Zack Snyder zombie film "Army of the Dead" on Netflix

Also, I really believe that if Dolores O’Riordan was still alive, she wouldn’t have let Snyder use “Zombie” in this movie. Like the video above mentions, that song is about killings during the Northern Ireland conflict and was one of her most important and powerful songs. But just because it had the word “zombie” in it and it’s a heavy rock tune, Snyder used it in this movie. That’s actually pretty offensive the more I think about it. I’m surprised the remaining members of the Cranberries allowed him to use it.

I know that this sort of thing happens a lot with music and I’m normally okay with it (songs with meanings that don’t really match the movies that use them). But in this case, it just reinforces the “Snyder acts like a 13-year-old boy” argument. He was probably just like, “Damn, are there any songs about zombies? Oh yeah... that one by that hot Irish chick who sang Dreams! That one was even called Zombie!”

Yeah, I felt it's use was really inappropriate.

As much as I love Snyder, the whole movie was nonsensical to me around the halfway point.
So the real purpose of the operation was to get a blood sample (or head) of an alpha, which took literally just 2 people to do. If the Japanese dude and the military general guys he hung around with actually did a bit more recon and gathered some intel, they could have done the op with 3 guys tops, with that smuggler, drew out the queen, and took her head, all in a matter of hours. No need to go all the way in to the heart of Vegas to get to the chopper when they can literally just come out the way they went in through the container. Instead they made the whole op 3 times more complicated by involving a whole crew that doesn't belong to him, stealing millions that he didn't even really need. And at the end, he didn't get jack squat.

Yeah, the Pitch Meeting video noted that they were standing right near the entrance when they did it and could have just walked right out lol. That might not be correct: I would have to watch it again to be sure but if it is true than... lol.

I also loved how Lily actually says that chopping off that zombie’s head will draw the ire of the Zombie King dude, but then they do literally NOTHING to hide her body. One would think that if they just dragged her over to the piles of corpses 20 feet away or at least tucked her under a car that maybe they could have completely avoided incurring his wrath since he might not have even realized that she was dead.

Terrible writing.

The most unrealistic part of his whole thing is after watching WWZ, where brainless zombies were able to scale what is essentially the great wall of Israel, that intelligent zombies are held inside just 3 shipping containers height of a "wall".

The most unrealistic part of his whole thing is after watching WWZ, where brainless zombies were able to scale what is essentially the great wall of Israel, that intelligent zombies are held inside just 3 shipping containers height of a "wall".

They weren’t trying to leave though. That was their kingdom. There are other weird things in this flick though. It’s like a 6.5/10 for me I think.

I thought this was just a dumb fun movie, but there's no need for something like this to be 2,5 hours... it's too long. Also I couldn't help but feel that montage during the opening credits was the movie I actually wanted to see. This was kind of like the same storyline as Train to Busan 2. (With a twist)

I thought this was just a dumb fun movie, but there's no need for something like this to be 2,5 hours... it's too long. Also I couldn't help but feel that montage during the opening credits was the movie I actually wanted to see. This was kind of like the same storyline as Train to Busan 2. (With a twist)

Yeah the intro (with Vegas being overrun, not that idiotic scene with the soldiers) was really good and it totally got me into the movie. But so much in the middle was a lull. Drawn out scenes that were attempts at character building but the dialogue wasn’t strong enough for them to really be engaging, especially when you as an audience member are sitting there thinking, “Talk about this **** LATER when there isn’t a horde of zombies outside and a nuclear bomb about to drop!”

This might’ve been answered already, but what the hell happened to

Dave Bautista’s daughter’s friend that she risked both of them to rescue at the end? The helicopter crashes and... what? Did I miss her dead body? What the hell was the point? They set up this friendship and all that, and they don’t even get a friendship hug, walking back for her to see her son?

Short answer (it initially confused me too because it was some sloppy editing):
She died.

Longer answer:
Absolutely everyone but the daughter Kate dies. Her friend Geeta died in the helicopter crash even though we don't see her body clearly. There was a brief shot of Peters the pilot and if you look carefully at the helicopter as she says "Dad I'm right here," you can see Geeta's corpse hanging out of the passenger side of the cockpit. That was it. The focus was on Kate and Scott's final moments. Right after that we pan off to Vanderohe (the other "survivor" from the vault) and Synder totally forgets the entire point of Kate's journey into Los Vegas is also dead in the wreckage.

Even Vanderohe dies although his delayed death is what will lead into the inevitable sequel presumably taking place in Mexico City once he turns.

Last edited:
It would be funny if, in a plot twist in the sequel,
Vanderhoe lands in Mexico City and realizes that the zombie bite wasn’t deep enough to infect him. But he’s still dying from nuclear radiation poisoning. The radiation is highly contagious and he infects the entire city so they all die anyway. The movie could be called “City of the Dead” and it could just be two and half hours of slow motion panning shots of streets full of corpses.

The first dead team at the vault makes this story even more stupid. If Tanaka assembled a second team to get inside Vegas then why trick both teams to get the money from the vault? i think this was a rewritte or changed during filmed. noone is that stupid.

I went back and rewatched the first half to see if they really left the doors open when they walked into Las Vegas. It looks like they did. i understand from a cinematic point of view if you are a music video director that it looks cool if they walk through the open door into Las Vegas. but come on.

I enjoyed this one! Didn't quite live up to my hype levels, but it was entertaining. Good action, story was fine. Some of the character moments felt a bit clunky and tossed in though. Like "oh yeah, we had a romance before!!!" or "oh yeah, I don't actually hate you dad!!". Probably lands around a 6.5-7/10 for me. Was hoping for a better "twist" at the end, but overall I want to see more from this world.

And lol at the amount of hate about the use of Zombie. C'mon folks.

The first dead team at the vault makes this story even more stupid. If Tanaka assembled a second team to get inside Vegas then why trick both teams to get the money from the vault? i think this was a rewritte or changed during filmed. noone is that stupid..

How so? They were clearly driven by their want/desire to get a blood sample (or better) from one of the Alpha's. If you're Tanaka, and you have a limited window to collect your proverbial payday before its nuked....why not send in more people? What's the loss to you? If anything, it just added to the level of futility of their mission, as well as the overarching message about senseless violence and greed. Not saying it's perfectly executed, but I don't see any issues with the idea itself.

Some things I found interesting:

- The first zombie (Zeus) was wearing dogtags in the opening scene when he escaped. Did the zombies originate from the military experimenting on their own? Or did they come from some alien source? You can also see these two white UFO looking things in the sky in the opening scene that appear to fly away.

- The time loop theory. The guy mentions it as a joke in the movie, but if you look at the corpses inside the vault, they really do appear to be the same group of the heist people, right down to the clothes and jewelry.

- The first zombie (Zeus) was wearing dogtags in the opening scene when he escaped. Did the zombies originate from the military experimenting on their own? Or did they come from some alien source? You can also see these two white UFO looking things in the sky in the opening scene that appear to fly away.

- The time loop theory. The guy mentions it as a joke in the movie, but if you look at the corpses inside the vault, they really do appear to be the same group of the heist people, right down to the clothes and jewelry.

I'm assuming this will be explored in the prequel film?

Yeah, didn’t one of them have an old school key around their neck? I think Maria wore one too.

f9c8986dd4828617c867f596d6678d6b6aa1fe68.gifv

She is the cause for everybody dying. :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

I think even without her they would have all died...slipping on a banana or some ****.
The writing would have killed them all with or without her.

Or im just forgiving because she is damn cute...yeah im that simple.XD

I think even without her they would have all died...slipping on a banana or some ****.
The writing would have killed them all with or without her.

Or im just forgiving because she is damn cute...yeah im that simple.XD
I think it's the latter.

I like Zack Snyder in general, but this movie was a snooze-fest for me as I had great difficulty staying awake through most of it. I like the opening sequence well enough but it just felt like a Watchmen-rehash; it just feels too been there, done that, for me to truly feel as mesmerizing as the Watchmen opening. Here, Snyder feels like a magician rehashing old tricks that have been seen before.

And I didn’t care for most of the characters or situations in this flick, lol. I like Tig Notaro’s character a lot but that’s only because she felt like the only character with any life & the dialogue in general is pretty bad and hokey. Love the gore kills but that sadly is not enough to make a good movie. This was a letdown...which is a shame since I was rooting Zack and this was billed as this comeback of sorts for him, but I’m sad to report it really isn’t, and I must say this is one of his worst looking movies I’ve ever seen.

Outside of the opening, the movie isn’t pleasant to look at. It just looks kind of ugly. This may be his weakest movie since Sucker Punch for me. I hope he does better next time.

Last edited:
I personally enjoyed the movie..

Couple of really cliched characters.. situations, but that's part of the course, I guess.

It's your typical Snyder 'trying to make you think' kind of movie... which I wished he stopped.

It tried to be different and ended up being typical.

Oh snap.. that's true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"