X-Men - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's disappointing. I actually like the idea of Coipel and Mann rotating.

Ugh! I hate when Marvel does this. Why promote a big name artist to launch a new book only to have them leave after one arc? I was hoping he'd stay there at least a year

Marvel are d**kheads like that lately. The two things I hate about the company is the relentless onslaught of new #1's every 2 years and this crap.

What's strange about the whole thing too, is that that Woods said the whole reason they were delaying the title the way they did was so that they wouldn't need a fill in artist. I guess Coipel couldn't get it together or stepped down because he felt he could keep up the monthly schedule.

Hard to let them go when they draw so darn pretty. :p

There's plenty of guys out there that have good looking art that can get their stuff done faster.

Marvel are d**kheads like that lately. The two things I hate about the company is the relentless onslaught of new #1's every 2 years and this crap.
I hate that too. When was the last time Marvel let an issue get to #100 naturally? All tend to get cancelled/rebooted before that ever happens and we get stupid stuff like random issue #17 becoming #100 bc they want to count it as part of the old series numbering

Indeed. Am not sure it was necessary to re-number Uncanny X-Men (which had been going a while on old numbering..) twice in the space of about two years.

I understood why they did it after the Heroes Reborn debacle but it's gotten out of hand.

I didn't like that either, but I understood it. I'd rather they'd have treated Heroes Reborn like the Age of Apocalypse, like a hiatus and then return to regular numbering AT the number they left off.

I think they took the downward spiral starting with Spider-Man's relaunch. Then it just got ridiculous a few years later. I hate it. The fact that Astonishing X-Men is the longest running, uninterrupted title is absolutely stupid.

Astonishing isn't even that high, right? What is it, in it's 60's?

Yeah and honestly should have been cancelled like 40 issues ago when Whedon left

I like Phoenix Endsong....due to the storyline and the graphics, Warsong, not so much. its just weird.

I liked Endsong too, though I'm annoyed that Marvel completely ignored it and went ahead and made AvX.

I actually don't hate all the new #1s as much as you guys do. It almost makes sense to reboot a title when a radical change in direction happens. I'm ok with Fraction's Thor and Aaron's Thor being numbered differently, for example. But I'm still a lot newer to reading comics, so eventually it might get annoying, but I guess we'll see how Marvel handles its Now era after it gets a bit older.

You're a newer reader though, right? Past few years? I could be wrong on that, but for people who've been reading the books for 20 years or longer, it gets old. I appreciate longevity and creative teams whose run remains honored in the long runs of a title that was started by the greats of Marvel past. I mean, as sad as it is, who's really going to care about Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers 20 or 30 years from now? It took place in a throwaway title that was 3rd tier at the time and influenced little (pretty much just Hank's Wasp look). If it took place in THE one ongoing Avenger title, it'd be immortalized as a piece of the Avengers story that back issue readers could easily find. Not so much in how it was placed.

A friend of mine wanted to read Avengers a while ago and wanted to go to the shop to pick it up. Not being native to comics, I explained that there were 3 Avenger titles at the time (New, Dark, and Mighty). Then he went to find them and struggled finding the right Avenger titles in the back issue sections, grew frustrated at not knowing what volume was the current one, or which ones were important, and just left without asking for help.

If Marvel wants to make books new reader friendly, they shouldn't release and rerelease titles, and then come out with even more titles to the point where a new reader needs a manual to figure out how it all works. Wikipedia shouldn't be a requirement to understand comics.

Last edited:
You're a newer reader though, right? Past few years? I could be wrong on that, but for people who've been reading the books for 20 years or longer, it gets old. I appreciate longevity and creative teams whose run remains honored in the long runs of a title that was started by the greats of Marvel past. I mean, as sad as it is, who's really going to care about Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers 20 or 30 years from now? It took place in a throwaway title that was 3rd tier at the time and influenced little (pretty much just Hank's Wasp look). If it took place in THE one ongoing Avenger title, it'd be immortalized as a piece of the Avengers story that back issue readers could easily find. Not so much in how it was placed.

A friend of mine wanted to read Avengers a while ago and wanted to go to the shop to pick it up. Not being native to comics, I explained that there were 3 Avenger titles at the time (New, Dark, and Mighty). Then he went to find them and struggled finding the right Avenger titles in the back issue sections, grew frustrated at not knowing what volume was the current one, or which ones were important, and just left without asking for help.

If Marvel wants to make books new reader friendly, they shouldn't release and rerelease titles, and then come out with even more titles to the point where a new reader needs a manual to figure out how it all works. Wikipedia shouldn't be a requirement to understand comics.
Yeah I'm a newish reader, and totally expect to eventually agree with you. But I do think it makes sense in some cases. Like, for example, if Peter David left X-factor and someone new replaced him and changed the team and direction, I'd see no problem relaunching it as a number one. I get what you're saying, though. I guess it would make things more confusing for new readers, but since #1s sell way better than anything else I guess Marvel feels the opposite.

Yeah, relaunching is a B when it comes to tracking down a few back issues in an effort to catch up. Let's say you wanted to pick up Uncanny X-Men #1. You check the back issue section, and... oh dear. There's two different #1's, and they both look like they're not from the 1960's.

Way to relaunch a comic with new numbering twice in a two year period, Marvel.

That's because the guy that runs Marvel was an artist born out of the 90's and believes in all of that gimmicky crap.

Yeah I'm a newish reader, and totally expect to eventually agree with you. But I do think it makes sense in some cases. Like, for example, if Peter David left X-factor and someone new replaced him and changed the team and direction, I'd see no problem relaunching it as a number one. I get what you're saying, though. I guess it would make things more confusing for new readers, but since #1s sell way better than anything else I guess Marvel feels the opposite.
The situation you described almost feels like the exception in Marvel's case. When Marvel ended the original/changed-to government X-Factor and then brought it back in '04 as Madrox's mutant investigators, that's the acceptable scenario where you renumber a series cuz that book actually is different. But when they cancel the longest-running Uncanny X-Men and then next month "relaunch" it as Uncanny X-Men with the Regenesis banner because of its "new direction", then end the second volume a year later only to be relaunched AGAIN three months later is bs.

So the mystery female X-Man that appears in the last page?

Karima Shapandar, aka Omega Sentinel

SO happy to see her again, I liked her last run and didn't care for how they put her on the shelf, as it was, and really happy that someone like Wood wants to use her. Hope she really does become a team member again.

You know who I've missed since being shelved? Marrow. I LOVED what Kelly did with her in his run. Did they say she was depowered or died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"