Far From Home Zendaya IS MJ

Hated the character. Zendaya is hot but deserved better for a character. In some ways, she would've made a better Liz Allen than the girl they used.

If they make her somehow Mary Jane Watson, I'm out. I hope she's used minimally in the sequel. As Ultimate Webhead said, if someone deleted her out of the final edit, you could hardly tell she was there. Her character was annoying, popped up out of nowhere and didn't really serve a story purpose at all.

uU103aB.gif

Lemme guess, she's going to become an Instagram model by the end of this one and dye her hair red in tribute to Spidey after he saves her or something.

I think it's very likely that MJ is the MCU's Mary Jane Watson. If you're ready to walk due to that... well that's good.. you should be ready, cause it very well could happen.

I think it's very likely that MJ is the MCU's Mary Jane Watson. If you're ready to walk due to that... well that's good.. you should be ready, cause it very well could happen.

How is that good?

Still can't over how ridiculous some spider-man fanatics are, you all literally want everything to stay the same as the comics that are years old and the movies that more or less stayed the same 5 times. How can you not even allow for the slightest change without having a hissy fit and saying "im out/walking" ?

Watch Mary Jane becomes like an alias she goes by, LOL!

If she crosses paths with Benedict Cumberbatch or RDJ, they can be her Holmes. A heroin-smoking Holmes. She can be the sidekick and get in on the habit, becoming "Mary Jane" Watson to "Heroin" Holmes. :o

How is that good?

Still can't over how ridiculous some spider-man fanatics are, you all literally want everything to stay the same as the comics that are years old and the movies that more or less stayed the same 5 times.

Only the first two or three movies were really close to the comics.

How is that good?

Still can't over how ridiculous some spider-man fanatics are, you all literally want everything to stay the same as the comics that are years old and the movies that more or less stayed the same 5 times. How can you not even allow for the slightest change without having a hissy fit and saying "im out/walking" ?

You misunderstand me. I agree that comic books need to change with the times and fans demand too much fealty to the original storylines. I’m just saying that if one is ready to walk due to this MJ character (who is great).. then that’s a good thing I guess... to be prepared, cause that’s probably what is going to happen. It’s the most likely thing to happen, and if that’s too much for someone... bu bye.

Guy, keep an eye out for the actor's instagram posts as it could point as to what they could look like in the sequel. Especially Zendaya. Red hair sometime soon perhaps?

Mary Jane's going to be her Instagram handle cause she doesn't want her friends finding out that she's an IG model.

How is that going to help? If people are friends with her on Facebook already, then Instagram usually offers friend suggestions. It wouldn't matter whether her name is Mary Jane or Michelle because it would still suggest her. And if she became a popular IG model she'd start trending on it anyway or would show up in other places around the net. So it's not like she could hide.

How is that going to help? If people are friends with her on Facebook already, then Instagram usually offers friend suggestions. It wouldn't matter whether her name is Mary Jane or Michelle because it would still suggest her. And if she became a popular IG model she'd start trending on it anyway or would show up in other places around the net. So it's not like she could hide.

A) Not everyone links their Instagram to their Facebook.

B) If you become famous then you don't have to be around those people you're hiding from in high school anymore?

How is that good?

It's not the slightest change to me. It's taking away the name and the character's structure to me. Make her black, spanish, indian, asian, it doesn't matter to me in the grand scheme of things, but taking away the structure and name makes trying to make it the character at all pointless to me. I think some would argue, though I'd kinda disagree, that they haven't got a proper adaption of MJ in all 5 movies. Let's make Spider-Man into Patrick Paulson, make him into a bully ladies man before he gets bit by the spider. I don't see the point in even using the character spiderman then.

It's not the slightest change to me. It's taking away the name and the character's structure to me. Make her black, spanish, indian, asian, it doesn't matter to me in the grand scheme of things, but taking away the structure and name makes trying to make it the character at all pointless to me. I think some would argue, though I'd kinda disagree, that they haven't got a proper adaption of MJ in all 5 movies. Let's make Spider-Man into Patrick Paulson, make him into a bully ladies man before he gets bit by the spider. I don't see the point in even using the character spiderman then.

First of all thank you for proving my point about how ridiculous some spider-man fanatics are because you went from 0 to 100 there you the comparison you were trying to make.

If a name is all that makes a character to you then I dont know what to tell you really. Also this character is a character in High school and in case you don't know or forgot a lot of people go through a lot of changes in high school and they can come out a different person, in a movies case character development. If you think Michelle will stay with the exact same attitude and character and look for every movie then i'm pretty sure you are going to be proven wrong. I think as soon as we heard Zendaya was cast in more then 1 movie from the start most of us knew her character would develop as time went on so she could grow and change along with others, to make sure she isn't just some one note character for all the movies she is in, she actually gets some character development and gets to change and grow too. Yeah she can be a model etc or she could be someone who is a model and considered stunning but also is a bit of a nerd and an outcast when she was younger but as she grew up she changed a bit (maybe not losing that side completely , giving her an extra bit of character )
This is the root I think they are taking with Michelle and to me that is interesting and different compared to some other women in spider-man and superhero movies

First of all thank you for proving my point about how ridiculous some spider-man fanatics are because you went from 0 to 100 there you the comparison you were trying to make.
I think I used the same concepts of change used for MJ in SMH.
If a name is all that makes a character to you then I dont know what to tell you really. Also this character is a character in High school and in case you don't know or forgot a lot of people go through a lot of changes in high school and they can come out a different person, in a movies case character development. If you think Michelle will stay with the exact same attitude and character and look for every movie then i'm pretty sure you are going to be proven wrong. I think as soon as we heard Zendaya was cast in more then 1 movie from the start most of us knew her character would develop as time went on so she could grow and change along with others, to make sure she isn't just some one note character for all the movies she is in, she actually gets some character development and gets to change and grow too. Yeah she can be a model etc or she could be someone who is a model and considered stunning but also is a bit of a nerd and an outcast when she was younger but as she grew up she changed a bit (maybe not losing that side completely , giving her an extra bit of character )
This is the root I think they are taking with Michelle and to me that is interesting and different compared to some other women in spider-man and superhero movies
Name and structure. MJ was never a one note character to me in the Raimi movies. I think she dealt with insecurities based on her dad's belittlement of her and her how she treats and sees herself as a person.

How you're talking about the character developing isn't Mary-Jane's character as far as I know: She starts as an airheaded party girl who party's to hide her pain from her psychological issues from her home life and develops into someone who cares about others and reaches out to people.

If you want that kinda character who changes from a nerd to self assured girl who takes care to make herself look attractive, which I think is one note, then that's not Mary-Jane, as far as I understand the character.

You know, for most adaptions of MJ, they sure use Gwen Stacy as a template a lot...

The Spider-Man Trilogy of the "Girl next door" - Gwen Stacy after she softened up in comics...although Mary Jane was a literal girl next door, she wasn't personality wise, she wasn't the wholesome "Betty" of the Betty and Veronica duo of Archie.

"She starts off as a shy nerdy girl in high school who develops into a bombshell" - Gwen Stacy from Spectacular Spider-Man, who they went backwards for her, noticing she was in Peter's science classes and went from there, thus doing the "Wallflower blossoming" thing.

Have we had the OG Gwen Stacy Alpha B who becomes softer over time yet? I don't think we've seen someone do the "Ice Queen melting" version of Gwen yet...

As far as this MJ, for some reason I just find her unlikable...at least toward Peter. Maybe in the future, she will be forced to be in situations with Peter where she has to do more than tell him that he sucks (or some variation of that).

Last edited:
If she crosses paths with Benedict Cumberbatch or RDJ, they can be her Holmes. A heroin-smoking Holmes. She can be the sidekick and get in on the habit, becoming "Mary Jane" Watson to "Heroin" Holmes. :o

16sp.gif

Zendaya plays a dry, sarcastic MJ and one of Peter Parker’s nerdy high school pals in the first film. In an interview Zendaya mentioned, that her MJ was inspired by Ally Sheedy’s “Basket Case” Allison Reynolds from John Hughes’ 1985 teen classic, The Breakfast Club. If you know The Breakfast Club Allison Reynolds starts as nerdy girl and after a makeover, it reveals that she is secretly beautiful.

breakfast-club-ally-sheedy.jpg

So I really hope they are going the same direction for Zendayas MJ. So they can bring a new interesting character background to Zendayas MJ interpretation. Otherwise it would be such a waste to cast such a beautiful, supermodel-like actress and not to show it.

Last edited:
How is that good?

Slightest change? You gotta be friggin kidding me. It's throwing one of the biggest spidey characters for decades In the garbage and replacing her with a whole new character. It's MJ in name only, which is so much worse than if they'd just not used MJ at all.

Looks like this needs to be posted again:
IGN: I'm going to sort of swipe a line from J.J. Abrams and ask why you went the mystery box route with the Michelle/MJ/Zendaya reveal. Can you talk a little bit about the decision to do that?

Feige: Well, we never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love. She's not Mary Jane Watson. She never was Mary Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle, who we know there's an "M" in Michelle and an "M" in Mary. [laughs] So we're so clever and we thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if her initials were MJ?" And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate. It was never a big, "Oh my God, it's a big reveal!" There are big reveals in the movie. That's not one of them.

Pascal: She is not going to end as being Mary Jane Watson.

Feige: She's not Mary-Jane Watson.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/07/...ers-on-the-reveal-of-that-characters-nickname

Slightest change? You gotta be friggin kidding me. It's throwing one of the biggest spidey characters for decades In the garbage and replacing her with a whole new character. It's MJ in name only, which is so much worse than if they'd just not used MJ at all.

Yes, exactly.

Another hissy fit....

These characters are still in high school when not let them grow and have some character development before going in on them with your five year old like hissy fit
And like many have said she isn't Mary Jane

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"