• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

92nd Annual Academy Awards

Has anyone watched both 1917 and Parasite ? How are they compare in terms of directing ?

Seriously Bong won Best Director is a bigger upset than Parasite won Best Picture

Has anyone watched both 1917 and Parasite ? How are they compare in terms of directing ?

Seriously Bong won Best Director is a bigger upset than Parasite won Best Picture

I've seen both. On a technical and directing level, yeah I'd give the edge to 1917 just because, well, the one-shot style makes it feel more immersive and stands out among the nominees. That's not to take anything away from Parasite by any means because it's a well-directed film, but I can acknowledge and see what Mendes brought to 1917 on a directorial level.

This Oscar was good. Another! Well-deserved win for Parasite, even if in biased towards Jojo Rabbit (which I knew wouldn't win). And, about that, well-deserved recognition to Filmmaker Supreme Taika Waititi. Best Oscar in a very long while.

Parasite is a great film so I'm perfectly happy with this result.

So has Joker officially become the most Oscar bait role ever? Two wins to the character's name.

I have seen all the BP nominees. Parasite stood out to me in every way. The "one-take" thing is impressive on the technical front to be sure, but there's more to directing than "what's the biggest challenge?" 1917 was a great experience, but it didn't move me or challenge me as a viewer like Parasite did. The direction was instrumental in achieving that, and what Bong Joon Ho did was a total masterclass, imo.

Who knew it took some unexpected turns to make the Oscars interesting? All without a host, too. Not to say that if Mendes walked away with the Best Director and Best Picture Oscars that it'd be dull, but Parasite getting not just one, but both of those wins- I don't think many can say they called that, even if they were knee deep in Parasite's corner.

More than that, it seems to be a win that most agree on, compared to the more, shall we say mixed reaction that Green Book got last year. That said, I haven't seen Green Book, so I can't speak to its quality.

Parasite is a great film so I'm perfectly happy with this result.

So has Joker officially become the most Oscar bait role ever? Two wins to the character's name.

oKZPSTp.jpg

Was just thinking the only other time for two wins by different actors for the same character was Vito. I struggle to think of any others.

Maybe Leto will strike a nomination for the quite 90s looking film Morbius?

Question to all of ye, what to you is the biggest oscar decision screw up you’ve ever seen?

I've seen them and both are directed really well. Hard to compare them because they're different movies, but I will say that Parasite is a more subtle and multi-layered movie, with some hidden meanings for a Korean (or Korean-American) audience. 1917 is a more straightforward movie that doesn't have any of Parasite's subtlety or nuance, but is a more obvious technical marvel in a lot of ways, from the one-take shot approach, to the cinematography, and sound editing/mixing.

I've seen 6/9 nominees.
Jojo Rabbit is the one I liked most. But the best ones are Marriage Story and Parasite. They're tied.

The Irishman is a solid film, but I definitely think it's weaker than other Scorcese's work. So I put it at number 4.

Joker is a fine movie with a great performance. But it's at a distance 5 for me. Way below the above 4.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is pure **** in my opinion. Far down at the bottom

Question to all of ye, what to you is the biggest oscar decision screw up you’ve ever seen?

Sean Penn winning Best Actor for Milk over Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler. Penn was good, I'm not taking that away from him, but I really feel like if the whole Proposition 8 stuff in California hadn't been going on, Penn wouldn't have had that win and I think all the talk over gay marriage helped push the needle in his direction. Like the Oscar wanted some brownie points for that particular year.

Whereas with Rourke, I not only thought he had the stronger performance, it was his big comeback.

I wouldn't have nominated Joker or Once Upon a Time....in Hollywood but I liked them both so it's no skin off my nose.

Need to give some love and major major shoutout to the incredibly underrated and completely ignored Honeyboy. Shia was tour de force in that movie and the amount of passion he put into that screenplay and performance was immense. Sad to see it get totally ignored

I was just about to bring that movie up, because I feel the exact same way about it, but yeah talk about a shut out. Shia really gave an amazing performance in that movie and his scenes alone are why it ended up in my top 10 of the year. As much as I would have loved to see Sandler, Murphy, Pattinson or Dafoe get some awards recognition Shia deserved it the most IMO, because that's how much his performance stood out in that movie.

Parasite's Bong Joon-ho Tied Walt Disney for Most Oscar Wins in One Night - IGN

Bong Joo-ho took home four Oscars tonight - for Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, and Best International Feature Film. In doing do he tied the record for most single night wins with...Walt Disney.

Disney too brought home four Oscars back in 1954 - for The Living Desert (Best Documentary Feature), The Alaskan Eskimo (Best Documentary Short), Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom (Best Short Subject Cartoon), and Bear Country (Best Short Subject Two-Reel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"