85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Oscar predictions: WHO WILL / WHO SHOULD / THE SURPRISE SPOILER

Best motion picture of the year

• “Amour” Nominees to be determined
  • “Argo” Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, Producers
  • “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald, Producers
  • “Django Unchained” Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers
  • “Les Misérables” Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
  • “Life of Pi” Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers
  • “Lincoln” Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
  • “Silver Linings Playbook” Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
  • “Zero Dark Thirty” Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers
WHO WILL - LINCOLN

WHO SHOULD - LIFE OF PI

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - ARGO

Achievement in directing

• “Amour” Michael Haneke
  • “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Benh Zeitlin
  • “Life of Pi” Ang Lee
  • “Lincoln” Steven Spielberg
  • “Silver Linings Playbook” David O. Russell
WHO WILL - STEVEN SPIELBERG

WHO SHOULD - ANG LEE

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - DAVID O'RUSSELL

Performance by an actor in a leading role

• Bradley Cooper in “Silver Linings Playbook”
  • Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln”
  • Hugh Jackman in “Les Misérables”
  • Joaquin Phoenix in “The Master”
  • Denzel Washington in “Flight”
WHO WILL - DANIEL DAY-LEWIS

WHO SHOULD - JOAQUIN PHOENIX

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - HUGH JACKMAN

Performance by an actress in a leading role

• Jessica Chastain in “Zero Dark Thirty”
  • Jennifer Lawrence in “Silver Linings Playbook”
  • Emmanuelle Riva in “Amour”
  • Quvenzhané Wallis in “Beasts of the Southern Wild”
  • Naomi Watts in “The Impossible”
WHO WILL - JESSICA CHASTAIN

WHO SHOULD - NAOMI WATTS

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - EMMANUELLE RIVA

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

• Alan Arkin in “Argo”
  • Robert De Niro in “Silver Linings Playbook”
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman in “The Master”
  • Tommy Lee Jones in “Lincoln”
  • Christoph Waltz in “Django Unchained”
WHO WILL - TOMMY LEE JONES

WHO SHOULD - PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - CHRISTOPH WALTZ

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

• Amy Adams in “The Master”
  • Sally Field in “Lincoln”
  • Anne Hathaway in “Les Misérables”
  • Helen Hunt in “The Sessions”
  • Jacki Weaver in “Silver Linings Playbook”
WHO WILL - ANNE HATHAWAY

WHO SHOULD - ANNE HATHAWAY

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - SALLY FIELD

Best animated feature film of the year

• “Brave” Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
  • “Frankenweenie” Tim Burton
  • “ParaNorman” Sam Fell and Chris Butler
  • “The Pirates! Band of Misfits” Peter Lord
  • “Wreck-It Ralph” Rich Moore
WHO WILL - WRECK-IT RAPLH

WHO SHOULD - WRECK-IT RALPH

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - BRAVE

Best foreign language film of the year

• “Amour” Austria
  • “Kon-Tiki” Norway
  • “No” Chile
  • “A Royal Affair” Denmark
  • “War Witch” Canada
WHO WILL - AMOUR

WHO SHOULD - AMOUR

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - KON-TIKI

Adapted screenplay

• “Argo” Screenplay by Chris Terrio
  • “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Screenplay by Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
  • “Life of Pi” Screenplay by David Magee
  • “Lincoln” Screenplay by Tony Kushner
  • “Silver Linings Playbook” Screenplay by David O. Russell
WHO WILL - LINCOLN

WHO SHOULD - LINCOLN

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - ARGO

Original screenplay

• “Amour” Written by Michael Haneke
  • “Django Unchained” Written by Quentin Tarantino
  • “Flight” Written by John Gatins
  • “Moonrise Kingdom” Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
  • “Zero Dark Thirty” Written by Mark Boal
WHO WILL - ZERO DARK THIRTY

WHO SHOULD - MOONRISE KINGDOM

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - DJANGO UNCHAINED

Achievement in cinematography

• “Anna Karenina” Seamus McGarvey
  • “Django Unchained” Robert Richardson
  • “Life of Pi” Claudio Miranda
  • “Lincoln” Janusz Kaminski
  • “Skyfall” Roger Deakins
WHO WILL - CLAUDIO MIRANDA

WHO SHOULD - CLAUDIO MIRANDA

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - ROGER DEAKINS

Achievement in film editing

• “Argo” William Goldenberg
  • “Life of Pi” Tim Squyres
  • “Lincoln” Michael Kahn
  • “Silver Linings Playbook” Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers
  • “Zero Dark Thirty” Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg
WHO WILL - ZERO DARK THIRTY

WHO SHOULD - ARGO

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - LIFE OF PI

Achievement in costume design

• “Anna Karenina” Jacqueline Durran
  • “Les Misérables” Paco Delgado
  • “Lincoln” Joanna Johnston
  • “Mirror Mirror” Eiko Ishioka
  • “Snow White and the Huntsman” Colleen Atwood
WHO WILL - ANNA KARENINA

WHO SHOULD - LINCOLN

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - LINCOLN

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

• “Hitchcock” Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel
  • “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane
  • “Les Misérables” Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell
WHO WILL - THE HOBBIT

WHO SHOULD - THE HOBBIT

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - LES MISERABLES

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

• “Anna Karenina” Dario Marianelli
  • “Argo” Alexandre Desplat
  • “Life of Pi” Mychael Danna
  • “Lincoln” John Williams
  • “Skyfall” Thomas Newman
WHO WILL - MYCHAEL DANNA
WHO SHOULD - MYCHAEL DANNA

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - ALEXANDRE DESPLAT

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

• “Before My Time” from “Chasing Ice” Music and Lyric by J. Ralph
  • “Everybody Needs A Best Friend” from “Ted” Music by Walter Murphy; Lyric by Seth MacFarlane
  • “Pi’s Lullaby” from “Life of Pi” Music by Mychael Danna; Lyric by Bombay Jayashri
  • “Skyfall” from “Skyfall” Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
  • “Suddenly” from “Les Misérables” Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil
WHO WILL - SKYFALL

WHO SHOULD - SKYFALL

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - EVERYBODY NEEDS A BEST FRIEND

Achievement in production design

• “Anna Karenina” Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
  • “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Production Design: Dan Hennah; Set Decoration: Ra Vincent and Simon Bright
  • “Les Misérables” Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson
  • “Life of Pi” Production Design: David Gropman; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
  • “Lincoln” Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson

WHO WILL - LINCOLN

WHO SHOULD - LES MISERABLES

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - LIFE OF PI

Achievement in sound editing

• “Argo” Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn
  • “Django Unchained” Wylie Stateman
  • “Life of Pi” Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton
  • “Skyfall” Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers
  • “Zero Dark Thirty” Paul N.J. Ottosson
WHO WILL - LIFE OF PI

WHO SHOULD - LIFE OF PI

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - ZERO DARK THIRTY

Achievement in sound mixing

• “Argo” John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia
  • “Les Misérables” Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes
  • “Life of Pi” Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin
  • “Lincoln” Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins
  • “Skyfall” Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson
WHO WILL - SKYFALL

WHO SHOULD - LIFE OF PI

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - LES MISERABLES

Achievement in visual effects

• “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White
  • “Life of Pi” Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
  • “Marvel’s The Avengers” Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick
  • “Prometheus” Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill
  • “Snow White and the Huntsman” Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson
WHO WILL - LIFE OF PI

WHO SHOULD - LIFE OF PI

THE SURPRISE SPOILER - HOBBIT

I think Les Miserables will be front runner for Sound Mixing– musicals do very well in that category, on top of that, there is the whole live singing thing going on.

I think of Hathaway more of a sure thing than DDL for some reason. It's possible for Hugh to pull the surprise, who knows. I suck at predicting winners though, so never mind me, i'm just mumbling out loud lol :oldrazz:

I most certainly wouldnt mid if DDL or Hugh won. They're certainly among my top male performances of the year.

Agreed.

I really hope Anne Hathaway will win best supporting actress.

Her Golden Globes win makes her a step closer to the Oscars.

Hugh Jackman....I'm not so sure. I think one of the reason he won the Golden Globes was because they have separate category drama/musical for leading actor/actress in Golden Globes.

Whereas the best supporting actor/actress in Golden Globes does not have separate category drama/musical.

So Anne winning GG means she really is the best out of everybody else. But I'm still rooting for Hugh and hopes he has a decent chance at winning too.

I hope Jackman wins. In my mind it'll be for The Fountain. A lot of people hated that movie, but he was stunning in that. With that one movie alone he went from an actor I thought was okay, to being one of favorite actors of all time.

But besides that, I've not seen most of those, so I don't have any hopes. I won't be surprised if they pass DDL up, though. He seems to be the favorite, but he has two Oscars already. Doesn't mean he can't win a third, but I think the more you rack up, the more your odds of adding to the collection get. But DDL is quickly becoming legend status when he comes to acting, so who knows

What a coincidence. If Jackman wins, in my mind I thought it would be for Les Mis. :o

Hey, we all need something to cling to in this feral and uncertain life.

I'll be pleased if Jackman wins. Just because he has come so far from Wolverine to an Oscar nominee.

But I really want Phoenix to win. Lewis was excellent as always but he already has two Oscars and the win would be so obvious. Phoenix created something truly unique.

I'm be cool with that, too. I haven't seen The Master, but ****, I know Phoenix killed it. I just know.

I'll be pleased if Jackman wins. Just because he has come so far from Wolverine to an Oscar nominee.

But I really want Phoenix to win. Lewis was excellent as always but he already has two Oscars and the win would be so obvious. Phoenix created something truly unique.
Agreed. I'll be fine with a Lewis win or a Jackman win (unlikely as I think that is), but I'll still be rooting for Joaquin. I know he has no shot at this point, but his performance totally blew me away.

I hope Jackman wins. In my mind it'll be for The Fountain. A lot of people hated that movie, but he was stunning in that. With that one movie alone he went from an actor I thought was okay, to being one of favorite actors of all time.

If Jackman wins, I'll be thinking about Van Helsing. :woot:

The Dark Knight Rises didn't deserve any major awards, but it certainly deserved a nod in a few of the technical awards. The Master deserved a cinematography nod over Skyfall( Skyfall looks great, but watch The Master in 70mm). The Master deserved the unused 10th Best Picture slot and Bigelow, Affleck and PTA all deserved Best Director noms. Oh and PTA's screenplay for The Master deserved some attention. I really liked The Master...can you tell?

I think Lincoln is certainly deserving of Best Picture, it was wonderful, but I'm rooting for Argo because I enjoyed it more and honestly think it would be a more unique pick. Lincoln, despite being great, is still a very stereotypical Academy Award film.

One of the big things is how Argo got snubbed or Affleck but if it were to win Best picture wouldent that be a huge thing for his career to¿ I mean he would have a movie that won best picture.

I really wish Phoneix hadn't made that boneheaded remark. If it wasn't for that, we may have had a real race on our hands. Instead, DDL is going to walk to his Oscar No. 3.

The Dark Knight Rises didn't deserve any major awards, but it certainly deserved a nod in a few of the technical awards. The Master deserved a cinematography nod over Skyfall( Skyfall looks great, but watch The Master in 70mm). The Master deserved the unused 10th Best Picture slot and Bigelow, Affleck and PTA all deserved Best Director noms. Oh and PTA's screenplay for The Master deserved some attention. I really liked The Master...can you tell?

I think Lincoln is certainly deserving of Best Picture, it was wonderful, but I'm rooting for Argo because I enjoyed it more and honestly think it would be a more unique pick. Lincoln, despite being great, is still a very stereotypical Academy Award film.

While Lincoln would be a fairly stereotypical choice, and it screamed oscar movie from the second it was announced I think the film itself avoids a lot of the potential pitfalls of being an "oscar bait" film. Both Spielberg and DDL came at the film with a lighter touch than they are often known for. It would have been so easy for Spielberg to crank up the schmaltz to War Horse levels or for Lewis to chew some scenery but I really don't feel either was the case. Instead Spielberg trusted the material and the performances to tell the story and affect the audience rather than having to pull out every available directorial bell and whistle and DDL gave one of the most naturalistic performances of his career.

I also enjoyed the film on a thematic level with the discussions of some of the grey areas that might be necessary to reach a goal and how ideals can set a destination but tell you little about how to get there.

I haven't seen Argo yet though. I'm glad to hear you liked it.

The cinematography in the Master was fantastic but I would bump something else and keep Skyfall. In my opinion its one of the best examples of what can be done with digital cinematography if great care is taken. Its the kind of thing that will be necessary if films are to maintain quality and visual language if so much of the industry is going to be moving to digital full time.

Plus it's Deakins.

Sometimes I really do not understand the Academy. The Impossible was absolutely amazing film, that deserved nominations for Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Film Editing, Supporting Actor for tom Holland, Best Director and Best Picture. Why are those films always overlooked.

How...how is Alan Arkin Best in Argo? He is just Alan Arkin, he did nothing special with that role, but just because it's him and its Arho they gave him a nomination. Stupid.

Tom Holland in my opinion is the best Supporting performance of the year.

Just watched The Impossible and I agree. That was one of the few films I can say that I cried watching. Amazing film.

You mention every category except for Visual Effects which I think deserved the most for it. Could be the simple fact that the movie wasn't pushed as much, even though Watts got a nod.

You mention every category except for Visual Effects which I think deserved the most for it. Could be the simple fact that the movie wasn't pushed as much, even though Watts got a nod.

LOL, I seem to forget to mention it. It deserved the nomination even more after I found out that most of the tsunami is not Visual effect, but all special effects. Oh, and Original Score. The second best of the year after Life of Pi.

CHECK THIS OUT

before.1323.jpg

after.1323.jpg

Tank_CIMG1120.jpg

before.1067.jpg

after.1067.jpg

before.1678.jpg

after.1678.jpg

Model_MG_5358.jpg

Last edited:
Incredible behind the scenes pics. I really enjoyed the The Impossible although I would've enjoyed it more if they didn't Whitewash the main cast. That being said, I still enjoyed all of the performances.

Sometimes I really do not understand the Academy. The Impossible was absolutely amazing film, that deserved nominations for Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Film Editing, Supporting Actor for tom Holland, Best Director and Best Picture. Why are those films always overlooked.

How...how is Alan Arkin Best in Argo? He is just Alan Arkin, he did nothing special with that role, but just because it's him and its Arho they gave him a nomination. Stupid.

Tom Holland in my opinion is the best Supporting performance of the year.
Yay! :woot: The Impossible is my favorite movie of the year, period.

I actually think Tom Holland deserved to be nominated in the best leading actor, he was on more than Ewan McGregor, who sould have been in the supporting category.

I'm happy to see some love and appreciation for this film, i really hope more people go see it, because it's such a powerful and beautiful movie :yay:

We can give some love to The Impossible thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=336507

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"