Superman Returns Would You Prefer Confirmed Sequel OR Confirmed Restart

Because it'd be a new version of the story. And because I believe that every story has to have a beginning, I also believe that every separate version has to have its own separate beginning. Otherwise, it'd just be a sequel, but a sequel has to fit within a pre-established timeline, IMO. And the only way to establish a new timeline, IMO, is to begin at the beginning.

By reimagining the city and estalishing the new universe, origins and such are not needed.

I hate lag!

Double post

By reimagining the city and estalishing the new universe, origins and such are not needed.

IMO, you cannot establish a new universe without first of all establishing a new beginning. My three favourite words come from a very famous book, and they are, "In the beginning ... ".

IMO, you cannot establish a new universe without first of all establishing a new beginning. My three favourite words come from a very famous book, and they are, "In the beginning ... ".

Beginning doesn't mean origin. Beginning means starting point, and a new universe where Superman exists is a starting point.

I think a reboot could be very dangerous for WB because if people hate that version, then they and we are going to be stuck with a dead franchise for a very long time. The Hulk is a perfect example, after a good start at the Box Office things have cooled right off and the general concensus is that it's an average film, good but not amazing and there's rumours that Norton won't return. So where do Marvel go from there? Do they recast and make a sequel to a film people weren't hugely bothered about or do they reboot again, which will just be plain embarassing. With SR they've got a film that was critically well received and generally praised by the fans and any sequel to SR would be very profitable. Rebooting could kill Superman off entirely and it may take a very long time to get made - 20 years anybody?

I've also been reading what Mark Millar has been saying recently and I've been finding his comments to be entirely of self-interest. He's creating propaganda to fulfill his own ambitions and has little or no thought to what the fans actually want or need. Stating that the "last movie lost $200m" is ill informed and his actions could contriute to killing of any new Superman movie reboot or sequel and he won't get his "lifetime's dream" and the fans will be withouth Superman.

IMO, yes it does. It means starting from zero, nada, nilch. It means birth. IMO.

If I start a story like "So I was in this store, when suddenly..." the story has a beginning. I was in the store. I didn't explain why I was in the store (no origin of me being in the store), but the beginning is no less effective in me starting my story.

Stories have beginning points. This does not mean origin or birth. IMO, that is a narrow view of what beginning means.

I realize that, but it is still a narrow view. What makes superhero movies really different from others? Nothing. They are still stories, and beginning does not always equal origin. Superman's origin is iconic and doesn't need constant revisiting.

I think a reboot could be very dangerous for WB because if people hate that version, then they and we are going to be stuck with a dead franchise for a very long time. The Hulk is a perfect example, after a good start at the Box Office things have cooled right off and the general concensus is that it's an average film, good but not amazing and there's rumours that Norton won't return. So where do Marvel go from there? Do they recast and make a sequel to a film people weren't hugely bothered about or do they reboot again, which will just be plain embarassing. With SR they've got a film that was critically well received and generally praised by the fans and any sequel to SR would be very profitable. Rebooting could kill Superman off entirely and it may take a very long time to get made - 20 years anybody?

I've also been reading what Mark Millar has been saying recently and I've been finding his comments to be entirely of self-interest. He's creating propaganda to fulfill his own ambitions and has little or no thought to what the fans actually want or need. Stating that the "last movie lost $200m" is ill informed and his actions could contriute to killing of any new Superman movie reboot or sequel and he won't get his "lifetime's dream" and the fans will be withouth Superman.

First welcome to the hype!

2nd awesome post, and i totally agree, at this point, i can see a sequel being a lot less risky than a re-boot, from both a business and fan stand point.

I'm talking about superhero movie series.
Audiences did just fine when watching Burton's first Batman movie.

Ditto for the first X-Men, which already had an established team.

Reboot. It worked well for James Bond and Batman (And to a degree, the Hulk) so why not Superman?

Reboot. It worked well for James Bond and Batman (And to a degree, the Hulk) so why not Superman?

It certainly worked for Bond and Batman but only because the previous installments killed off the existing franchises. A reboot for Superman could work but personally it's not what I want to see. It's also a more expensive and riskier option for WB. For example, if MOS is a huge success or even equals SR's box office takings then WB have a very profitable franchise on their hands all for the fraction of the cost of a reboot. If it fails, they can still reboot. If they reboot and that's a flop then they've lost everything and that will be the end of Superman on film for many, many years.

I want to see a SR sequel, not another reboot. I'm curious to see where they would take it. Especially considering Superman has a child...

I want to see a SR sequel, not another reboot. I'm curious to see where they would take it. Especially considering Superman has a child...

I agree, I really want to know what happens next. As long as Jason isn't some sickly, flying cute kid in the next film. It's been a few years since SR, which could actually benefit the father son plot.

I never minded there being a kid in the film or that he was Superman's son. The problem for me was how it was revealed, they did it in such broad strokes and it really broke the spell for me. The bit where Luthor tested Jason by waving Kryptonite into his face was so menacing and evil but that was enough to leave you wondering.

Personally I think the Chris Kent storyline was a better way to introduce a Super child but it's interesting that it's the direction both Singer and Donner wanted to take the characters.

Agreed.

I agree, I really want to know what happens next. As long as Jason isn't some sickly, flying cute kid in the next film. It's been a few years since SR, which could actually benefit the father son plot.

I never minded there being a kid in the film or that he was Superman's son. The problem for me was how it was revealed, they did it in such broad strokes and it really broke the spell for me. The bit where Luthor tested Jason by waving Kryptonite into his face was so menacing and evil but that was enough to leave you wondering.

Personally I think the Chris Kent storyline was a better way to introduce a Super child but it's interesting that it's the direction both Singer and Donner wanted to take the characters.

I liked the way Singer handled all the characters, including the Jason's introduction as Superman's son. I really want to see what happens next. It's very intriguing to me. No other film has done this to me before. :o

yeah, I can't wait for the sequel.

I loved superman returns, and I would love to see a sequel. The only concern I have is the introduction of superman's son, which I think is an interesting idea, but not one I want further explored or expanded on in a sequel--at least not a direct follow up to SR (it's definitely a very difficult plot element to juggle). Possibly in a third installment in which the stakes are raised considerably.

Darkseid, anyone?

In a direct sequel, I would further explore the relationship between the two of them, but leave Jason's powers very limited. They should develop in a later film.

I loved superman returns, and I would love to see a sequel. The only concern I have is the introduction of superman's son, which I think is an interesting idea, but not one I want further explored or expanded on in a sequel--at least not a direct follow up to SR (it's definitely a very difficult plot element to juggle). Possibly in a third installment in which the stakes are raised considerably.

Darkseid, anyone?

In a direct sequel, I would further explore the relationship between the two of them, but leave Jason's powers very limited. They should develop in a later film.

Agreed with all of this, i dont Jason was ever going to be the focus of the series anyway, just a new challenge for Superman, Superman and Lois should still be the focus in the sequel, and i agree Jason's powers should develop very slowly. IF it happens.

Reboot - Hulk style with nothing carried over from SR
Well, lets just see how well that went;

Hulk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Incredible Hulk
Cost: $137 million >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cost: $150 million
Played: 119 days / 17 weeks >>>>>>>>>>>> Played: 70 days / 10 weeks
Domestic Gross: $132 million >>>>>>>>>>>> Domestic Gross: $134 million
Int'nl Gross: $113 million >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Int'nl Gross: $109 million

Total Gross: $245 million >>>>>>>>>>>> Total Gross: $243 million

Figures from DarkHorizons.com

^This means nothing, Batman Begins had to overcome a FAR worse predecessor than TIH did, and still made over $350 million WW. Also, IMO Hulk was a superb film, and it has quite a large cult following, so it wasnt considered to be as bad as you think the public percieved this. The excellent DVD sales of the 2003 movie heavily back this up.

I really wish they would've continued the story of SR. I loved it. It reminded me of everything I loved about the Donner films, but with fresh faces and stories to tell. It was one of my favorite films of 2006.

I didn't realize till later how many people loathed and hated it...may be it's because I don't follow the Superman comics closely? Idk. :huh:

^No its not because of that, granted, I only started reading Superman comics after seeing SR, but I have now read 28 Superman graphic novels, and can still watch and love SR. So its not the fact that you dont read Superman comics is the reason you liked it. It really does seem to be a love/hate movie, people who like it, REALLY like it, me included, but people who dislike it, REALLY dislike it, strange, there seem to be very few people in the middle.

Computer freezes = reboot

Superman Returns = reboot

:)

Honestly? My personal preference would be a complete restart. As much as SR was inspired by the Donner films, it could easily be a bookend to that series of films, with a restart bringing in both a new perspective, as well as fresh start to the Superman franchise. Which much like the Batman franchise, it most definately deserves.

Agreed. I can see them coming out saying "Superman Returns was the finale of the Donner series" or something up that alley. A definite Reboot/Restart is what I want t see...with a new Krypton, Smallville, Fortress, Metropolis, the billionaire tycoon Lex Luthor, who was once seen as a hero and model citizen now delving into his dark side due to him not being the top dog anymore, consumed with hate and plans to destroy Superman...his creation of Metallo (with technology provide by Brainiac to test the last son of Krypton).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"