Days of Future Past 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier doesn't need anymore screentime either. And psylocklossus' point is that Wolverine can be in the movie in a reduced role for just action scenes and his own mini story arc without taking away from the rest of the characters and their stories whilst xavier would have the movie centered around him in some capacity which stops other characters from shining.

Yup! Thanks NanaT for clearing it up!:woot:

I agree with that, doesn't mean there is a box office draw for Prof X over other characters taking the spotlight though. If it looks good people will show.

it helps seeing a recognisable character though

after all look at the first class trailer, they showed a footage of Xaviers wheel chair before showing young eric and then magnetos helmet before showing young magneto

they could have depended of how the film looked but they wanted to go off the previous movies for recognition

no probs! psylocklossus :word:
hopefully gueststar will see where we're coming from.

Xavier doesn't need anymore screentime either. And psylocklossus' point is that Wolverine can be in the movie in a reduced role for just action scenes and his own mini story arc without taking away from the rest of the characters and their stories whilst xavier would have the movie centered around him in some capacity which stops other characters from shining.

so get rid of Xavier so wolverine can have his own spin off films and mini storys in the Xmen movies

im confused how more wolverine (soon to be 6 film) is better then Xavier getting more to do

so people think if they get rid of Xavier they will reduce wolverines role? really???? there is always going to be one or the other and apparently everyone would rather have more wolverine

i just... yeah... :wow:

when Xavier wasnt around in the previous trilogy wolverine always took the lead.. but ok then good luck people =)

so get rid of Xavier so wolverine can have his own spin off films and mini storys in the Xmen movies
No one saying here that they should give Wolverine more spin-off films. I personally don't want another solo Wolverine movie after his 2nd solo movie is released.

No one saying here that they should give Wolverine more spin-off films. I personally don't want another solo Wolverine movie after his 2nd solo movie is released.

there most likely will be more wolverine movies if this one does well which it stands a good chance of

but if it does well someone will pitch an idea for another wolverine story and it will be made, probably with omega red has the villian

Last edited:
While I think spideyboy_1111 makes a good point about the X-Men growing up sans Xavier, I don't really buy all this talk about him eating too much screen time. Save for First Class, the man is incapacitated or dead half the time.

While I think spideyboy111 makes a good point about the X-Men growing without Xavier, I don't really buy all this talk about him eating too much screen time. Save for First Class, the man is incapacitated or dead half the time in the original trilogy.

when you think about it if wolverine hadnt been in the films the other characters would have had more to do but oddly its Xavier and magneto thats holding these other characters back

personally i don't get it

I can see why people would want to move beyond the Xavier and Magneto dynamic, especially Magneto as the villain, but I don't think I ever walked out of X-Men, X2, or The Last Stand and thought, "Xavier is such a screen hog."

Famke Janssen is going to be on a CBC talk show next Tuesday the 16th in Toronto.. probably promoting her new show Hemlock Grove but also might be in Canada to film for DoFP? I e-mailed the studio to reserve tickets so hopefully I'll get to attend.

While I think spideyboy_1111 makes a good point about the X-Men growing up sans Xavier, I don't really buy all this talk about him eating too much screen time. Save for First Class, the man is incapacitated or dead half the time.

Aside from first class you're absolutely correct.... However, he's still the most developed x-men character next to Wolverine (which is ironic considering wolves is suppose to have a mysterious past that's never fully revealed lol) and magneto of course. And his presence is still heavily felt and focused on even when absent.

While xavier and magneto have a very complex relationship, at their roots up until about the last 15 years (Xavier especially more so than mags) was pretty one dimensional. Basically..... In X1 we learned just about everything we needed to know about Xaviers character and its sorta just been stuck in repeat and re-emphasizing his character over the proceeding films not truly adding that much new character development at all too him.

I think that's reason enough to let him sit by the wayside.... Hes as far as he ever needs to be developed. Its time to focus on others who are SEVERELY lacking in that department and unfortunately as long as we have magneto and xaiver that relationship will always put them as a focal point

when you think about it if wolverine hadnt been in the films the other characters would have had more to do but oddly its Xavier and magneto thats holding these other characters back

People seem more then satisfied with the amount of screen time and focus Magneto and Prof X have been given. I'm sure they will be the focus of DofP as well. Not saying thats a bad thing for the film especially given the last one was about them. Just that people may rather see other X-Men get that screen time and be explored like they were.

Famke Janssen is going to be on a CBC talk show next Tuesday the 16th in Toronto.. probably promoting her new show Hemlock Grove but also might be in Canada to film for DoFP? I e-mailed the studio to reserve tickets so hopefully I'll get to attend.

Holy Smokes!! Im like 2 hours away from Toronto...Is she really going to be in Toronto like...live? Like...OMG!! Famke!!! Oi! I doubt she'll talk about X-Men...but Oh man!!

BTW, I made this avvie a few mins ago! Just to show my love and support for Famke and James. :hrt: :cyclops:

Oh wolvie is just as bad.... But he's the xmen poster boy. Its sorta expected. Xavier is important but the xmen movies have essentially made him leader.... And they all followers. Which causes both storm and cyclops to never truly lead the team

Holy Smokes!! Im like 2 hours away from Toronto...Is she really going to be in Toronto like...live? Like...OMG!! Famke!!! Oi! I doubt she'll talk about X-Men...but Oh man!!

BTW, I made this avvie a few mins ago! Just to show my love and support for Famke and James. :hrt: :cyclops:

Yeah! E-mail [email protected] for tickets .. the fb post said you have to arrive at the CBC building lobby by 3:15 pm at 25 John Street.

I can see why people would want to move beyond the Xavier and Magneto dynamic, especially Magneto as the villain, but I don't think I ever walked out of X-Men, X2, or The Last Stand and thought, "Xavier is such a screen hog."

I've never thought that either, but i have thought the Xavier / Magneto relationship is too far forefront over the dynamics that should be developed amongst other xmen team members

Xavier and Magneto's relationship has been handled extremely well in X1, X2, and First Class. I've been really satisfied and happy that they got this dynamic perfect in three movies. What I want to see after five movies in the franchise are other relationships being handled as well. A whole franchise has been made where a lot of the X-men don't feel like a tight-knit family/team and a lot of character relationships haven't been developed at all.

Xavier and Magneto's relationship has been handled extremely well in X1, X2, and First Class. I've been really satisfied and happy that they got this dynamic perfect in three movies. What I want to see after five movies in the franchise are other relationships being handled as well. A whole franchise has been made where a lot of the X-men don't feel like a tight-knit family/team and a lot of character relationships haven't been developed at all.

:up:

Exactly relationships like Storm and Jean's close friendship, Wolverine and Kitty's relationship, peter nad kitty, wolverine and nightcrawler. I mean there are so many not touched on yet

Honestly, outside of Xavier and Magneto, most characters are only developed through their interactions with Wolverine. Jean, Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, and Iceman have all been characterized through their relationships with Wolverine, which is a huge problem. And these characters are really the core of the X-men, from a comic book point of view. We get thrown some characterization outside of Wolverine, but not nearly enough.

I've always been partial to the Rogue/Mystique/Nightcrawler stuff. I know it's very heavy on soap opera drama, but damn I love it.

X-Men Evaluation did an interesting take on that relationship.

That is just so perfect. This is how the first X-Men should have been like with these clearly defined roles for these characters.

question though, wouldn't general audiences wonder why suddenly cyclops is calling the shots not storm especially is she is shown as clearly subordinate to him. Remember GA won't see what's so special about him and may not understand why Storm is no longer clearly leading, they may see this as a demotion.

Thank you. :cool:

To be honest, and I'm probably insulting the GA here, but I honestly don't think they'll think about it that much. I mean, even as leader, it'll never be a case of Cyclops barking orders and everyone following, anyway. It's always going to be more balanced. Basically, all they had to do is show Scott as a good strategist, throw in some scenes of them as a team, discussing a plan, with all of them making points and comments. Then have Scott lead them out.

Plus, if Storm stayed in her headmistress role, it's a position of power for her. It elevates her above the other X-Men but not to the point where Scott doesn't get to shine at the same time.

...... That's movie continuity vs comic continuity. Its not the same thing....Do you really want a 20 year (at least) age gap between Scott and Alex and it being said they're brothers when Alex is old enough to be his father (yet doesn't look it) sorry that's very very lazy and a bigger mess of an already horribly messy movie continuity.

Id personally rather Alex just be Scott's father in the movie universe and call it a day..... The Alex and Scott relationship due to the age gap already wouldn't be the same as the books so there's no point trying to force it

Even with a big age gap, it's still possible for Alex and Scott to be brothers. I know a woman at work who is part of a large family where there is more than 30 years' difference between the youngest and oldest children.

The age difference depends how old Alex is supposed to be in First Class, how old Cyclops is supposed to be in the original trilogy and when the original trilogy takes place.

The original trilogy can't be way into the future because it began with a wartime scene set in 1944, in which Magneto was aged about 10 (I would guess).

The actor playing young Erik in X-Men (2000) was aged 12 when that scene was shot, and the actor playing young Erik in First Class was 15 when the scene was re-created for that movie (the same age as the actor who played young Xavier, whose age is definitively credited as 12). The character looked to be aged 10-14 at most.

I would say Magneto in the original trilogy was in his 60s and not any older (no way he could be in his 70s). If Magneto was 10 in 1944, then 50 years later (in 1994) he would be 60 - and 60 years later (in 2004) he would be 70. On that basis, the original trilogy likely takes place sometime between 1994 and 2004. You can see the Twin Towers in X1 and if you take that into account, the first film can't be later than 2001.

If we bear in mind Origins, a version of the 1979 Three-Mile Island incident takes place at the end of the movie and Wolverine has been on the road without a memory for 15 years, making it 1994. If we theorise that the Three-Mile Island incident had already taken place, making the location a prime spot for Styker to set up a base and go undetected, then the end of Origins could be, say, five years after 1979. Thus it would be in 1984 and X1 is then in 1999.

My brain is fried now so if someone can factor in Cyclops to all that, we can see where that leaves us.

I always assumed the OT took place in the very early 00's. It all seems to take place within a few months, anyway, so 01-03 or thereabouts is about right.

And I don't think we can really use the twin towers to date any film, really. Certainly not a film made pre-2001, when it was not intended as something to establish a year or date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"