Zoe Kravitz IS Catwoman

You don’t need to have a visual style that is completely your own in order to make a great Batman movie. Matt is like PTA in that his films are linked thematically and how he deals with characters. But visually they’re both chameleons.

Yeah, I would argue that Matt Reeves absolutely has a distinctive overall style as a filmmaker. However it's far more centered around his approach to how he treats characters and the overall storytelling. From there, he adjusts his visual style to best suit the story he's telling.

His primary 'mark' as a filmmaker is his ability to tell genuinely emotional and intimate stories in the context of massive scaled blockbusters. You might not see the Reeves touch in the same way you might for Spielsberg, Nolan or whoever, but you will absolutely feel it.

And either way, it's not like Let Me In, the Apes films or what we've seen in The Batman teaser are unsatisfying to look at visually. They're all well shot films and share at least some intrinsic DNA in that Reeves leans heavily towards heavy shadows and dramatic framing. Heck, I can see a parallel in how Reeves has the car sequences in Let Me In framed with a very similar shot of Koba commandeering a tank during Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Or even the similar visual language put on display early into War where Reeves has the camera act as Caesar's POV as he walks through his barricades while the other apes watch him in awe with the POV trailer early in the Batman trailer where he approaches the crime scene while the GCPD and FBI agents all look at him nervously.

Do we think Zoe will have one catsuit, or her look will evolve throughout the movie?

I believe she will have an evolving catsuit since its early in her career as Catwoman, but also that she will have multiple stunning casual outfits.

Do we think Zoe will have one catsuit, or her look will evolve throughout the movie?

I don't know if it'll fully evolve in this movie, but I'd wager we'll at least see a more traditional looking catsuit in subsequent films. Especially considering Zoe's costume is already pretty close to the classic Darwyn Cooke Catsuit, minus the proper cowl and goggles.

Hopefully that shows up at some point in The Batman though, rather than having to wait several more years before we get there.

Was that a backhanded compliment lol
Oops. But actually I was thinking about the pixie haircut, which is great for action, and sharp facial features, that usually go well with cowls. And overall she's basically Year One Catwoman.

Thinking about this because of looking for inspiration from silent/horror cinema for The Joker, I wonder if Les Vampires and Irma Vep where an inspiration for Zoe's Catwoman.

Lesvampires.PNG

528ddd60e6fcb689cbdde8bbe56936cb.png

tumblr_pgge6xwWBq1r9e4ti_540.jpg

tumblr_n5d3pxPvJI1svh35mo1_500.gif

And here I thought Soderbergh was basically retired from feature directing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"