24: Live Another Day - Part 2

SO....Tony's bout to break out! Who do you guys think is helping him and for what purpose?!

I would love another series, mini or otherwise. More so than a 24 movie. I think that a series has the time to go deeper into plot and characterisation.

Movies also would greatly compromise the 24 hour real-time structure. Much moreso than a 12 episode mini.

So, what do you guys think about what Kiefer said about reprising the role? He says he thinks he's done role but they can't possibly end the series the way LAD ended can they?

put a link here as to what Kiefer said about his future as Jack...

Here's a link to what he said, he said "never say never" but it sounds to me like he's done with it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=9P5dtD0H-eh5BMCQPUFcKw&bvm=bv.83134100,d.eXY

“Me, I don’t see going back to it. We had set out to do 12 episodes to end the show and deal with some of the past history of the show. It was also an irresistible opportunity to go shoot in England. So for all of those reasons it made sense to do that last season.”

I don't see how they could POSSIBLY end the series on that note. I mean, I'm not saying I want a "ride in the sunset ending" but they need to give us some kind of closure. The ending we got was really grim and ambiguous.

For a character like Jack I am not sure there was ever going to be anything but a dark ending, the way they have done it he went out making sure those he cared about would be safe, and not actually killing him off onscreen was maybe the way to go since they faked out with that once already at the end of season 4.

Dark endings I don't have a problem with. I don't need a happy ending and I'm even fine with an open-ended one, but THAT ending? Jack really went out with a whimper and he deserved...more.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the THR writer doing the story on FOX's executives seems to have reason to think the door is open for more...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-fox-chiefs-reveal-reboot-761341
Event series will remain a focus as well, though he suggests they'll rely on built-in titles that don't require extensive marketing (another iteration of 24 is likely), and a lower-cost scripted block on Fridays is being explored.
Maybe it'll be on sort of a Curb Your Enthusiasm/Larry David schedule. You won't see it this year, but maybe next year or the year after.

Dark endings I don't have a problem with. I don't need a happy ending and I'm even fine with an open-ended one, but THAT ending? Jack really went out with a whimper and he deserved...more.

Looking at it though that was kind of it for him, he was tired and broken by the end, Audrey was dead and his family and Chloe were safe, so fighting and going down shooting wasn't really going to help anyone. He resigned himself to his fate, a fate he probably knew was always coming given the path his life had taken.

When we got to about season 3 I thought Jack's only end story would be his death and I admit I imagined it more as a blaze of glory kind of deal, but him sitting quietly in the chopper, knowing it was finally over, he could finally rest, reminded me of the end of Man on Fire, the last fight was fought and to a large degree, he won.

I think I'm bitter about the ending because it felt similar to the ending of Season 5 when Jack was captured by the Chinese. Of course in LAD, he went willingly instead of being tricked.

I don't know. In a way I would love another season, but who's to say we don't get an even worse ending than this one.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, I think both Jack and we the viewers deserve a "peaceful" ending. I don't think the ending we got was "peaceful." Jack's given and lost so much, the guy deserves some semblance of tranquility.

No... nothing about Jack's crusade can lead to relief. The finale was perfect, Jack knows that the only way he can truly keep his family safe beyond this point is to 'surrender'. He knows there are other great agents than can fight his good fight against future terrorists but anything that was personal needed to come to head... He took the high ground because Jack doesn't surrender, but after so much loss he knew it was time.

Its poignant that Jack had to bow out of this crusade and honestly the best choice for viewers; I know I could never handle witnessing Jack's death on screen, therefore it's easier to assume he either died in prison, or is still being tortured because he sacrificed himself to the highest calibre for his family, friends, and the United States.

This isn't like the ending of Day 5 when he unknowingly was captured, he chose this path.

Deep down it sucks, I want 24 to go forever and ever but it can't and we've got more than enough adventures and it was time for 24 to 'end'.

Honestly, the way I see it; if someone isn't open to seeing this finale as Jack's true swan song are not true fans of the character, and are only fans of '24 - the action show'.

Last edited:
I...respectfully disagree. Again, I don't necessarily want an ending where Jack's riding off into the sunset but to me, the ending we got from LAD just feels so...grim and inconclusive. I mean whats the message this show is giving us? You do the right thing, you do whats right, whats necessary and in return you get nothing but a lifetime of death, misery and torture? I mean, I get it, in real life, not everyone gets a happy ending but at the end of the day this is fiction, and entertainment and is telling a story. This is about a hero, an anti-hero, but a hero none the less who will give anything and do anything he has to in order protect his country. In return, not only does he not get rewarded for it but his life just becomes s***ier and s***ier as a result.

When you think about it the entire show has big one gigantic downward spiral of Jack's life and all of the people around him. As awesome and fun and entertaining as the show has been I feel like each season became increasingly nihilistic and hopeless, and basically became "what can we possibly do to make Jack's life even worse now?" Tbh, when they killed off Audrey, I was really upset with that because after his wife, and Tony, and Michelle, and President Palmer and Renee this just seemed like unnecessary overkill.

With all that said, 24 is and will always be my favorite television show of all time. It is the only television show that can literally keep me on the edge of my seat for 24 consecutive episodes every single season and it literally pushed the limits of network television to shocking levels. I just believe that Jack's journey deserves a better ending than what we got. Maybe I'm just old school and I like to see the hero get what he deserves in the end especially after being put through the ringer over the course of 9 seasons.

Last edited:
I just can't see 24 without Jack... just not sure HOW I feel about it, really...

Most interesting!

I do READ between the lines that somehow Jack Bauer will make some kind of appearance. Can we expect big plans for his rescue involving Kate Morgan and Chloe? And could Tony be included?

Looking forward to this and am glad that 24 still has life!

Now, my next wish would be to see Dexter Morgan re-emerge to take out the baddies again - maybe this time without his Dark Passenger controlling him but with him in control of the situation. Perhaps his lumberjacking skills could take him to Minnesota and he again hitches up with Lumen Pierce?

If it's with the Kate Morgan character I'd be all for it.

This is going to be a daunting task, Kiefer Sutherland MAKES that show. Yet what's interesting about those comments is that Fox seems to have every intention of continuing the series for the foreseeable future and bringing Kiefer back EVENTUALLY, they just want to try out one installment without him. Interesting...maybe they could do a season where Tony Almeida is the main character?

It can be done. I don't think it necessarily should, nor do I think it would work out well with audiences, but it's possible.

Given the right story and a character you can follow along with, i think it could work. My only issue is them doing another story line where someone is working for the terrorists on the inside of CTU/CIA. Something of that nature. It's annoying and predictable.

I wouldn't mind if they went away from ther terrorists/government plot all together and tried something completely different.

I guess all this talk means as well that the movie is dead too?

I am warming to the idea of a series without Jack Bauer.

Maybe a gathering of his allies Kate Morgan, Tony Almeida and Chloe O'Brian with the allegiance of a former P.O.T.U.S. (if there are any left?) to do the planning.

It could work . . . with the rescue of Jack in the final instalment. Perhaps one of the last acts of abdicating president James Heller will be to pardon Tony Almeida and have agents Aaron Pierce and Kate Morgan organize a rescue team which includes Tony and Chloe. Could Kate find a new love interest? Tony . . . Aaron . . . Jack?

Yeah, now I am REALLY warming to a new chapter in 24!

There have been a few recent articles that discuss the possibility of a series without Jack, here is one:
http://nerdreactor.com/2015/01/23/24-no-jack-bauer/

(if only they could figure out a way to bring back Annie Wersching ... maybe Renee had a twin sister?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"