X-Men: Dark PhoeniX Rate and Review Thread (spoilers in spoiler tags)

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by psylockolussus, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Rate it! x

1. X love it!

1.9%
  2. IX like it!

7.7%
  3. VIII its good!

4.8%
  4. VII its okay!

18.3%
  5. VI meh!

13.5%
  6. V not good!

14.4%
  7. IV pretty bad!

6.7%
  8. III ugh! really bad

11.5%
  9. II terrible!

5.8%
  10. I the worst!

5.8%
  11. No plan to watch it

9.6%
  1. DACrowe Registered

I called it mediocre. It's not a good movie. But to be able to notice that many critics are enjoying calling it a disaster and using hyperbole to compare it to true train wrecks like Fan4stic and Elektra is not "weird." It's just having a difference of opinion and noticing that folks came at this with their knives out and might be enjoying cutting deep for the sake of cutting.

2. DACrowe Registered

Pretty well said. This gets to its problems in a fair and accurate way. Comparing it to BvS seems fair in this way to me.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  3. Hand Banana Registered

Wrong thread.

4. Hand Banana Registered

Actually, it was like that in the comics.

5. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

The comics had the Phoenix Raptor.

6. Hand Banana Registered

That’s pretty much the reason why you don’t feel much of anything for the characters despite some of them being around for four movies now. The pacing/editing just never gives the audience enough time to breathe and make the characters feel like they matter.

The 2+ hour version really should have been the theatrical version.

7. MarvelU Registered

I stand corrected, I guess I just wanted to see more of what was in XMen Apocalypse ending or what I see in more recent comic art. The fire bird was pretty good at end of apocalypse.

8. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

And I’d point to that cinemascore which shows moviegoers think it’s as good as Green Lantern. The opening weekend audience apparently isn’t too far off from the critics so I disagree about any unfair mob mentality.

#133 Flint Marko, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    shinlyle likes this.
  9. Blade Hoarder Registered

Yeah. The cienmascore is lower than Origins. Keep in mind this is the weekend crowd. The people most predisposed to liking it.

psylockolussus likes this.
  10. DACrowe Registered

They also put it about on par with Batman v Superman, which is fair. I don't think either are Batman & Robin or Superman IV, or Fan4stic which I see others lumping this in with. Maybe I'll just need to suffer through it again and see it's "really that bad."

11. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

But don't you guys see?! The weekend crowd only went to the cinema to hate-watch this movie! They were obviously all MCU fanboys with nothing better to do! *flips table over*

What's sadder is even with the forecast calling for Pets to win the weekend, boxoffice sites were still hopeful Dark Phoenix would have a higher Friday BO because fans were going to see this the first chance they got. But no Pets 2 topped it $16Mil to DPh's $14Mil.

12. Raiders Registered

13. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

There is no agenda against Zack Snyder. There is an agenda against bad movies.

Audience score is incredibly unreliable and easy to prejudice. Can be safely ignored.

14. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

People I know who have seen it say it's worse than Apocalypse and I thought Apocalypse was pretty dreadful. Not an outright disaster but just pointless.

The time jump thing is a big sticking point with me. Again, it worked in DOFP but sticking with that choice baffles me.

I'll give DP this, the marketing was way better this time around than it was with Apocalypse. I remember seeing some TV spots for Dark Phoenix and

#139 Flint Marko, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  15. Frankeh Registered

Well, Apocalypse in X-Men: Apocalypse felt pretty much straight out of the Batman & Robin set.

At least this movie doesn't have an embarrasment like that, I guess? But I've heard nothing good about Chastain's villain.

X-Maniac likes this.
  16. Hand Banana Registered

She gets a cool fight scene and that is about it.

17. X men Fan Registered

Well put!

18. Mr.T Registered

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was ok. My wife and daughter loved it. As others have stated, I didn’t really care about what was going on with any of the characters. Lots of whining in the movie. Magneto was awesome as usual.

Underwhelming and a very quiet close to such an influential franchise. 5/10.

19. Detective Conan Registered

......and?

20. P Supreme Registered

Wow how bad was that? first and foremost let me see if I get this straight they were mad a Charles for essentially controlling her since her accident but then they mad Charles because he can't control her now BUT NOBODY BRINGS UP THE FACT SHE HAS AN ALIEN ENTITY IN HER and no explanation on what was that in X:A were going to ignore that fire bird that killed Apacalypse that what happens when you switch writers OH WAIT NO THEY DIDN'T

and no surprise Mystique only transformation was to J.Lawrence

and Genosha oh man so I was told it may look like a scrap yard in the trailers but not in the movie
    well it was a literal scrap yard so terrible

and the kids name her the phoenix lolololol how many times did Jean say "when it comes bad things happen"? top notch writing right there

movie was terrible except for the score

scale on 1-10 I'll give a 2

21. nightwing06 Registered

The X-men say goodbye to foX and helllllllllllllooooooo to Disney/Marvel

PRAISE: I went in with eXtremely low eXpectations after all of the terrible things i have heard about Dark PhoeniX for almost a year now.
    Fortunately i was able to embrace some of the plot.The mutant co eXisting with human story thread is still strong.Performances by James McAvoy,Sophie Turner,Nicholas Hoult and Michael Fassbender are strong.A good portion of the SFX is glorious to take in.Some good dramatic moments are laced in with some terrific action sequences.

PROBLEMS:Jennifer Lawrence is basically around long enough to deliver an SJW gut punch.Jessica Chastain is absolutely terrible in the movie.I kept looking at her and saying to myself,why is she standing there like that?Why is she delivering her lines in such a spaced out manner? Come on Jessica you're better than this !!
    There are some TV shows and movies that are able to overcome changes to canon,swapped out story threads and characters Dark PhoeniX is not one of those movies.
    I could actually see the limitations in this film as it played out.It's a shame how they decided to sum up almost 20 years of films in a dry,laughable and eye roll inducing way.

Im not sure if New Mutants will ever make it to the big screen,but i know i will definitely wait until it hits cable or a streaming service.

Scale of 1-10 a 6

22. Random490 Registered

Correct, from what I remember the "agenda" only started once Man of Steel was released. It began as a reaction to the actual film. Going into it people were excited and pretty hype for it. A guy I know once said, "The greatest Superman movie ever made was the Man of Steel trailer." And I think that puts it perfectly. WB had a chance to look at the criticism and course correct for the future but went all in with Snyder and gave him free reigns until it was too late to course correct.

Dark Phoenix is a little different, It's coming off a poorly received film, directed by someone that no one has confidence in, and is being released after the biggest news regarding the franchise is that it's coming to the far more beloved MCU. It's really a recipe for poor reception and I wouldn't be surprised if people were just done with the franchise and wrote it off before seeing it.

I came to this thread because I'm on the fence with seeing it. I liked the trailers and really want to enjoy Fox's last hurrah, even if it's 'just okay'. But I do not want another X3, leaving the theater just pissed off. I mean I actually enjoyed Apocalypse, despite it's many, many flaws, it was the first X-men film to actually feel like the X-men I grew up with. But if this film is worst than that then I don't know. And this thread has not been able to lean me one way or the other.

23. Theweepeople Registered

I misspoke in my original post. Most of Snyder’s films have been bad. I just thought the critics had an agenda against two of the 3 films I liked by Snyder. Regardless, this is all subjective. I personally feel critics can have an agenda foror against certain directors. Another example that comes to mind is the critic vs audience score of Star Wars The Last Jedi. Critics loved that movie in contrast to a horrendous audience score. I’ve yet to meet a Star Wars fan that liked that turd.

24. Hand Banana Registered

The alien entity is never called the Phoenix Force in the movie, near does it resemble a Phoenix. What we saw in Apocalypse was Jean’s mutant power.

25. P Supreme Registered

which resembled a fire bird so hence me and others foolishly thinking it was the phoenix silly me for reacting to something shown to me on screen

Fist of Khonshu likes this.