The Dark Knight Rises Zack Snynder interested in The Dark Knight Returns

At least with Snyder, I know it will be done shot for shot
Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of.

Zack Snyder is FAR from a talented director and the "exact translation from page to screen" technique used in 300 and Rodriguez' Sin City delivered far from perfect movies. I'm eager to see Watchmen, because doing it shot-for-shot on that one is impossible (you'd have a 7 hour movie) and maybe Snyder finally got creative...

Besides, DKR wouldn't work as a movie. Aside from the fact it wouldn't mesh with the current Nolan franchise, it's too overwrought with themes that aren't relevant anymore, necessitating changes that would piss off the fans. And who'd wanna see it? Comicbook fans, sure. But the general public would just be turned off immensely by it, I think. TDK was a highly cynical movie, with a depressing turn for its hero. But at least he remained a hero. DKR's Batman is a psychotic fascist who gleefully exchanges heroism and the persuit of justice for the selfish gratification of his violent craving for revenge.

DKR is a landmark graphic novel, brilliant in many ways. It showed what comics in the 80ies and onward could be, but not what they should be. And what it definitely also shouldn't be, is a movie. Definitely not one by a low on imagination, overly reverent copyist like Zack Snyder...

I'd love to see DKR done animated from the DC Universe line, not so sure about a live-action movie--espicially since I'd have to explain to everyone that it it's a adaptation of a comic, and, if done completely faithfully, will have nothing to do with the current Nolan series.

How would a movie taking place in the future in the middle of the cold war be any different or less confusing than a movie set in the alternate reality 80's where Nixon is still President?Once again, I think you are assuming audiences are dumber than they are... especially considering quite a few of them have probably read the comic, or at the very least heard about it at some point. I mean, it is, arguably, the most famous comic book ever published.

I already said it. Burtons Batman existed in chronological murk, but Nolans Batman is already well known for existing in the present day. Moving ahead, you cannot suddenly place "the future" within the past. i.e. the climate of the Cold War. Batman already 'began' in the present day, and more figuratively, that where he belongs in the public perception. If we're making a 'Batman in the 80's' movie, he better not look older than he already is now. Watchmen on the other hand, has only ever existed in one timeframe.

And you're right, I probably am catering to a low denominator of movie-goer here. But you have to. This is not the greatest example but how many people thought Batman Begins was a sequel? And if you're aiming for the masses (and TDK is approaching near-Titanic levels. Batman is huge) then you want the general concept of the film to be as easily understood as possible. I'm not saying most people wouldnt get it. Lots would. I'm saying that there's better options available if you want to film the themes and content of DKR, for instance like not setting it in the literal mid 80's witha Cold War going on. And once you do that you may as well take whatever other creative liberties that present themselves,and soon you're moving very far away from what was once "The Dark Knight Returns". You could just as easily make it another kind of dystopian future, perhaps one where China is an opposing world power (and it all looks like Bladeunner), or the Middle East is nuked, or even better, Gotham is in ruins from an earthquake, and Canada is threatening to invade. Go wild, it's silly to be so severely constrained by a 20 year old comic book that's very much a product of its time.

I say "screw the masses." Until I see something that makes me say, "Wow, this is really happening," I'm gonna stick to the idea that a DKR movie should simply be DKR in movie form and nothing else.

why does Zack Snyder want to have sex with Frank Miller so much?.... Frank Miller is good but what he did to the Spirit pisses me off he has to put his big dumb Sin City-esque stamp on everything he touches... black white and red sticks out... wow omg ... its been done get over it... Id rather them do TDKR like they did The New Frontier... cartoon rated whatever they need straight to dvd... but very high quality

go away Zack Snyder

I was at the Watchmen panel and from the footage I saw. I could see Snyder directing TDKR. Trust me the footage there sold me on the film as the tralier did to. So I would like to see Zack take a shot at this after Nolans Bat films

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"