Routh was awesome as Superman, though he did not sell me on Clark Kent. He is not a very good Clark...it is the way he delivers his lines, and he is just too stiff. When the promo pictures were released, I really did not like the Super Suit, but on screen, it is much better looking, and yes it is dark, but it is also very bright in some scenes, which made me happy. Because I want the colors to be very bright, and they were in various day light scenes.

On the other hand, Spacey sucked...too campy even if he was sadistic, he could have been sadistic without being campy! He should have been like how he was towards the end of Usual Suspects or even in K-PAX…he is a great actor and I think that his approach to LEX was the wrong way to go. He can do serious and sadistic…he was a bit screwed in the head in LA Confidential too being so hung up on Ego, he could have just been really great as a super serious LEX. I’m sorry to all the Smallville haters out there, but the incantation of LEX on Smallville, is one of the best ever! Serious, Evil, and a Billionaire…that is the way to go. OR Lex like how he was depicted on Superman The Animated Series (Not the JLU though, because towards the end, he was getting completely insane). Leave the campy crap out of my movie please! If I want to see the Joker, I’ll watch a Batman movie. Lois was okay…though, I think she was miscast…Kate did not sell me. To be honest, they should have went with an unknown…that would have been the best thing that they could have done with that IMHO. But yeah, the KID killed this movie for me. Without the STUPID KID...the movie would have been an easy 7 or 8 out of 10.

Oh on a side note, I thought that whole PIANO thing was just false rumors, and was not going to be in the movie???

They should have just left out the KID factor, and saved it for a sequel…

My thoughts exactly loved those action scences but why as lex so campy and hangin with Cruella Deville from 101 Dalmations?
Well at least u got to see the spidey3 trailer on the big screen
THEY DIDNT EVEN PLAY IT AT MY SHOWING!
pissed off

The kid himself I did not mind all that much. It was only the fact that he has powers. While it didn't really hurt this film, it could really add some stupid stuff to the sequels. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"