Your military opinion?

jaguarr said:
Honestly, I blame the neo-cons for that. They infected the cultural rhetoric with the poisonous idea that not supporting the wars in the Middle East was the equivalent of not supporting the troops. It's completely ridiculous but the number of people that bought into that particular bit of snake oil is alarming.

jag

I think there's more to it than that though. I mean, some of the people who seemed to most accept it are those who are (and have been all along) most opposed the war. Rather than denying what neo-cons were saying and showing them to be wrong, they bought into it as well. That says to me there's something more going on.

I think we're still dealing with issues that go back to Viet Nam. I mean, a lot of the people in power today are men that served then and also people who were anti-war protesters who made that same leap on their own (i.e. you were bad if you were in the military, deserved to be shunned/spit on, etc. because you were in service of the administration - and these were men who didn't even necessarily choose to go, but were drafted).

I think there's still a strain of the idea that anyone who chooses to go into the military is a 'jack-booted thug' or just plain stupid (basically, the idea that serving in the media is a 'considerably-less-than-noble' persuit) remaining in some pockets of the far left that has been passed down to some college-aged kids.

lazur said:
Bah, option #7 is the all-inclusive pat on the back to military people, close family or otherwise :p.

I take issue with the phrase "courageous for serving your country". :oldrazz:

Daisy said:
I think there's more to it than that though. I mean, some of the people who seemed to most accept it are those who are (and have been all along) most opposed the war. Rather than denying what neo-cons were saying and showing them to be wrong, they bought into it as well. That says to me there's something more going on.

I think we're still dealing with issues that go back to Viet Nam. I mean, a lot of the people in power today are men that served then and also people who were anti-war protesters who made that same leap on their own (i.e. you were bad if you were in the military, deserved to be shunned/spit on, etc. because you were in service of the administration - and these were men who didn't even necessarily choose to go, but were drafted).

I think there's still a strain of the idea that anyone who chooses to go into the military is a 'jack-booted thug' or just plain stupid (basically, the idea that serving in the media is a 'considerably-less-than-noble' persuit) remaining in some pockets of the far left that has been passed down to some college-aged kids.

I tend to think that all the things you just raised are things that the people putting the "if you're against the war you're against the troops" spin on the issue are fully aware of and have tried to use in their attempts to manipulate the rhetoric around the issue. Spun correctly, all those things can be used to garner support for the ideological impact they're looking for.

jag

Daisy said:
I take issue with the phrase "courageous for serving your country". :oldrazz:

Well, when SHH adds the functionality that allows polls to be edited by the poster, I'll be sure and go back and change it. Until then, guess you're outta luck :(.

I haven't served, mainly for the fact that I physically cannot. But my hat is off to those who do. My cousin is the Marines, and one of my best friends is in the Air Force. God be with them always, and I'm pulling for them always.

It works as rhetoric to falsely present that image (i.e. if someone says they don't support the war, they're also saying they don't support the troops). What it doesn't work for, though is explaining people (mostly on the left [neo-libs?]) actually holding this viewpoint... which there are.

It's very hard to blame neo-cons for 'making' them think this way... especially since it's been a viewpoint that's been around for a long time.

lazur said:
Well, when SHH adds the functionality that allows polls to be edited by the poster, I'll be sure and go back and change it. Until then, guess you're outta luck :(.

Well, not really. ;)

Daisy said:
Hey lazur

Where's the "I haven't been in the military, but a close family member/friend or significant other is/was, and I'm proud of them for their service." option?

:)
That should definitely be an option. :up:

My Dad was in the military and so is my brother and I have many friends who are either active duty, reservists or former military.

Daisy said:
It works as rhetoric to falsely present that image (i.e. if someone says they don't support the war, they're also saying they don't support the troops). What it doesn't work for, though is explaining people (mostly on the left [neo-libs?]) actually holding this viewpoint... which there are.

It's very hard to blame neo-cons for 'making' them think this way... especially since it's been a viewpoint that's been around for a long time.

I never said that the neo-cons MADE anyone think that way. I just said they've manipulated the rhetoric to promote that mindset. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who will believe whatever the people in charge tell them or what they hear on "news" programs that are helping with promoting such rhetoric.

jag

Well I see Lazur is proving his SHH is anti-military stance.....

I have never been in the military,and i have no good or bad feelings for those who do.But the reasons for them being there can be aruged with.

I'd never willingly sign up, but if it's what you wanna do...go for it. I got a buddy in the marines though and I wish he was home.

Darthphere said:
Well I see Lazur is proving his SHH is anti-military stance.....

I was man enough to create a poll on the subject and admit I'm wrong if it turns out I am, so why don't you put a sock in it already and quit being a jerk.

I don't support the war, or any war, but I respect those who go off to fight in war. I'd never join myself, and I've actually tried to dissuade a friend from joining the Army. He did anyway, has told me he regrets it, and gets out in nine months. Currently, though, he's in Iraq, and I'm both proud of him and miss him, and I worry daily.

There's nothing wrong with joining the military to defend your country it's a honourable job, but not everyone is suitable for it especially people who love personal freedom too much and who don't like to take orders from others. And yeah being a Officer is 10 times beter than Enlisted.

The vast majority of everyone thinks the Military sucks as a job. If this wasnt the case we would all be in the military. Even in times of peace the military is treated as a last resort for most of the people who join it. Most people who join come no where near retirement. Most people who join get through the experience by concentrating on what will happen when it is over. The military can offer a very successful rich life, but it is hard to get at this. I truly feel that my success is due in part to the time, and experiences I had in the military. Also, it is completly possible to say I support the troops, but not the job they are currently doing. We do that every day with other groups and occupations, when we agree with the effort, but not the result.

I've never been in the military, and certainly don't plan on it either, but those who join can do whatever they please. The only thing that discourages me about joining are the recruiters who try and talk young kids into the military just so they can get more money into their paycheck. I just think it's stupid and you could be talking people into making the biggest mistake of their lives.

But for the people who want to join and willingly go, huge props.

lazur said:
I was man enough to create a poll on the subject and admit I'm wrong if it turns out I am, so why don't you put a sock in it already and quit being a jerk.

Lead by example Lazur.

I went with option 1. I mean, being in the military doesn't automatically make you a saint. People seem to have the opinion that people in the military are infallible. Like any other job there are good eggs and bad eggs.

I spent three years in the Army. I liked it a lot, but it was never anything I wanted for a career. I'm glad I'm out now, but I'd never trade the three years I did spend there for anything in the world.

I was this close to joining the Coast Guard. Out of college and no real job prospects I would have been able to enter the Academy as an Officer because I had a degree, and go into a shorter form of Boot Camp, however a nice job prospect made decide against going into the Service and it's not really a decision I regret because I enjoy where I am right now.

Matt said:
I went with option 1. I mean, being in the military doesn't automatically make you a saint. People seem to have the opinion that people in the military are infallible. Like any other job there are good eggs and bad eggs.

The unfortunate part of that is that we have good eggs with guns and bad eggs with guns.....See it's like any other job but with deadly weapons.

SpideyInATree said:
The only thing that discourages me about joining are the recruiters who try and talk young kids into the military just so they can get more money into their paycheck. I just think it's stupid and you could be talking people into making the biggest mistake of their lives.

Recruiting duty is usually not a choice and it certainly puts no extra money in the pockets of recruiters. In order to stay in the military (Marines, anyway...) you have to get promoted and stay competitive with other Marines. The higher in rank you go, the harder it is to stay in.

So most of the time (I'm sure there are limited exceptions), in order to achieve a rank of E-6 or E-7 (not sure about officers), you have to either decide on a "B-Billet" or have it decided for you. This is usually either Recruiting Duty, or Drill Instructor Duty.

If you are chosen to be a recruiter, it is a duty station of 3 years, and you MUST meet a quota, or you face a black mark on your records which can prohibit you from being eligible for further promotion and force you, in time, out of the service. THIS is the main reason why recruiters go to almost any lengths to recruit kids... their performance positively or negatively affects their future career. And most Marines that stay in for at least 10 years WANT to finish the last ten... it's a gaurunteed retirement, medical benifits, and paycheck for the rest of your life at ONLY 38 years old! Recruiters have to go to a Recruiting School for a few months to LEARN to be salesmen... I know, it sound funky, but there's more to the military than killing bad guys. It's still a business, and the business will go under without a product that sells. That's just the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"