Days of Future Past 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in movie continuity, Famke Jean is way too old to be the same Jean in the beginning of X3. It's a minor thing that can be ignored.

...... That's movie continuity vs comic continuity. Its not the same thing....Do you really want a 20 year (at least) age gap between Scott and Alex and it being said they're brothers when Alex is old enough to be his father (yet doesn't look it) sorry that's very very lazy and a bigger mess of an already horribly messy movie continuity.

Id personally rather Alex just be Scott's father in the movie universe and call it a day..... The Alex and Scott relationship due to the age gap already wouldn't be the same as the books so there's no point trying to force it

The movie bares X-Men as its title and neither magneto or xavier, really if you think about it are x-men. I say time we drop those two and introduce a new villain. Anyone feel something Sinister in the air?

your view is of a comic book fan but if you look at these films as what they are movies then you need a backbone to these films and its always has been Xavier and magneto in some way or another

that could change but why singer and fox would do that is beyond me

wolverine also but can't see them ever killing him off

your view is of a comic book fan but if you look at these films as what they are movies then you need a backbone to these films and its always has been Xavier and magneto in some way or another

that could change but why singer and fox would do that is beyond me

wolverine also but can't see them ever killing him off

Id actually argue that (besides this way of thinking is rubbish) that in the movie-verse the x-men and the brotherhood still act like children while magneto and Charles act as the parents.... The xmen can't grow up if they still are forced to rely on their parents.....

I think Fox relying on those two severely limits the other characters to actually grow as characters

Why would Xavier being out of the picture not work in the movies?:huh:

it could work if singer when through to effort to set it up, i just don't see fox or singer needing a reason to do so when they could just keep these characters that casual audiences know and just write around them, best of both worlds

from fans point of view they are just in the way of other characters getting there screentime but i can't see singer or Fox in general seeing it that way, they have always been the backbone to these stories, if you ignore wolverines role

I thought the backbone was that they are an ostracized group because of their mutations and our shunned by society thus making it relatable to ethnic minorities, homosexuals etc.

The X-Men fight to protect those who hate and fear them. That's the backbone that it needs and already has as that has been the recurring theme in every x-men movie. excepting origins: wolverine

yeah but there is a difference between movies and comic books, mostly fans read comic books, casual audiences see these films which is partly or mostly where the money comes from

if you look at how the movies have been so far its been Xmen vs the brotherhood for X1, xmen with help from magneto to save Xavier for X2, Xmen vs Magneto X3, origins with Xavier cameo, first class the beginnings of Xavier and magneto, with only the wolverine not having any of them

yeah they could get rid of Xavier, but would singer or Fox risk that when they can just keep them in the films and work around them?

The X-Men name seems to be what sells an audience, and if any character does sell its Wolverine. They don't need Xavier (not saying he should be ditched) Wolverine, or Magneto. They have plenty of other marketable characters, and this series can easily survive without him. The only thing people can assume the general audience likes is whats been show but there is no study giving us numbers on how these things work, or how a comic fans preference is changed from a non comic reader. Show someone a cool character that is well written and they will probably like them. Usually popular characters have fan base for a reason, and the audience adapts to them regardless of their prior knowledge.

Id actually argue that (besides this way of thinking is rubbish) that in the movie-verse the x-men and the brotherhood still act like children while magneto and Charles act as the parents.... The xmen can't grow up if they still are forced to rely on their parents.....

I think Fox relying on those two severely limits the other characters to actually grow as characters

well how many times have the films took Xavier away, in a coma, striker kidnapping him or killing him off so the "children" have to take charge

but he always come back at the end

they could have killed him off in X3 all together but they left it open ended and now he is back for DOFP

I thought the backbone was that they are an ostracized group because of their mutations and our shunned by society thus making it relatable to ethnic minorities, homosexuals etc.

The X-Men fight to protect those who hate and fear them. That's the backbone that it needs and already has as that has been the recurring theme in every x-men movie. excepting origins: wolverine

aint that more of a concept, backbone being what holds these films up, the first ever xmen film started with young magneto and ended with Xavier leaving magento in his glass prison, x2 has scenes between them and the Xmen are trying to save Xavier and magneto has a big part of that and ends up using it to his advantage in the end and as for X3 well again it opens up with a scene with xavier and magneto visiting young jean and the film ends with magneto

and all that was even more explored in First class

Last edited:
The X-Men name seems to be what sells an audience, and if any character does sell its Wolverine. They don't need Xavier (not saying he should be ditched) Wolverine, or Magneto. They have plenty of other marketable characters, and this series can easily survive without him. The only thing people can assume the general audience likes is whats been show but there is no study giving us numbers on how these things work, or how a comic fans preference is changed from a non comic reader. Show someone a cool character that is well written and they will probably like them. Usually popular characters have fan base for a reason, and the audience adapts to them regardless of their prior knowledge.

its all about playing safe though, which has been something FOX is really good at if you look at X3 and origins

and wolverine has his own films now also so what do you do with the xmen films? make him the lead in them and his solo movies? or concentrate on another well known character for the Xmen films to them up for audiences

Last edited:
...... That's movie continuity vs comic continuity. Its not the same thing....Do you really want a 20 year (at least) age gap between Scott and Alex and it being said they're brothers when Alex is old enough to be his father (yet doesn't look it) sorry that's very very lazy and a bigger mess of an already horribly messy movie continuity.

Id personally rather Alex just be Scott's father in the movie universe and call it a day..... The Alex and Scott relationship due to the age gap already wouldn't be the same as the books so there's no point trying to force it

Here's a crazy idea: what if Scott and Alex age slowly? I know they don't have this ability in the comics, but neither did Sebastian Shaw, and that was explained by his absorbing energy and storing it to make him younger. Scott and Alex absorb energy to fuel their powers, so they could have that extra ability as well.

its all about playing safe though, which has been something FOX is really good at if you look at X3 and origins

and wolverine has his own films now also so what do you do with the xmen films? make him the lead in them and his solo movies? or concentrate on another well known character for the Xmen films

They have so many options its insane. I agree they have played it safe but I think alot has to do with Brian Singer's personal preference in using Prof X and Magneto as main characters. And not so much what fans or the audience would prefer to see. Theres no reason say Cyclops cant be represented as the lead at some point, and I'm pretty sure he would be just as welcomed as Prof X or Logan have been.

There is no risk if you think patrick and ian are drawing audiences they you're sadly mistaken.

Fox knows that audiences will come whether the movie focuses on the relationship between xavier/magneto or storm/cyclops or wolverine/rogue etc as log as it is a good movie.

The movie bares X-Men as its title and neither magneto or xavier, really if you think about it are x-men. I say time we drop those two and introduce a new villain. Anyone feel something Sinister in the air?

I want Fox to drop Professor X and Magneto in the next movie because I think there's just no way, the other X-Men would really shine if Professor X is still in the picture. I feel like Professor X will always have a big/meaningful role in the movie and characters like Storm, Iceman will always remain as supporting characters if Prof X is still around.

Then with Magneto, I just want the X-Men to face another big mutant villain. I feel like the movies keep going back and forth with Magneto and he always have a big role. And like Professor X, you just can't downgrade him into a supporting character. They had Stryker/Sebastian Shaw in the past movies as the main antagonist, but who defeated those villains? Magneto.

A team X-Men movie without Magneto, a X-Men team movie without Professor X telling the X-Men what to do and the X-Men facing a new villain like Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister would be quite refreshing.

I want Fox to drop Professor X and Magneto in the next movie because I think there's just no way, the other X-Men would really shine if Professor X is still in the picture. I feel like Professor X will always have a big/meaningful role in the movie and characters like Storm, Iceman will always remain as supporting characters if Prof X is still around.

Then with Magneto, I just want the X-Men to face another big mutant villain. I feel like the movies keep going back and forth with Magneto and he always have a big role. And like Professor X, you just can't downgrade him into a supporting character. They had Stryker/Sebastian Shaw in the past movies as the main antagonist, but who defeated those villains? Magneto.

A team X-Men movie without Magneto, a X-Men team movie without Professor X telling the X-Men what to do and the X-Men facing a new villain like Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister would be quite refreshing.

Completely agree with this post!:word:

They have so many options its insane. I agree they have played it safe but I think alot has to do with Brian Singer's personal preference in using Prof X and Magneto as main characters. And not so much what fans or the audience would prefer to see. Theres no reason say Cyclops cant be represented as the lead at some point, and I'm pretty sure he would be just as welcomed as Prof X or Logan have been.

i think singer regrets not using cyclops well, because when you read some of the ideas he had for X1 and 2 you can see he was trying but ended up not using half the ideas for him which was a big mistake

and some fans may not wanna see xavier and magneto take the spot light but casual audiences probably don't care and just going to watch another adventure with these characters they know

And I'm keeping Wolverine because unlike Professor X / Magneto, the X-Men like Storm, Rogue, Iceman, and villains could still do their own thing even if he's in the picture. They could just give Wolverine his own story-arc in the movie and separate him from the X-Men (like for missions) and the main antagonist.

there will be new villians but there will also be magneto in some role or another, even if its not a villian one, its the best of both worlds

well how many times have the films took Xavier away, in a coma, striker kidnapping him or killing him off so the "children" have to take charge

but he always come back at the end

they could have killed him off in X3 all together but they left it open ended and now he is back for DOFP

And yet all those films still dealt with "how will we get by without him" or "we must rescue him" that's not exactly screaming independence....

And I'm keeping Wolverine because unlike Professor X / Magneto, the X-Men like Storm, Rogue, Iceman, and villains could still do their own thing even if he's in the picture. They could just give Wolverine his own story-arc in the movie and separate him from the X-Men (like for missions) and the main antagonist.

so he will have his own spin off movies which if the wolverine does well there will be more and then he will have his own arc in future Xmen movies too?

so basicly you would rather get rid of Xavier and give wolverine more screen time because yno he needs it

i
and some fans may not wanna see xavier and magneto take the spot light but casual audiences probably don't care and just going to watch another adventure with these characters they know
I agree with that, doesn't mean there is a box office draw for Prof X over other characters taking the spotlight though. If it looks good people will show.

there will be new villians but there will also be magneto in some role or another, even if its not a villian one, its the best of both worlds

Like Magneto defeating the new villains/helping the X-men and completely outshining the X-Men like Storm, Iceman, Rogue. Well I don't want to see that again. So I hope they don't bring him back for the 8th X-Men movie.

Here's a crazy idea: what if Scott and Alex age slowly? I know they don't have this ability in the comics, but neither did Sebastian Shaw, and that was explained by his absorbing energy and storing it to make him younger. Scott and Alex absorb energy to fuel their powers, so they could have that extra ability as well.

Its not horrible. But they also may have to ignore the onset of puberty of the mutant gene for them as well. Unless Scott hasn't been aging and is bounced from foster home to foster home for 30 years. Which would be intriging none the less

so he will have his own spin off movies which if the wolverine does well there will be more and then he will have his own arc in future Xmen movies too?

so basicly you would rather get rid of Xavier and give wolverine more screen time because yno he needs it

I'm keeping Wolverine in the X-Men team movies because he's the most popular character in the series. I don't care if he already had a solo movie. Taking him out in the X-Men is like taking out Optimus Prime in a Transformers movie.

Xavier doesn't need anymore screentime either. And psylocklossus' point is that Wolverine can be in the movie in a reduced role for just action scenes and his own mini story arc without taking away from the rest of the characters and their stories whilst xavier would have the movie centered around him in some capacity which stops other characters from shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"