The Dark Knight Rises Zack Snynder interested in The Dark Knight Returns

I think this would fail, because most people can't understand the concept of different franchises, or interpretations of the same character. They'll go in expecting a Batman movie along the lines of the Batman movies they enjoyed in the past, and it'll be completely different, and they'll be completely turned off.

I think it could work. I don't get this logic that fans and audiences could accept two different "Batmans" at the same time. It's been done before in films, namely with Terminator, Aliens/Predators, The Sum of All Fears and James Bond

I think TDKR could easily work on screen. However, I'd let Frank Miller do it himself if we are going to do the whole Snyder on 300 way of filming.

^ what's so easy about it?

people are ignoring the obvious here :o

It is easy if you are not trying to tie this into an established Batman franchise. TDKR is its own entity, and won't work as a franchise film. This I will give people.

But as far as big screen adaptation, I think it can easily be done. People don't give audiences enough credit.

Ooh I really dislike Zack Snyder. He is very overrated. But I did have my doubts about the Watchmen until the trailer came out and it pleasantly surprised me. I'm not fully convinced yet though.. Why not have Frank Miller himself direct The Dark Knight Returns?

Yeah just give it to Miller to do...I'd really love to see him direct that.

No way in bad place.

BB and TDK showed us that there is a such thing as a Batman Film.

This bum makes movies, horrible movies, and not real ones anyway. No way in bad place.

It is easy if you are not trying to tie this into an established Batman franchise. TDKR is its own entity, and won't work as a franchise film. This I will give people.

But as far as big screen adaptation, I think it can easily be done. People don't give audiences enough credit.

It's a "future Batman".....set in the Cold War. That's gonna be confusing for anyone. But remove the period setting and it's no longer DKR, it's only DKR influenced. This opens the story up to a much wider scope so you may as well stop trying to film DKR and just do your own thing.

I would actually really like to see this after Nolan finishes a third film. Honestly, I'm a little terrified at the prospect of another director taking over the franchise after Nolan leaves, mostly because I just don't want anyone to ruin what Nolan already did by making a somewhat direct sequel to his films. This would be a good move on WB's part, because it would allow them to continue making Batman movies after Nolan leaves, but would be such a radical departure from his films that noone would possibly mistake it as being a continuation of what he did. That way it would stand on it's own, and be judged, for better or for worse, on it's own merits instead of being compared to the Nolan films. That was the problem with the last franchise. While there was obviously a difference in styles between films, there was still enough similarities to lead people to believe they were still a part of the same continuity.

It's a "future Batman".....set in the Cold War. That's gonna be confusing for anyone. But remove the period setting and it's no longer DKR, it's only DKR influenced. This opens the story up to a much wider scope so you may as well stop trying to film DKR and just do your own thing.

I don't think you are giving audiences enough credit. By that logic Watchmen wouldn't work as a direct adaption. Of course we'll have to wait and see if that is the case or not. I mean, I'm not a huge Zack Snyder fan, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to this if Watchmen turns out to be pretty good. In my opinion this is really the only logical way to follow up the Nolan films because it's not trying to continue what Nolan started. Doing so would be a mistake. The problem is I worry that WB will not want to put the Batman franchise to rest after Nolan leaves. So if they have to do it, I'd rather they take this route then do another film that is a loose sequel to Nolan's films.

I don't really like Frank Miller's portrayal of Batman in DKR and All Star Batman & Robin IMHO.

I do have to agree with everyone here though that it would be a big mistake to try and do this at the same time as Nolan's films. Maybe a couple years after he leaves the franchise, but anything sooner would just be insulting. I mean, Nolan got pissed at the prospect of a JLA film while he was doing his films, I couldn't even imagine his reaction at another Batman film coming out before he left.

I do have to agree with everyone here though that it would be a big mistake to try and do this at the same time as Nolan's films. Maybe a couple years after he leaves the franchise, but anything sooner would just be insulting. I mean, Nolan got pissed at the prospect of a JLA film while he was doing his films, I couldn't even imagine his reaction at another Batman film coming out before he left.

Speaking of which.. are they still making JLA?

^ Thankfully no. Not that particular production at least. they say it's on hold.

I don't think you are giving audiences enough credit. By that logic Watchmen wouldn't work as a direct adaption. Of course we'll have to wait and see if that is the case or not. I mean, I'm not a huge Zack Snyder fan, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to this if Watchmen turns out to be pretty good. In my opinion this is really the only logical way to follow up the Nolan films because it's not trying to continue what Nolan started. Doing so would be a mistake. The problem is I worry that WB will not want to put the Batman franchise to rest after Nolan leaves. So if they have to do it, I'd rather they take this route then do another film that is a loose sequel to Nolan's films.

I don't think you're thinking it all the way through. What are some of the main differences between DKR and Watchmen?

DKR is "Batman in the future". Watchmen is a brand new concept to audiences. It doesn't matter if it's partly set in 1985, it's all they'll ever know. But Batman in the future...in the middle of the Cold War, just makes no sense now.

In my opinion this is really the only logical way to follow up the Nolan films because it's not trying to continue what Nolan started.

You're basically saying that the only way to do something different from Nolan is to....adapt Dark Knight Returns? That's the only logical way? I don't think so.

I can see a movie with an older Batman happening. I can see Batman VS Superman. But I can't see it happening in a straight adaption of DKR, and I don't think that's what Snyder even means if this report is true. Any professional would see clearly that it's a pointless endeavor.

The same themes and ideas of DKR would work much better in a film if you relaxed the restraints of the original story.

Zack Snyder shouldnt touch this franchise. 300 was entertaining but it would be an entirely wrong style for these films.
Exactly. I really wouldn't want to see him handle Batman at all. Snyder's direction might be great to kick off GL though.

Some people have mentioned having Nolan direct TDKR. While I love Nolan's work and believe that the Batman films he has done will remain the best Batman films out for a while, I have to say that "The Dark Knight Returns" just does not fit his style. People say that TDKR is gritty and realistic. I'll agree with the first part, but its just not all that realistic. Miller doesn't really go for realism, he goes mostly for symbolism and all that good stuff -- at least, in my opinion from what I've gathered from his work. I mean, Joker escaped on a flying baby that spewed toxins from its mouth. He gave mind-control lipstick to prostitutes. The style of TDKR is closer to Watchmen than it is to Nolan's Batman franchise, and that's not a bad thing at all.

As for Snyder, I'll wait til after Watchmen to see if I like him for TDKR. Watching the trailer, I was conflicted. While I largely enjoyed it, I also had a kind of sinking feeling that maybe he focused on the effects and sleekness of the film and ignored the symbolism and the focus on the reimagining of the superhero. Of course, until the film comes out I'm going to giving him the benefit of the doubt and go into the film with high expectations.

As for Frank Miller, it IS his own work. It'd be interesting to see him translate it to film.

No matter how TDKR is made, it needs to be clear to the audience that this is a different entity than TDKR.

I'd have no issue with it as long as it was after Nolan's final movie and it was unconnected to that franchise.

I don't think you're thinking it all the way through. What are some of the main differences between DKR and Watchmen?

DKR is "Batman in the future". Watchmen is a brand new concept to audiences. It doesn't matter if it's partly set in 1985, it's all they'll ever know. But Batman in the future...in the middle of the Cold War, just makes no sense now.

How would a movie taking place in the future in the middle of the cold war be any different or less confusing than a movie set in the alternate reality 80's where Nixon is still President? Once again, I think you are assuming audiences are dumber than they are... especially considering quite a few of them have probably read the comic, or at the very least heard about it at some point. I mean, it is, arguably, the most famous comic book ever published.

You're basically saying that the only way to do something different from Nolan is to....adapt Dark Knight Returns? That's the only logical way? I don't think so.

No... I'm saying the best way to follow up the Nolan franchise is to do something radically different, and I can't personally think of something more radically different than an adaption of DKR. I really don't think there are many people that could walk into DKR and be confused over whether or not they are seeing a continuation of the Nolan franchise.

I can see a movie with an older Batman happening. I can see Batman VS Superman. But I can't see it happening in a straight adaption of DKR, and I don't think that's what Snyder even means if this report is true. Any professional would see clearly that it's a pointless endeavor.

The same themes and ideas of DKR would work much better in a film if you relaxed the restraints of the original story.

To each their own, I suppose. Ironically, I'm not even a huge fan of DKR. I prefer Year One. But so far this is the only post-Nolan suggestion that I've heard that sounds halfway decent. If I could have it my way there would be no movies after Nolan is done. But somehow I doubt WB feels the same. To me, this feels like the best compromise.

You want to fix the Cold War aspects of TDKR so you can set it in the future? Have the Soviet Union rise back to power. However, I agree with souvlaki that it can be set in an alternate 80's and not confuse anyone.

Let Nolan end his series with a third one and then wait maybe a decade and do DKR as a stand alone film.

I think it s a great story, but not a great Batman story, if you know what I mean. It'll have its day eventually. Albeit I honestly prefer Batman Beyond's depiction of the Bat's future.

Let Nolan end his series with a third one and then wait maybe a decade and do DKR as a stand alone film.

I think it s a great story, but not a great Batman story, if you know what I mean. It'll have its day eventually. Albeit I honestly prefer Batman Beyond's depiction of the Bat's future.

Everyone's (including /film although they did admit it's speculation) taking Snyder's quote WAYYYYYYYYY out of proportion. I watched the Watchmen panel on YouTube. The way he said it, he was just saying he'd like to see a movie of DKR get made. He didn't give the slightest inkling towards wanting to direct it himself. In fact, the way he said it, his voice and all, made it sound like he's actually looking forward to taking a break from comic book movies and he was just answering the person's question. In no way is this setting in stone that he's going to do this. In fact, I highly doubt it.

Miller and Snyder should do it, but not for well 5-8 years from now.
considering the third Nolan batman movie (2011)
Plus some breathing space, and other marvel and dc ventures coming out in 2012/2013.
2014 seems like a good year, just 6 years from now though (N)

Snyder needs to get away from comic-book movies after Watchmen, and branch out and be an actual filmmaker.

The Dark Knight Returns is Nolan's to do in fifteen years after Bale has properly aged.

I'd love to see a DKR adaption. Maybe Batman will wear tights for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"