Superman Returns You know what, the biggest problem still was Jon Peters...

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
... For wasting so much time and so much money going in all the wrong directions with Superman over the years. You can complain about Superman Returns all you like, it´s still probably the most faithful of all attempts to resurrect the character over the years. What about a Superman script with the same tone of Adam West´s Batman show? What about a Superman that doesn´t fly or even wears a costume, has polar bears guarding the FOS and Brainiac has a gay robot sidekick? What about a black goth Superman suit? Sean Penn as Superman, Nic Cage as Superman? Beyonce as Lois? Ashton Kutcher as Superman? A movie where Krypton didn´t explode, Superman is part of some crappy new age prophecy, there´s a fifteen minute BS "Superman is dead" part and Lex reveals to be a Kryptonian? With all that was wasted with so many false starts and wrong producing, directing and writing voices over the years, WB could have been more focused from the start and released something much better right in the beginning or even at the prime of the superhero movie craze, for a more reasonable cost, and now the new Supes franchise would have been a juggernaut 300m-plus one. Oh, and not being arrogant and played chicken with an already estabished and loved franchise too...

The biggest problem was PotC2, period. There's already a thread for this.

^ Agreed....Superman Returns was great...it just came out at the wrong time

I laughed and cried when I saw Jon Peters name in the credits at the begining

:(

:)

:down:

boywonder13 said:
I laughed and cried when I saw Jon Peters name in the credits at the begining

:(

:)

:down:

I almost set the whole theatre on fire...:mad:

...sigh...this is deflecting blame...

Matt said:
...sigh...this is deflecting blame...
No, this is putting blame where it belongs... Say whatever you want of SR, we got the best of what was in store, only we got it too many years and dollars later than we should. I have no doubt that if the exact same movie had been released two or three years ago, it would have had a giant opening and huge BO.

ultimatefan said:
No, this is putting blame where it belongs... Say whatever you want of SR, we got the best of what was in store, only we got it too many years and dollars later than we should. I have no doubt that if the exact same movie had been released two or three years ago, it would have had a giant opening and huge BO.

We still don't know what else was in store. There have been a lot of attempts at a Superman movie that have never surfaced to the net. I'm really curious about that William Wisher script that Oliver Stone wanted to direct.

Peters was merely a producer and while he threw a monkey wrench in the works plenty of times it has no bearing on this particular film, guys like Alan Horn probably share as much blame if not more, for not only letting this thing fester but also for not keeping a tighter leash on Singer. Though in the end, this is really Singer, Harris, and Dougherty's debacle.

Alonsovich, you heard of the Keith Giffen Superman vs. Lobo treatment he wrote, it was supossedly pretty good..

hopefully all the Superman 5 crap will be relased on the internet or get book into a book, because it could make a really good book

:up:

Alonsovich said:
We still don't know what else was in store. There have been a lot of attempts at a Superman movie that have never surfaced to the net. I'm really curious about that William Wisher script that Oliver Stone wanted to direct.

every other scene wouldve been in slo mo.... :)

boywonder13 said:
I did...

i'm writing from the jail's interent cafe

;)

You're obviously telling lies... no one in this world gets a trial with jail sentence that fast...:o

The Incredible Hulk said:
every other scene wouldve been in slo mo.... :)

I refuse to believe that. We're speaking of Oliver Stone... he NEVER makes those things. It would've been very controversial for sure, but at least it would've been TRULY original with him at the helm...:)

Alonsovich said:
You're obviously telling lies... no one in this world gets a trial with jail sentence that fast...:o

It's a long story, I was at this bar and I got drunk and me and Singer "hooked" up if you know what I mean, I'm not gay, I was drunk. So yah I went to his house knocked him out and watched the completed movie like a month ago. :eek:

;)

boywonder13 said:
Alonsovich, you heard of the Keith Giffen Superman vs. Lobo treatment he wrote, it was supossedly pretty good..

hopefully all the Superman 5 crap will be relased on the internet or get book into a book, because it could make a really good book

:up:

See... I didn't know about that one. And we still never even got a description of that one, neither the Wisher or the Attanasio scripts. For example the Alex Ford script with re-writes would've been a great Superman film.

Alonsovich said:
Yeah, but well, as far as I know the Kevin Smith script could have been very good, too. As long as we had Peters imposing his giant spiders and gay robot sidekicks and whatnot, hopes weren´t particularly good... Thank God he finally recognized his take was wrong, too bad it took too long...

ultimatefan said:
Yeah, but well, as far as I know the Kevin Smith script could have been very good, too. As long as we had Peters imposing his giant spiders and gay robot sidekicks and whatnot, hopes weren´t particularly good... Thank God he finally recognized his take was wrong, too bad it took too long...

I would blame it on WB actually. Jon should've already been fired by the studio in 1998 after the Superman Lives fiasco. The Burton/Gilroy script was already like the 10th script WB greenlit. No studio would've been all that time with the same producer... and much less with the quantity of power Peters had. WB are to blame for not firing/replacing him.

The only source we have on all of that is Kevin Smith...don't you think he may be a bit biased?I still don't entirely buy Smith's story. Not that I am defending Peters...but I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Matt said:
The only source we have on all of that is Kevin Smith...don't you think he may be a bit biased?I still don't entirely buy Smith's story. Not that I am defending Peters...but I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Jon Peters never denied the story and he himself has said on the Look, up in the sky! documentary that his take on the character was wrong.

Alonsovich said:
I would blame it on WB actually. Jon should've already been fired by the studio in 1998 after the Superman Lives fiasco. The Burton/Gilroy script was already like the 10th script WB greenlit. No studio would've been all that time with the same producer... and much less with the quantity of power Peters had. WB are to blame for not firing/replacing him.
I think much of his clout came from being a big time producer on Batman. Then again it´s been said he was againg the dark gothic noirish Burton take that became the movie´s signature. How come Batman never had to fight a giant spider, I´ll never know...

Matt said:

Nah, we also have Tim Burton and Brett Ratner speaking s**t about him Matt. If this guy hadn't been on board we would've had a good Superman movie in 1997. He has a lot of the blame for this. WB has the biggest one for trusting him.

Alonsovich said:

If Peters was fired in the 90s we would have had a Superman movie in the 90s. We were supposed to have one in 1993, but the WB got the rights back to Superman :down and put Peters on. double :down :down .

But I don't think we would have had a superman movie that we wanted because it would have been reflected of the comics of the 90s which not all of them were so great. The comic industry was crap also, but if a Superman movie came otu in the 90s it would have made alot of money....more the Returns proably.

ultimatefan said:
I think much of his clout came from being a big time producer on Batman. Then again it´s been said he was againg the dark gothic noirish Burton take that became the movie´s signature. How come Batman never had to fight a giant spider, I´ll never know...

He wanted Bill Murray as Batman... what else he wanted is a mystery...

Good points, but you have to remember that WB is a corporation. As such, they have intelligent minds at work behind their decisions. That's not to say they don't make frivolous decisions but there's definitely a lot more behind the $50 million spent on aborted projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"