24: Legacy

I'm starting to enjoy the show more as I watch it. I finally caught up with the series. I admit not having Keifer Sutherland in there as Jack Bauer is a bit disappointing, but I've been enjoying seeing a new character in the spotlight. Was nice to see [BLACKOUT]Tony Almedia [/BLACKOUT] back. If they continue with the series, then I wouldn't mind having some more cameo appearances down the road.

Only 2 eps left? 24 is supposed to have 24 eps per season..:confused:

I guess they'll do a time jump like Live Another Day did.

Moron security guard was willing to kill coworkers, betray the country over a side chick?

Moron security guard was willing to kill coworkers, betray the country over a side chick?

That's exactly what i was thinking! He must have been in love with her, or in love with dat...you know what.:cwink: He was willing to risk his career, imprisonment, death, etc over a woman who wasn't his wife.:loco:

I am not watching it here in Australia because it starts too late at night.

Is there any hint about the status of Jack Bauer in the last two episodes?

I am not watching it here in Australia because it starts too late at night.

Is there any hint about the status of Jack Bauer in the last two episodes?

Doubt it. They had their chance with the whole prequel thing with Carter and the Rangers mission. Imagine if the mission was a rescue op that turned to ****. They could have dropped hints about the mission all season before it's revealed who they were trying to rescue. But the season's villains weren't Russians. So, no go there. Would be nice to know what became of Jack.

I am watching purely out of brand loyalty at this point. Eric is as bland as they come. Every character, with the exception of Miranda Otto, is bland. This show has also brought nothing new to the table. 24 was good because it was gripping and unique in an era before serialized television existed. It was new and exciting and unpredictable. This is none of those things. This is a bunch of 24-tropes recycled and thrown at the wall with the hopes that something sticks. Hell, after this week, it's not even just tropes that are being recycled. The story is essentially a condensed, carbon copy of season one. The twist this week was literally exactly the same as [blackout]Drazen being alive[/blackout].

24 may have been able to survive without Jack Bauer. But not without quality writing that was able to push the boundaries of what audiences expected on TV. 24 was cutting edge in 2001. Now, it is standard fare. And this show has done zilch to set itself apart from the dozen or so other serialized network television shows. Heck, its done nothing to set itself apart from its predecessor. Instead, it has copied it, verbatim. This pseudo-remake has led to disappointing results.

I stopped watching after about the third episode for the same reasons Matt. To keep pace against the modern TV drama shows have to do something pretty spectacular. Regurgitating an early 2000s formula is the fast track to cancellation.

...and unique in an era before serialized television existed.

Rare though they might have been, serialized TV shows have been around decades before 24 first hit screens. :woot:

Disappointing end to a disappointing reboot. Even [blackout]Rebecca's[/blackout] death felt mandatory and scripted. Think of the most shocking deaths in 24: Teri Bauer, Nina, Palmer, Michelle, Audrey, etc...they were quick and brutal. Hell, Teri died off screen. It made them effective. This one was cinematic and drawn out, right down to the dramatic last words and the love interest arriving just in time to witness the death. The whole episode you could feel this coming. As such, there was no tension surrounding it and certainly no surprise. [blackout]And none of that speaks to the writers opting to kill the only interesting character on the show.[/blackout]

I dunno...24 of old would've done something daring. The scene in the beginning of the epsiode when [blackout]Nasari was holding Rebecca at knife point...he would've just slit her throat and been done with it.[/blackout] That is why 24 had a reputation of being a suspense filled, shocking, thrill ride. It avoided cinematic tropes such as this. Nothing about this was daring, shocking, or suspenseful. Stuff just happened. Even the semi-heel turn of Senator Jimmy Smits at the end, it means nothing. The character wasn't sufficiently developed for it to mean anything. If David Palmer pulled a move like that, the audience would be left shocked. But with this guy...nothing. Its almost like the writers just expected that having a generic minority presidential candidate would be enough to endear him to the audience as a Palmer surrogate. But then they never took the time to really develop him. The only consistent trait about him is that he gets indignant and angry at anything any other character does. Which doesn't make his final scene shocking. It just makes him into an unlikable hypocrite.

At the end of the day, that is the story of this show. Everything about it felt poorly managed/conceived. Hell, everything about this entire reboot felt unnecessary. It basically retold the story of season 1 of 24 (literally stole the backstory, the villains, their motivations, and the twist) in a far inferior way with lesser actors, lesser characters, and lesser scripts. There was never a sense of dramatic tension or excitement, the likes of which 24 built a reputation around. Eric is a boring protagonist with none of Jack Bauer's intensity or drive. It just felt very meh. Sadly, if this is renewed, I doubt I will be back unless Jack Bauer is involved. Sutherland is the only thing that can bring me back at this point.

Also...speaking of returning characters...why the hell was Tony there? He was literally just a goon who showed up for a few scenes to torture someone. Then disappeared until he got a phone call and went and fought Eric for...reasons. Then that was it. There was no redemptive arc, no closure, nothing that really moved the character forward from where we left him, not even any cool action scenes. Like this show as a whole, Tony's involvement felt unnecessary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Matt! I'm really glad I bailed on this early in the piece.

The ending was just blah. Won't be seeing any more if they do another season

this season just didn't have the intensity during it's run and the expectation that usually leads up to the season finale like the Jack Bauer episodes did...

and I'll call it right now... it'll be cancelled...

That was... anti climatic. And yeah Tony could've been anyone.

I stopped after episode 7 or 8. 24 is my favorite show of all time but this felt more like a responsibility to watch. All the 24 beats but none of the personality or great characters. Not liking what I'm hearing about Tony either. Sounds like just a violent goon. Heck i would have been excited if he was the star.

Yeah honestly, this show should've been about Tony, not Eric Carte Blanche.

I enjoyed this season as much as jack's last go around. It could of been better and if they come back I hope they do. Unfortunately for 24 they can't really capitalize on the politics of America now. Since they've already done it with a president with ties to the kremlin.

There were some decent episodes, but most of the time it fell flat and was predictable. I felt obligated to watch it since it's a part of the 24 universe. I didn't care much for the 1st season of 24 with Jack Bauer, so I think there's room to grow if this gets picked up for another season. However, if it doesn't get picked up, then that's fine by me.

I finally managed to get through all 12 episodes...

Personally, I don't like the fact that the series has gone down to 12 installments for a season. A big part of my fascination with this show was that it followed an entire 24 hour period in (near enough!) real time. I always assumed the time gaps (commercial breaks) meant that the characters had time to go to the toilet or grab a glass of water... :woot:

If I have to use one word to describe how I felt after the last episode it would be (totally) underwhelmed.
I had no investment in any of the characters, and Tony's inclusion served no purpose to me, he could have been anybody.

Jack Bauer was an interesting and complex character, and I do not think that Eric Carter is anywhere near a suitable replacement. That aside, I think Corey Hawkins did the best he could with what he had, which unfortunately, was not enough.

I honestly do not think that 24 Legacy will continue for another season. Certainly not in its current format and not without a major shakeup of the main characters.

And this is coming from someone who has been a fan of the series right from day one.

Well, I guess Corey Hawkins can do....something else now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"