Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix Skepticism Thread

marvelrobbins

Avenger
Reaction score
here is place so news and speculation can be more postive to discuss skeptism.

mine beings with simon kinberg as writer,producer,and director

worry the mergingof phoenix and dark phoenix and magneto,mystique,and quicksilver will take focus off of who this film should be focusing on jean and cyclops.

Last edited:
First-time director.

Writer/Director/Producer Simon Kinberg. He's like the sh***y Quentin Tarantino of comic book movies.

JLaw as Raven/Mystique as a major character.

Will Magneto switch sides again.

Quicksilver hair and costume.

90s Civilian clothing.

Subpar F/X.

1.) Simon Kinberg - Spotty track record as a writer in this franchise.
2.) Simon Kinberg - Spotty track record as a writer in general.
3.) Simon Kinberg - Already missed once adapting the Dark Phoenix story.
4.) Simon Kinberg - First time director. Unless he pulls something special off we're getting Singer-lite, which is bad news for Singer fans and non fans.
5.) Simon Kinberg - Writing AND directing? There will be no filter for any garbage.

Very concerned with Magneto and Mystique being involved. They need to be more on the periphery than they ever have been. At least compared to the FC trilogy.

Outside of McAvoy who I think I will love forever; I'm bored of the FC group. Fassbender is terrific as Magneto and a great addition to any cast, but the character has been done to death.

I want focus on the proper X-Men team and not have it be Magneto/Raven heavy. Also don't want a shoehorned Quicksilver set piece.

lack of a good screenwriter

no actual director involved in this

I want X-Men as a team to be fully functional from the start at this point. They took a whole trilogy to form them. Now its time to see them in action.
1.) Simon Kinberg - Spotty track record as a writer in this franchise.
2.) Simon Kinberg - Spotty track record as a writer in general.
3.) Simon Kinberg - Already missed once adapting the Dark Phoenix story.
4.) Simon Kinberg - First time director. Unless he pulls something special off we're getting Singer-lite, which is bad news for Singer fans and non fans.
5.) Simon Kinberg - Writing AND directing? There will be no filter for any garbage.
You pretty much nailed it. I fear we get something cheap like that Inhumans tv show.

lack of a good screenwriter

no actual director involved in this

will you sinal the problem.if an actual director on top of his game like singer was with dofp i would be more enthustic about film.kinberg is major trouble left to his own devices.just imagine apocalypse if singer wasn't around at all ad you get why i am skeptical all around on dark phoenix.

Yay with this thread its just like the spider-man homecoming section!

Yay with this thread its just like the spider-man homecoming section!

better to have htread like this out of the news and discussion thread.you had to know even those who like the singer films weren't going to like idea of kinberg as director.

I'm not sure how this one makes money for the Murdochs. Apocalypse didn't make the Deadline list of the twenty-two most profitable films last year, and you would have to expect some softening at the BO for Dark Phoenix given the mediocre critical reception to the preceding installment. Add galactic settings, pricey new contracts for McAvoy, Fassbender and The Mutant Leader along with a newbie director and DP (tee hee!) could be the film that puts the main X-Men team on ice for a while.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-pr...cret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

I'm not sure how this one makes money for the Murdochs. Apocalypse didn't make the Deadline list of the twenty-two most profitable films last year, and you would have to expect some softening at the BO for Dark Phoenix given the mediocre critical reception to the preceding installment. Add galactic settings, pricey new contracts for McAvoy, Fassbender and The Mutant Leader along with a newbie director and DP (tee hee!) could be the film that puts the main X-Men team on ice for a while.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-pr...cret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

TBH if this makes less money then apocalypse then thats more on the audience having no interest in X-Men anymore.

But hey it being X-Men it should have a decent confident enough standing at the box office anyway but if it takes a bigger hit even if the trailers are really good then yeah maybe the Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite producers were right that no one really remembers X-Men.

Last edited:
if it takes a bigger hit even if the trailers are really good then yeah maybe the Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite producers
were right that no one really remembers X-Men.
Or its just that a lot people who care about X-Men and who you say don't matter because they're just fanboys won't pay for it.

Its not the property/characters fault.

Or its just that a lot people who care about X-Men and who you say don't matter because they're just fanboys won't pay for it.

Its not the property/characters fault.

Fan boys are the minority.

Look at transformers you think alot of that audience is fanboys? or those who grew up with the cartoon?

TBH if this makes less money then apocalypse then thats more on the audience having no interest in X-Men anymore.

I think audiences still have interest, but the franchise is getting a tad long in the tooth. Softening at the BO should be expected, and the poor reception to Apocalypse doesn't help. Also, there are 7 other Marvel films (Black Panther, New Mutants, Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Ant Man & The Wasp, Venom & Animated Spidey) for audiences to choose from in 2018. Plus Aquaman and The Incredibles. Only a few of us die hards will be seeing all eight.

Admittedly November 2, 2018 is a very different date for an X-Men movie.

That is when its coming out right? kinda surprised this is the date they chose.

You pretty much nailed it. I fear we get something cheap like that Inhumans tv show.

Inhumans does look cheap. But that's network tv. As mediocre(or worse) as Apocalypse was, it was still of a certain quality much much higher than television. I'm certainly not worried about that. Don't think that look/feel and presentation will change all that much. They're going to have 200 million dollars to work with. TV show can't come close to that. First time director or not, Kinberg isn't making something that cheap. I don't think he'd be able to even if he tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"