91st Annual Academy Awards

They are a big part of the reason Solo flopped. You can love schadenfreude, but your petty doesn't matter to them. Especially when you consider Into the Spider-Verse has made less money then Solo.
Umm... what? Pretty sure Disney and Ron Howard re-shot like half the movie after they left. We have no idea what their version would have been like. Sure, it could have been bad, but going through their track record I'm not so sure it would have been that black-and-white.

And how is Into The Spider-Verse making less money than Solo indicative of its quality?
Their names aren't even on the final product. I highly doubt the general audience tends to keep up with all the drama that goes on behind the scenes of the movies they watch. The Last Jedi's audience score on Rotten Tomatoes isn't very great. It is possible that the audience wasn't very satisfied the previous movie and that's why it was a flop.

This is great for Lord and Miller and I wish them well. I don't see how it confirms it was wrong to fire them from Star Wars though. Not everyone is a good fit for every project. Many of my favourite talents I do not want anywhere near films in the pipeline that I'm anticipating.
Yeah. I mean, Alfonso Cuarón is my #1 fave, and if it were announced tomorrow that he would be helming a new Superman flick, I’d be hyped as hell of course, but also with a slight degree of nervousness because I can easily imagine a scenario where that goes terribly wrong because his sensibilities are not really such an obvious fit for Supes.

Their names aren't even on the final product. I highly doubt the general audience tends to keep up with all the drama that goes on behind the scenes of the movies they watch. The Last Jedi's audience score on Rotten Tomatoes isn't very great. It is possible that the audience wasn't very satisfied the previous movie and that's why it was a flop.
They got executive producer credits. They are in the credits, but yeah.

1127271647.jpg

VF_OSCAR_2019_JB_190224_CARD_06_1182.jpg

VF_OSCAR_2019_JB_190224_CARD_05_0958.jpg

VF_OSCAR_2019_JB_190224_CARD_06_1141.jpg

20190224_VF_Oscars_2127.jpg

VF_OSCAR_2019_JB_190224_CARD_06_1105.jpg

Yeah. I mean, Alfonso Cuarón is my #1 fave, and if it were announced tomorrow that he would be helming a new Superman flick, I’d be hyped as hell of course, but also with a slight degree of nervousness because I can easily imagine a scenario where that goes terribly wrong because his sensibilities are not really such an obvious fit for Supes.
FC making us all look bad with her favorites. :argh:

I am a Lord and Miller fan, I was hyped for them to be attached. But the stories about what happen, even if only 1/10th are true, kind of show they probably needed to be removed. I actually think LF wanted it to really work, which is why it came so late. So it isn't like LF didn't try.

I feel like James McAvoy would be a ridiculously fun drunk.

I wonder if Vin Diesel and Steven Spielberg did any catching up (Steve looks lost in that pic, lol). I’m still irrationally annoyed that Vin didn’t voice the Iron Giant in Ready Player One.

Last edited:
They'll do a background scrub on whoever they want tho. I say just get somebody from SNL to do it.

Think they'll have a host next year?

I kinda think they have to. The general mood for this year I've seen ranges from bored to indifferent. I haven't seen one person say it was a great show. Ratings are up but not nearly enough to suggest the ceremony is out of the danger area.

Imagine the Oscar outrage if Black Panther had a best supporting actor nomination and it was for Martin Freeman or Andy Serkis!

I have a feeling Close will never win. :(

We haven't seen the last of her at the Oscars, and she'll probably be back with a better film and a performance more deserving of the win.

Close was great in The Wife, but Colman deserved to win this year.

Side note: I saw Glenn Close on Broadway last year in Sunset Boulevard and she was unreal.

Imagine the Oscar outrage if Black Panther had a best supporting actor nomination and it was for Martin Freeman or Andy Serkis!

If only there was more Serkis in the movie. Marvel has a habit of wasting opportunities to create really good villains and that was one of them.

Funnily enough, Adam Driver got the acting nod for Blackkklansman over John David Washington and there wasn’t that much outrage (at least from what I’ve seen).

If only there was more Serkis in the movie. Marvel has a habit of wasting opportunities to create really good villains and that was one of them.

Oh, I was hoping Klaw would become BP's arch enemy like in the comics and he'd get his red sonic form. Maybe he can come back from the dead.

Funnily enough, Adam Driver got the acting nod for Blackkklansman over John David Washington and there wasn’t that much outrage (at least from what I’ve seen).

Was Blackkkklansman an entirely black cast like BP?

I kinda think they have to. The general mood for this year I've seen ranges from bored to indifferent. I haven't seen one person say it was a great show. Ratings are up but not nearly enough to suggest the ceremony is out of the danger area.

I think the opposite, and that the ratings will only embolden them to continue on being host-less next year. Their ultimate goal was always to cut down the show length and to boost ratings, both of which they achieved this year.

Personally, I agree that the overall show was mostly boring and fairly business-like throughout without a host. I missed the show being more focused on the love and celebration of movies/filmmaking, some of which comes from sporadic parody/satire and someone being there point out the ridiculousness and hilarity of it all -- referencing the various things that had pop culture impact. Instead of opening the show with a montage or segment that spoofs or parodies the films of the past year, we got Adam Lambert singing Queen songs. Tina Fey’s crew helped to lighten things up at the start, but there wasn’t much else like that afterwards.

I do think they can find a way to liven up the show next year while remaining host-less. Inject a few more moments of levity with brief segments or bits with the presenters, focus more on the movies than the music, and try once again to do the impossible — keep the acceptance speeches as short as possible for the non-major awards.

Also, this might be a hot take, but if there are any specific award give-outs that should be trimmed or condensed, it’s the 3 short film categories. I know they are important categories — especially for the people who made them — but for virtually anyone watching from home, they just don’t hold the same importance or level of interest as most of the other awards. Not saying they should be cut completely, but maybe find a way to splice the 3 categories together quickly, or announce the winners without presenters and/or use short pre-taped acceptance speeches that can run consecutively or at different points in the night. Just seems like they could easily trim up 10 minutes from the show by doing something like this, and I also don’t think it would cause a revolt within the Academy.

Honestly, the music was the best part of the show.

Yeah I'm good on not seeing musical acts. Outside of maybe Lady Gaga, they were all dragging the momentum of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"