X-Men: Dark PhoeniX Rate and Review Thread (spoilers in spoiler tags)

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by psylockolussus, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Rate it! x

1. X love it!

1.9%
  2. IX like it!

7.7%
  3. VIII its good!

4.8%
  4. VII its okay!

18.3%
  5. VI meh!

13.5%
  6. V not good!

14.4%
  7. IV pretty bad!

6.7%
  8. III ugh! really bad

11.5%
  9. II terrible!

5.8%
  10. I the worst!

5.8%
  11. No plan to watch it

9.6%
  1. FTCBIRDMAN Registered

But that's one tweet. That's not an agenda. Most critics aren't saying it's horrible either. Most are just saying it's not a good film. The tomatometer simply says that most critics agree that it's not a good movie. The tomatometer being at 28% or whatever it is doesn't mean it's a 28% out of 100%. It means 28% of the critics gave it a fresh review. There is no agenda

moviedoors likes this.
  2. X men Fan Registered

Well you can believe that. I don’t believe for a second.. As much as this movie got put down the last year.. That critics went in with an open mind. Jeremy isn’t a coincidence

3. Ninjablade Not as bad as it looks

I've seen this twice now, and I still can't really wrap my head around what I think despite thinking about it for a whole. I've never been so detached from a film-watching experience like this movie just left me feeling nothing. I don't think it was good, but I don't think it was overly bad. A solid 5/10

4. FTCBIRDMAN Registered

Yes I do choose to believe facts. People not agreeing with your opinion does not mean there is some secret conspiracy. The user reviews are not very good on this movie either. Are all those people part of the conspiracy too? I do not even know who this Jeremy person is your talking about but anytime you go on to Twitter, you're going to find people making things up or generally trolling. Again, one person's tweet does constitute a grand conspiracy. I'm sorry people don't agree with your opinions, but that's how the world works

By your Command and EnDz0n3 like this.
  5. Hand Banana Registered

Its because the film barley stop and let the characters be human beings.

#105 Hand Banana, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Charzhin0 likes this.
  6. Hand Banana Registered

Originally, the exchange was a line from the comic by the Watcher.

Vuk: “You could have been a God”

Jean: “I’d rather die a mortal”

7. Heretic Registered

I don't pay attention to this stuff...dont even have a Twitter...whats this about a critic posting a review for the film before he saw it?? A link to a story about that would be nice...along with some sort of evidence that he hadn't actually seen a copy of the film (or an admission that he faked a review).

PS: I have no idea who this Jeremy guy even is...I'm going to assume that he's an actual critic and not some random dude on Twitter.

8. Ene Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Jeremy Conrad, ManaByte. He runs a Marvel site, largely based on MCU properties.

That would have been slightly better. The emotions line just doesn't mean anything with this film, tonally. It's just cliched and out of place.

X men Fan likes this.
  9. X men Fan Registered

Who called it a conspiracy? I simply refuse to believe he was the only one that felt that way. But that’s the issue. Majority of people agree with my opinion on the movie being average at best and not crap. No need to apologize

10. Vasilios Firework

It’s because we don’t know this version of the newer X-men and we don’t care for them as they are written. Everyone is just a basic prop , and we’ve seen too much of Prof x Magneto and mystique. It was like playing baseball but every thing was pre planned in the game and we all knew it.

Ninjablade and X men Fan like this.
  11. Hand Banana Registered

It seems like they were scenes that developed Scott and Jean more that were cut.

12. writer0327 Registered

Just got back from seeing it, was totally expecting a disaster and honestly it wasn't. It was a huge heap of "meh" however. I think this was the same problem I had with Apocalypse, DP is just a lot of grandiosity, but boils down to predictable dialog and by-the-numbers set pieces. Emotional moments happens, but there's no emotional resonance to any of it. It's literally stuff happening on a screen set to a musical score. It made sense, it wasn't pointless, but you just didn't feel any weight to what was going on. It felt almost unimportant, just stuff happening to characters we don't really care about. Honestly, I think that was my biggest problem. I felt nothing for these characters. I wasn't scared for them or scared of them, I didn't feel sorry for the characters I should have felt sorry for, I didn't root for the characters when there were clearly moments I should've been cheering for them. I should have been emotionally invested in what was going on, but I wasn't. I had a similar feeling with BvS. I was supposed to feel something because of who the characters were, but in the end, they were just guys and gals on a screen and the director never brought me into their story or made me feel something. And it felt short, compacted, and rushed, like we were hurrying from one scene to the next without any time to contemplate what had happened. Can't say its the worst film of the year, but I won't be watching it again anytime soon.

4.5/10

13. TheScarecrow Registered

On the whole I have loved Fox’s X-Men films. There is only one I truly dislike, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

With that in mind, I did not hate this movie. However, it is seriously flawed. There are two major flaws to this movie:

1. Leaps in character logic; and
    2. Lack of artistic flair.
    Sophie Turner is fine, but she is no Famke. This movie would have been so much more powerful as an adaption of the comics story and as a finale to the series had it been a sequel to DOFP. The emotion of the story would truly have been earned.

Kinberg repeats his biggest mistake of X3, which was robbing Jean or agency. She’s frightened and moves from person to person looking for someone to tell her what to do. There are only two truly powerful moments for DP as a character: when she goes to her father’s and her final scene confronting Vuk.

That being said, I believed her transformation here. I truly did. I think the script portrayed that really well. However, my problem was that she didn’t really do much once she was Dark Phoenix.

I’m not going to comment on Vuk. The character was a waste of space in this movie. Jessica Chastain’s performance was awful. The aliens destroyed this movie and they were jarring and unexplained. They are on the same level as Suicide Squad’s villains. Bizzare, unexplained and boring. Dark Phoenix should have been the villain of this film - there was no need for anyone else.

However, Chastain and Turner allow for me to raise something. Kinberg’s biggest fault with this movie was his lack of artistic flair. The movie is bland and uncinematic. There’s no truly startling visuals at all. It’s business-like (and consider Kinberg’s background here). Turner and Chastain are both gorgeous women - but they’re presented here with hair, makeup and costuming decisions which simply do not work. They never look good and it’s not for story purposes. It’s simply because Kinberg seems unable to make good visual choices.

I’m not saying that they should have been sexualised or anything - quite the opposite. I’m just saying that part of a director’s job is to make their actors look good. It’s small stuff that actually does matter though.

McAvoy is fine, but the movie unjustifiably attacks Professor X and for no reason. There was a better role for Professor X in this film. I’m fine with him having faults but this was the same story beats from X3 and like in X3 you never really get the feeling he has learnt anything.

The film best made use of Magneto, which surprised me. I have been of the view that Magneto had no reason to be in Apocalypse or this film. However, I believed Magneto’s motivations most of all of them, and Fassbender was delightful as always.

Mystique. Oh boy, Mystique. I don’t hate Jennifer Lawrence by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s been no secret that these movies have had no idea what to do with her for a really long time, I think Lawrence is fine here, but it’s also clear she realises what everyone else has as well - this is not the character she signed on to play. Mystique should simply not be in this movie. There were too many important characters. Her role as a friend could have been taken over by Charles and her death by the serious injury of Charles. It would have tightened the film.

It also would have allowed Cyclops to lead the X-Men in light of Beast and Magneto seeking revenge for what Phoenix did to Charles. This would have given Cyclops more to do than he had, and would have given a better opportunity to explore his character. Also - his visor looked cheap and ill-fitting. Another example of Kinberg’s lack of visual sense.

Shipp is just wasted as storm. Truly disappointing. Even her displays of power were just boring and so small-scale. Nightcrawler isn’t even worth mention. Aside from Chastain he was the biggest waste of space in this film. Smit-McPhee’s performance was embarrassing, and that train sequence showed that Kinberg just does not understand the character.

My biggest criticism: the movie looked bad. Where was the budget spent? Most of them barely used their powers. The CGI was weak. The action sequences were in such small scale. The cinematography was bland and uninspired. Honestly, it looked like it was made for Netflix.

Overall, not as bad as people have claimed but not great either. It’s a better adaption of the Dark Phoenix saga than The Last Stand, but it is not as entertaining or visually inventive as even that movie. I give it a 5/10.

Final rankings for Fox’s X-Men films:
    1. Days of Future Past
    2. Logan
    3. X2
    4. First Class
    5. Deadpool
    6. The Wolverine
    7. X-Men
    8. Deadpool 2
    9. Apocalypse
    10. The Last Stand
    11. Dark Phoenix
    12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

psylockolussus likes this.
  14. Mysteryman Registered

I am going to post a more specific review later in the spoiler thread but, I LOVED the film.
    My rating is 9/10.

15. FTCBIRDMAN Registered

You called it a conspiracy. By saying critics went in with an agenda, you are implying that they were not honest with their reviews. You are implying that there is some sort of conspiracy to have this movie fail. I'm not sure why anyone would want that. Again, most of the critics are not saying it's crap. Even the consensus on Rotten Tomatos says it "disappointing ". So we've established that most people are disappointed with the movie as are the critics. So again I ask, what agenda are you referring to?

16. inomilan Registered

Saw it. It was okay. 6/10 Thank God they're going to Marvel Studios now.

Edit: I still hate this version of Mystique. Oh and they kinda made Xavier stupid here.

#116 inomilan, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  17. DACrowe Registered

It's not good. It's not a disaster either like so many have claimed--including critics who are strangely piling on with a mob mentality with hyperbole--but it is most definitely a mediocre movie. I dig in deeper with spoilers below.

Why it didn't work:
    Surprise, surprise - Simon Kinberg is still a terrible writer. He doesn't write dialogue between characters, but rather exposition that explains each character's motivation, "I just buried my foster sister," as opposed to revealing the depths of their sadness or pain. He just has them state what is going on in them, which is not the same thing. That or clumsy dialogue to get the plot from A to B, "Someone spotted Jean in New York." As a result the drama falls flat, and because this attempts to be a drama about what Jean is going through the movie is flat.

It doesn't help that Jean's turn from in control to out of control is 0 to 60, and Sophie Turner, as much as I like her on Game of Thrones and as a celebrity personality, could not pull off Jean's dark turn I'm sad to say. With a better script and likely more seasoned director she could've probably been serviceable (see: Game of Thrones) but she was left out high and dry here.

The aliens... just no.

What it actually did pretty well: Not so surprisingly, the score is amazing Hans Zimmer knocked it out of the park. It created better tension than Kinberg's flat script and unconfident direction, and it also is just a wowzer of an X-Men score. 'Tis a pity no one will remember it.

The action is really great. The reshoots paid off, as that train sequence is dynamite and, unsurprisingly, the space sequence they teased for months at the beginning was top-notch. The X-Men were actually behaving like X-Men in space. It's a great moment. Also the X-Men behaving like themselves at school with their hair down afterward. We could've used more scenes like that and of seeing Jean in her day-to-day slowly being corrupted by the Phoenix Force, which would've made the transformation more painful. I know some will dislike that a lot of practical effects instead of heavy CGI were used in sequences like the Central Park fight, but to me that was a highlight. It felt down and dirty while actually feeling like the X-Men comics more than most Bryan Singer-directed action sequences (with several notable exceptions).

McAvoy and Fassbender don't know how to phone it in (ahem, JLaw) and are good, even if Fassy is given very little to do. And Nicholas Hoult gave his best performance as Beast in this movie. After four movies, he's finally allowed to do some good stuff, albeit it still makes no sense why he transforms between human and blue.

Overall it's a 5.5-6/10 from me. Not a good movie, but better than Venom, which got better reviews, and honestly not that far off from Captain Marvel in terms of quality, which was even patchier in terms of post-production reshoot muddying. But it had the benefit of starring Brie Larson and not being part of a franchise where folks had their knives out. Mediocrity was tolerated from the MCU, from Fox-Marvel, it was an excuse to execute.

X men Fan likes this.
  18. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

It's weird to say critics are "piling on" a movie when the consensus from pretty much everywhere is that it sucks.

moviedoors likes this.
  19. MarvelU Registered

I saw it. I would say its a very forgetful movie for this being the last one. This movie was lacking any joy or light warm moments. It was truly depressing the whole time and not once did I laugh or smile. Some of the action was ok, but still very underwhelming action scenes. The Phoenix storyline should be a story full of good visuals but this adaption did not do that.

Chastains character was so forgetful and was one of the worst villains in X-Men movie history, just so underwhelming. Kinda like the Dark Elves in Thor Dark World.

Dark Phoenix herself was also very underwhelming, hated her outfit and her pink energy force fields its just not the Dark Phoenix Ive seen in the comic or cartoons.

The best parts were probably the scenes with Magneto, NightCrawler, Quicksilver, and Charles. Some of Storm and Cyclops action scenes were ok, but they were still miss-used.

For a second attempt at adapting the iconic Phoenix storyline, this was not very good. I give it a 4/10

My X movie rankings

1) X2 / X-Men Day of Future Past
    2) Deadpool
    3) Logan / Deadpool 2
    4) X - Men First Class
    5) X - Men
    6) Apocalypse / The Wolverine
    7) Dark Phoenix / X-Men The Last Stand
    8) XO: Wolverine

blueleax and Tymminator like this.
  20. samsnee Ok

I think about the beginning of Abrams’ Star Tek 09 when he was able to make me care about Kirk’s father in such limited screen time compared to what you described. They’re just props for set pieces that we don’t feel any connection to. It shows how a good or great director can really make a difference.

21. writer0327 Registered

Totally agree. And its our connection to these characters as people that makes a story like DP even work. You can put characters into a narrative with a lot of emotional storybeats and tell us about them, but it doesn't mean it will make us feel anything.

22. Hammer! Registered

1. X2 8.5
    2. First Class 7.5
    3. X-Men 7
    4. DOFP 7
    5. The Last Stand 5
    6. Dark Phoenix 4.5
    7. Apocalypse 4

23. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

Snyder DCEU syndrome - 'I like this movie, so a poor critical reception must have insincere motivations, rather than me admitting to myself that I like a movie that most others think is bad'.

24. Charzhin0 Registered

Good summary. The colour grading, lighting and clothes choices he made were too monochrome giving the overall impression as visually dull.

It started off quite colourful though with Professor Xs new illuminated seat and the striking colour uniforms with both Mistique and Beast in natural form. As well as the space flare effects. But soon as they return to earth and the blue mutants turn human, it becomes visually dry.

25. Theweepeople Registered

I disagree with the perceived Snyder DCEU syndrome. I think most Snyder fans have a chip on their shoulder because they’re irritated with the discrepancy between the audience and critic score on rotten tomatoes. I’m not a huge Snyder fan but, I’ve always felt there was an agenda against all of his movies. Critics usually always rate his films much lower than the general public reaction.

Also, before anyone attempts to call me a Snyder apologist I will make it clear that I only like 3 of his films. BvS and Justice League don’t qualify.