Your opinion on public displays of affection (PDAs)

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
OK, so I was chillin' out in my room with my roomies and a couple friends, and things started getting awkward when my room mate "John" started kissing his girlfriend "Amy" on the neck. I knew my friend "Stacy" who is close friends with "John" (and was a little too close to him at one point) was getting mad because she always complains about John and Amy whenever they're not around. Stacy admits that she is somewhat jealous even though she is engaged to someone else, so when she complained as soon as John and Amy left the room I was not surprised, however I felt a little uncomfortable about how frisky they were getting in front of everyone, and I could tell my other room mate and friends were uncomfortable as well, since they looked like they were practically about to make out.

John's girlfriend is very pretty, so I can certainly understand why he'd be all over her, but I feel like he owed it to the other people in the room to have at least a minimal amount of self control, especially since he knows that Stacy gets kind of catty whenever he's with Amy. Most other I know closely show restraint when other people are around, whether its my other room mate, friends, brothers, or parents and the most they ever do with their SO in front of other people is hold hands or kiss as a greeting / farewell.

Where do you stand on public displays of affection? Is it something you'd rather have none of, or do you feel like people should feel free to make out in front of their houseguests, on park benches, in restaurant booths, etc? Do you think it's rude, or do you think society has a stick up its butt? Where do you think the line between acceptable and non-acceptable PDAs should be drawn?

I don't think there's anything wrong with holding hands or simple kisses, but kissing on the neck, or full-on making out, etc., is too much to do in public.

It's a bit insecure to scream "I'M IN AN RELATIONSHIP AND MOST LIKELY HAVE AN ACTIVE SEX LIFE!!! LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!".

I don't really care, people do worse stuff in public.

When I dated this girl years ago, the first time we kissed was in a very public setting, we were both drunk, and it was after a gig our band had done, so it was in a crowded pub, but it did not feel like anyone was watching, everyone else had their own stuff going on, the place was mobbed.
But, y'know, we were also drunk and oblivious.lol

But after that, and this was the first girl i ever dated regularly, I found i always instigated it in a private place. When we met the second time at a gig, i took her to the most private place i could think of.
And on our first official date, the first time we kissed was in an empty bar, and i instigated the kiss once the barman had bogged off into the back.
Same with after going to the pictures, i would wait until the street was deserted before instigating a kiss.
To me, that stuff is private, that is just the way i rock and roll, lol.

I'm against it.

Lately, there's been 2 relationships among friends of mine that are of the "All over each other every second of every day" phase. Stuff gets annoying. If you wanna hold hands, cool. And I actually wish I would've voted for the "Holding hands with the occasional kiss" option. Nothing wrong with that. But I get tired of the "Sex with your clothes on" routine.

I think public affection is a very dangerous act. What if some random person gets all sex crazed/****** strong and beings to join in forcefully?

I don't think there's anything wrong with holding hands or simple kisses, but kissing on the neck, or full-on making out, etc., is too much to do in public.

My thoughts exactly.

Go figure. :oldrazz:

I use to have two friends who were dating that were always up on each other. It got old really fast.

I'd go with holding hands and occasionally kissing. However, my first kiss with my girlfriend was on a crowded street and there was a little bit of making out there. Since then we mostly keep it to holding hands and quick pecks.

I think it's location specific. I may or may not have had sex on a park. And I may or may not have had sex in an after party which was in some huge grounds. However I'd obviously never consider having sex in the town centre for example and if the park was crowded or there wasn't a quiet spot with no one around at the party, of course I wouldn't have had sex there. Making out is slightly different, I'd make out in a crowded party or park in front of everyone. However if it was just four people, maybe a couple of my friends and my girlfriend I'd never full on makeout with her in front of them, that'd be wrong. However kisses and holding hands, I never see anything wrong with that.

As for me personally, I'm not too shy about those things, and I'm honestly not going to give much deference to the setting if the mood strikes. The only reason(s) I'd have to be discrete, or not do it at all, would be if I felt someone might show up and arrest me for it. On the other hand if I thought I could get away with it damn straight I'd be down for whatever. I will say though having sex in front of a captive audience isn't really something that interests me, especially with video cameras on every cell phone.

It's a bit insecure to scream "I'M IN AN RELATIONSHIP AND MOST LIKELY HAVE AN ACTIVE SEX LIFE!!! LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!".
:whatever: Yeah, cause that's why I make out in public.
I don't really care, people do worse stuff in public.
Yeah, basically.

Is this "how far will you go in public?" or "do others make you uncomfortable when they do things in public?", because those are definitely two very different questions.

The thing I like about making out in public is it's so not me. I'm pretty aggressive really, and I definitely try to make out as epically as possible (lol). I'm good at it though, really good at making out. Somewhere, someone has video of me:woot:. I definitely silently chuckle at that. Usually though I'm not trying to make anything happen publically, but I won't pass up a chance to make a move either. I've never put much thought into how far I'd go, I think I'd probably go as far as I could...of course then I might have some jail cell mate who shared my enthusiasm haha:oldrazz:

Holding hands is okay. Public kissing is a no-no in my book, but I say this mostly cause I've never been kissed. Then again kissing is probably nasty, just spit and germs really. Married couple kissing in public is okay though.

Making out. NO. Keep it private.
But if you are cuddling in public. that's cool. We do that.

I don't mind a little kissing here or there, but it's awkward when some people are taking it a bit too far.

Also, Timstuff. That girl you know "Stacy", you should tell her to shut the **** up and get over it, in regards to "John" and "Amy". I can't stand people like that.

Holding hands and occasional kissing is ok. Full on making out is not good.

It's my eyes, and I could easily turn them away if I see something I don't like. If people want to kiss and make out in public that's their business. If I don't like it I'll just look at something else. It isn't that hard. People ***** and whine too much about things they don't have to look at. I propose a swift falcon punch to the nuts or vagina if you complain about something you can easily look away from.

It's my eyes, and I could easily turn them away if I see something I don't like. If people want to kiss and make out in public that's their business. If I don't like it I'll just look at something else. It isn't that hard. People ***** and whine too much about things they don't have to look at. I propose a swift falcon punch to the nuts or vagina if you complain about something you can easily look away from.
THANK YOU

:doh: I can't believe some of the comments I'm reading. I can completely understand if someone is making out in your place of residence (because you make the rules there), or if it's some eight year old's Chucky Cheese party. I don't really understand being offended, and I certainly don't understand feeling awkward, especially if you can walk away from it. If you're doing something against the rules of the establishment you are in, that's one thing, but if people are just getting ******** cause they see you, that's their problem. People being affectionate doesn't really freak me out, nor does it freak me out if people see me. If the mood strikes me I'll go for it, regardless of who is around, and if I want a little privacy, I'll go get it.

I'm OK with people constantly kissing and caressing each other in public.

Well there's public and then there's hanging out with a small group of friends in a house. Yeah I can look away/ignore someone if I'm walking down the street. But if your in a small group and two people are just laying it on each other, that's a bit harder to work around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"