93rd Annual Academy Awards

If the Tonys can go on with a single nominee for Best Actor in a Musical, then the Oscars can manage with only three VFX noms.
Slightly OT but I'm stressed for Aaron Tveidt in that Tony's category. What if he doesn't get 60% of the vote? What does it do to you mentally if you are the only nominee and STILL can't win?

But back to VFX, they could do 3 nominees or let some smaller films with VFX on a lighter budget shine. They'll be fine.

The Ma Rainey trailer is out. Can't link for language, but it looks every bit as great as expected.

Netflix confirmed they are campaigning Boseman in Lead for Ma Rainey.

So get ready for Hopkins vs Boseman.

This will be an interesting battle. I just fear that voting is more influenced of political issues (old, white, straigt man vs. iconic black icon) then the best/more impressive performance. Hopkins reviews are outstanding and that is not overstated. I cant wait to see those.

The Father was able to PVOD but only for Americans today.

That's... surprising. Lead is a much stiffer contest, and the role would traditionally be seen as Supporting in the original theatrical source. But yeah, this definitely throws Oldman's hopes under the bus, it's Hopkins vs. Boseman now.

This also means that Leslie Odom Jr. has a good chance at taking his next step towards EGOT status.

^That trailer doesn't interest me at all but I'm glad Helena Zengel is getting such a high profile role. She was fantastic in System Crasher.

Initial reviews of Hillbilly Elegy are in. Ouch.

I think we can be crossing that one out of the race for Oscars.

I think there's an argument for him having more misses as a director than hits.

I honestly can‘t remember watching a bad movie from Ron Howard...ok maybe Inferno (but the book was already awful)

Top Tier Contender for Best Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor, Director and Adapted Screenplay noms. Leslie Odom Jr. is the current favorite in Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Sam Cooke.

Netflix's 'Malcolm & Marie,' With Zendaya and John David Washington, Drops Into Oscar Race (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

lIhZALH.jpg

I can't wait to see how the Academy will go out their way to not let Netflix get Best Picture.
That is an advantage Nomadland has. It's the only frontrunner not from Netflix or Amazon.

(That said, though, IMO Roma is the only instance of a Netflix film getting snubbed, and I feel like that had more to do with Green Book's "make white people feel good about themselves" effect than the streaming bias. If we REALLY want to talk about a bias, then the Academy's bizarre beef with A24 is right there.)

Are there still calls for the Oscars to be canceled? Because I would think that if it was going to be canceled, it would have done so already.

Are there still calls for the Oscars to be canceled? Because I would think that if it was going to be canceled, it would have done so already.
They might as well just do it remotely like the Emmys.

If they’re going to have the Oscars, I’d have assumed it would be remotely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"