Superman Returns Would You Prefer Confirmed Sequel OR Confirmed Restart

Agreed. I can see them coming out saying "Superman Returns was the finale of the Donner series" or something up that alley. A definite Reboot/Restart is what I want t see...with a new Krypton, Smallville, Fortress, Metropolis, the billionaire tycoon Lex Luthor, who was once seen as a hero and model citizen now delving into his dark side due to him not being the top dog anymore, consumed with hate and plans to destroy Superman...his creation of Metallo (with technology provide by Brainiac to test the last son of Krypton).

That's the way I see it. Oh, my SR...

^I know, i'm still gutted we wont be seeing a follow-up, as I think it coulod have really been something special after the excellent SR.

Yeah, I know. I was really hoping for a sequel, but oh well. I'm fine with a reboot. I think they can make another great Superman movie, just in a very different way.

^Yeah, WB are worrying me though after some of their exploits in the past, and re-booting only a few years after is silly as well IMO. Oh well, we'll see how it pans out.

I was curious to see what B.Singer would be able to do with a sequel..but oh well. As beautiful as SR was visually in places..it had it's weaknesses..I admit...I look forward to the feeling I had (or something thereabouts) when I saw Superman '78 for the first time....I have reconciled myself to see SR as the bookend to the Donner franchise. It was the conclusion to that series, for better or worse. Actually if I see it in that light,it actually plays much better in logic. Life went on without superman, he had to deal with it, adjust in donner's universe, and in the end of the film were the natural consequences of Supe's sleeping with Lois in the Crystal palace way up north. He was still superman, but it somehow fits in Donner's universe .

^I am excited to see what they do with the new movie, but I would have been much more confident about the quality of a Bryan Singer helmed sequel than I am of this 're-introduction.'

^I am excited to see what they do with the new movie, but I would have been much more confident about the quality of a Bryan Singer helmed sequel than I am of this 're-introduction.'

I think it's a real shame that since Robinov gave some information about Superman being reintroduced we've heard nothing since. WB can't be that confident in their decision if they won't make an official statement. The fans are left up in the air, debating the changes when all we want to know is who's directing, will there be a new star and is it a full reboot or not? We deserve better.

SR wasn't perfect but it was a solid base for what could have been the best film in the franchise. That was Singer's challenge, to reintroduce Superman and set up further films and in that respect he succeeded. Instead we could end up with a new film that retreads old ground. Batman Begins showed us a storyline which hadn't been attempted on film before, whereas a reboot could potentially retell a classic, which I think is unecessary. A lot of people are going to be unable to accept a retelling, not because their minds are closed but because STM is so ingrained in our conciousness it will be almost impossible not to compare an origin story to the original.

Last edited:
I think it's a real shame that since Robinov gave some information about Superman being reintroduced we've heard nothing since. WB can't be that confident in their decision if they won't make an official statement. The fans are left up in the air, debating the changes when all we want to know is who's directing, will there be a new star and is it a full reboot or not? We deserve better.

SR wasn't perfect but it was a solid base for what could have been the best film in the franchise. That was Singer's challenge, to reintroduce Superman and set up further films and in that respect he succeeded. Instead we could end up with a new film that retreads old ground. Batman Begins showed us a storyline which hadn't been attempted on film before, whereas a reboot could potentially retell a classic, which I think is unecessary. A lot of people are going to be unable to accept a retelling, not because their minds are closed but because STM is so ingrained in our conciousness it will be almost impossible not to compare an origin story to the original.

Totally agree with all of this, Batman had never had an origin movie before, thats why BB was necessary as a re-introduction for the character, with Superman, this isnt necessary, Singer's SR did a very good job IMO of re-introducing the character, and coud have been the base for a very special Superman franchise, but alas, WB chose otherwise, and i'm not at all convinced they can deliver something better.

Totally agree with all of this, Batman had never had an origin movie before, thats why BB was necessary as a re-introduction for the character, with Superman, this isnt necessary, Singer's SR did a very good job IMO of re-introducing the character, and coud have been the base for a very special Superman franchise, but alas, WB chose otherwise, and i'm not at all convinced they can deliver something better.

AGREED, guys!

But I'm not, and never will be, excited about this 'reboot' of the franchise. It's NOT needed, imo. And if Routh doesn't return, neither will I. It's just too soon for me. Besides, I will always have STM, S2 and SR to watch. :o

:csad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"