1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Zack Snyder Directing Justice League (The Snyder Cut Edition) - Part 2

Discussion in 'Justice League' started by flickchick85, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Superchan Registered

Have to disagree. I don't remember him being ok with Ben Mendelson (Variety writer) when he [Meddelson] commented on (and criticized) the leaked trailer of the Snyder cut. Also the very fact that he egged on the psychotic portion of his fandom when ever they attacked anyone who criticized or dared to question Snyder's "genius" tells me that Snyder is an egomaniac who takes criticism about as well as most people....that is to say he doesn't take any criticism (constructive or otherwise) AT ALL.

Wouldn't blame anyone for making such speculation but judging from the fact that Whedon's JL did better in multipliers (2.4 vs a laughable 1.98) and in critical rating (39% vs 29%) than Snyder's BvS I would say it's doubtful that Snyder's JL, which would not have been anywhere near the 4 hr run time, would've done any better than Whedon's.
    It also should be remembered that JL opened to less than a 100 million dollars, which was, is and will always be SHOCKING and all that thanks (or no thanks) to Snyder and how his BvS alienated the majority of the general public. Most of the scenes in the trailers where from the Snyder cut, which told the general public that this movie is directed by the same guy who gave you the crap fest that is BvS, hence most people simply avoided the movie when it opened.

Filmfreak likes this.
  2. Filmfreak Registered

Exactly. Some people think that the theatrical Justice League flopped because WB messed up with Snyder's vision but it was exactly that vision that didn't resonate with most people and kept them away from the 2017 movie. The vast majority of the audience had no idea about all the behind the scenes drama. It was divisive after divisive DCEU films that led to them not caring about that universe anymore.

flickchick85, Superchan and J.Drangal like this.
  3. obredaan Registered

WB only spent around $25M on the Whedon reshoots which would've been the same amount that Snyder would be given had he returned for the reshoots as initially planned.

4. Dr. From parts unknown

As mentioned… we’re all just musing about hypotheticals and what-ifs. That’s okay. Indeed, it’s a pretty common activity in these parts. :cwink: And in my hypothetical, I’m asking what-if WB had just let Snyder finish his theatrical cut? In which case, there’d be no additional expense involved with shooting/re-shooting Whedon’s new scenes (even if directed by Snyder) or paying Whedon his (likely) substantial remuneration because… there’d be no Whedon. (As we now know, zero Whedon footage was used in ZSJL. So there was sufficient original material available to make a finished film.) Another example: Holkenborg was paid to write the music score. Then Holkenborg was fired. Then, the (no doubt) more expensive Elfman was hired. Etc., etc. Bottom line, the Snyder-to-Whedon “course correction” didn’t come cheap.

As to whether a hypothetical Snyder theatrical cut would have done bigger box office than the Whedon version… I’m actually more skeptical about that. I think the good will (positive reviews, etc.) that ZSJL earned was due, at least in part, to the passage of time — during which the “mythic” status of a possible Snyder Cut grew. But had that cut (or some version of it) been released back in 2017, I’m not sure that the BO result would have been any different. As @Superchan said, the taint of BvS (just 18 months earlier) would probably have affected the opening weekend of any sequel. OTOH… a better movie might have had better word-of-mouth and better “legs.” But, again, this is all just speculation.

One thing we might all agree on: ZSJL had the good luck of timing. Under the new/current WB-D regime, ZSJL — almost certainly — wouldn’t happen.

obredaan likes this.
  5. Filmfreak Registered

Obviously we don't know how well his hypothetical theatrical cut would have been received, since Snyder wouldn't have released the 4-hour cut that we ended up having. Though, judging by his history in general and even more so of his films with "compromised visions", I wouldn't expect it to have been received much better than what we had in 2017.

Truthfully even the Snyder cut didn't blow most critics away like some people are making it out to be. Yes, it has a 71% in Rotten Tomatoes but top critics gave it a 52% and it only has a 6.7 average rating. Also another 54/100 in Metacritic.

So if we were to believe that the movie that would have been would have similar ratings, it honestly seems highly unlikely it would have been enough to turn people's perception upside down after the mixed to bad reviews BvS had. To be able to gain people's trust again and to counterbalance all the negativity you need far better reception than that.

And honestly I feel like critics and audience were far more lenient to Snyder's Justice League because it was a different cut of a preexisting movie, rather than an actual movie itself. I'm sure it played out to its advantage and things would have been much different if it was a film that got released in cinemas without people feeling the need to root for a director's lost vision and the poor way he was treated by a studio at a tragic moment in his life.