Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon | Netflix

Yeah but Rebel Moon is for grown-ups.
H0wnOiU.gif

It's possible to like both. More sci fi we get the better for me.

I disagree with him in saying it "always has been". Audiences were generally positive about Dawn of the Dead and 300, maybe a little lukewarm about Watchmen and Man of Steel. Afterwards was when it really started to go south.

Back in December Snyder was averaging 51% among critics. He did start out better but was never that high though compared to some others (He peaked at 76% with DotD).

I disagree with him in saying it "always has been". Audiences were generally positive about Dawn of the Dead and 300, maybe a little lukewarm about Watchmen and Man of Steel. Afterwards was when it really started to go south.
It's interesting to note that in terms of Metacritic reviews he hasn't made a single film considered good. He only made two movies that are not considered mixed and they are negative.

It just occurred to me while watching Damsel (Larry Fong is the cinematographer) that the reason why Rebel Moon looks so sh***y is that he doesn't have his long time cinematographer Larry Fong or even Fabian Wagner who did Justice League. Zack Snyder made himself the cinematographer and it shows.

Last edited:
Who would’ve thought the guy being carried entirely by his cinematographers, script writers and adapted works is, in fact, not the visionary auteur his zealots make him out to be, but just another wannabe amateur visualist who’s interest and mindset never grew beyond the kid who read Heavy Metal magazine just because it had sex and violence in it.

It just occurred to me while watching Damsel (Larry Fong is the cinematographer) that the reason why Rebel Moon looks so sh***y is that he doesn't have his long time cinematographer Larry Fong or even Fabian Wagner who did Justice League. Zack Snyder made himself the cinematographer and it shows.
Its the same with Army of the Dead, he was the cinematographer for that as well.

I didn’t think a whole lot of Part 1. But I’m willing to retroactively reevaluate if Part 2 proves more satisfying and ties things together. In terms of the cinematography… I thought it was serviceable. Certainly not distractingly bad. Put another way: a better cinematographer wouldn't materially improve Rebel Moon. ;)

I didn’t think a whole lot of Part 1. But I’m willing to retroactively reevaluate if Part 2 proves more satisfying and ties things together. In terms of the cinematography… I thought it was serviceable. Certainly not distractingly bad. Put another way: a better cinematographer wouldn't materially improve Rebel Moon. ;)
Yeah but the thing is Snyder movies are infamous for showcasing style over substance and for being at least visually appealing. So it's funny that they don't seem to have even that now.

And its a great irony too cause for the first decade plus of his career, even detractors complimented his eye. The eye of it all goes beyond the technical, but it's just kinda funny that once he actually became the literal eye of his films, they've looked worse and worse.

Maybe he should get off the sci-fi, fantasy train? Tap a competent writer. Get from behind the lens. Reduce your budget. Don't try and make some universe. A normal crime thriller penned by a Sheridan or someone like him may be up his alley.

And its a great irony too cause for the first decade plus of his career, even detractors complimented his eye. The eye of it all goes beyond the technical, but it's just kinda funny that once he actually became the literal eye of his films, they've looked worse and worse.

Maybe he should get off the sci-fi, fantasy train? Tap a competent writer. Get from behind the lens. Reduce your budget. Don't try and make some universe. A normal crime thriller penned by a Sheridan or someone like him may be up his alley.

To be fair to Snyder, he knows what cameras and lenses one should use to make a traditional Hollywood-looking movie. He has simply decided to experiment with weird ass lenses and it's not paying off. You can read more about it here: Zack Snyder built a whole new camera lens to give Netflix’s Rebel Moon a 'distorted retro' look
Snyder didn't make Rebel Moon look like that by accident, he went out of his way to make it look like it does.

As for writing, he had an actual writing partner for the film. The problem is that it was his long-time friend Kurt Johnstad who has almost no writing credits under his belt except for 300 and that godawful sequel. And then they brought in Shay Hatten, the writer of the two Army of the Dead films and pretty much nothing else (he also has co-writer credits on John Wick 3 & 4). You see this a lot in Hollywood. Instead of working with competent people, filmmakers (and actors) choose to hire their friends instead.

To be fair to Snyder, he knows what cameras and lenses one should use to make a traditional Hollywood-looking movie. He has simply decided to experiment with weird ass lenses and it's not paying off. You can read more about it here: Zack Snyder built a whole new camera lens to give Netflix’s Rebel Moon a 'distorted retro' look
Snyder didn't make Rebel Moon look like that by accident, he went out of his way to make it look like it does.

As for writing, he had an actual writing partner for the film. The problem is that it was his long-time friend Kurt Johnstad who has almost no writing credits under his belt except for 300 and that godawful sequel. And then they brought in Shay Hatten, the writer of the two Army of the Dead films and pretty much nothing else (he also has co-writer credits on John Wick 3 & 4). You see this a lot in Hollywood. Instead of working with competent people, filmmakers (and actors) choose to hire their friends instead.

Yeah, I'm aware of the lens situation. He used it for Army of the Dead as well. I kinda reduced it to make a point. He certainly has technical abilities, he knows how to shoot certain scenes and situations. But this visual experiment didn't work out the first time imo, most seem to feel the same, yet he went back for seconds and soon thirds. And both will have leftovers.

I think he just needs to tone all the experimentation down and try to make a meat and potatoes, straightforward movie (which I think he kinda wanted with Rebel Moon considering how simple the story is, but all the superfluousness of the lore got in his way.) He has the power and the ability to do that. Directorially, he's comptent visually, he's just not a well rounded storyteller.

The writing situation seems to stem from him wanting ultimate control, which is fine, I guess, but it just doesn't seem to work well for him. He needs an entirely seperate outside entity to craft plot and characters. If he needs to be there at the genesis of it, help with the barebones of the story then back away.

Yeah, I'm aware of the lens situation. He used it for Army of the Dead as well. I kinda reduced it to make a point. He certainly has technical abilities, he knows how to shoot certain scenes and situations. But this visual experiment didn't work out the first time imo, most seem to feel the same, yet he went back for seconds and soon thirds. And both will have leftovers.

I think he just needs to tone all the experimentation down and try to make a meat and potatoes, straightforward movie (which I think he kinda wanted with Rebel Moon considering how simple the story is, but all the superfluousness of the lore got in his way.) He has the power and the ability to do that. Directorially, he's comptent visually, he's just not a well rounded storyteller.

The writing situation seems to stem from him wanting ultimate control, which is fine, I guess, but it just doesn't seem to work well for him. He needs an entirely seperate outside entity to craft plot and characters. If he needs to be there at the genesis of it, help with the barebones of the story then back away.

I think the Justice League experience had the opposite effect on him.

Basically, he's trying to micromanage the whole thing now so noone else can step in and replace him midway through.

I think the Justice League experience had the opposite effect on him.

Basically, he's trying to micromanage the whole thing now so noone else can step in and replace him midway through.

His name is on the poster four times, but not the actors once.

Only thing missing is to cast himself as lead actor in his next endeavor. Then he can put his face on the poster.

His name is on the poster four times, but not the actors once.

Only thing missing is to cast himself as lead actor in his next endeavor. Then he can put his face on the poster.

Not unheard of. Chloe Zhao's name is on the Eternals poster four times. Depends entirely on how many roles the director had.

Sigh. I guess I’ll have to watch this just so that the jokes in the inevitable Pitch Meeting land.

I will say that from a strictly visual standpoint it looks more appealing than Part One.

definitely looks better than the part one.

will watch this when i have time, but i'm in no rush. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"