95th Annual Academy Awards

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
p1ctfe4.jpg

Well, that was a wild and unforgettable night. Time to move on to the next year's Oscars (if they're still around by then)...

Here are some noteworthy movies coming this year with potential Oscar buzz:

Babylon
“Babylon” delves into the early years of Hollywood’s Golden Age, set in the 1920s during the movie industry’s transition from silent films to talkies.
Director: Damien Chazelle
Cast: Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Olivia Wilde, Tobey Maguire, Samara Weaving, Katherine Waterston, Jean Smart

Killers of the Flower Moon
Members of the Osage tribe in the United States are murdered under mysterious circumstances in the 1920s sparking a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.
Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jesse Plemons, Robert De Niro, Lily Gladstone, Brendan Fraser, John Lithgow

She Said
New York Times reporters Megan Twohey and Jodi Kantor break one of the most important stories in a generation — a story that helped launch the #MeToo movement and shattered decades of silence around the subject of sexual assault in Hollywood.
Director: Maria Schrader
Cast: Carey Mulligan, Zoe Kazan, Tom Pelphrey, Samantha Morton, Andre Braugher

The Fabelmans
A semi-autobiography based on Spielberg's own childhood growing up in post-war Arizona, from age seven to eighteen.
Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Paul Dano, Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Julia Butters, David Lynch

Women Talking
A group of women in an isolated Mennonite religious colony in Bolivia as they struggle to reconcile their faith with a string of sexual assaults committed by the colony's men.
Director: Sarah Polley
Cast: Jessie Buckley, Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Frances McDormand, Ben Whishaw

Emancipation

A runaway slave forges through the swamps of Louisiana on a tortuous journey to escape plantation owners that nearly killed him.
Director: Antoine Fuqua
Cast: Will Smith, Ben Foster, Steven Ogg, Mustafa Shakir, Charmaine Bingwa

Blonde
A fictionalized chronicle of the inner life of Marilyn Monroe.
Director: Andrew Dominik
Cast: Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson, Rebecca Wisocky, Bobby Cannavale

Poor Things
The film will be a Victorian tale of love, discovery and scientific daring, Poor Things tells the incredible story of Belle Baxter, a young woman brought back to life by an eccentric but brilliant scientist.
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Cast: Mark Ruffalo, Emma Stone, Willem Dafoe, Christopher Abbott, Margaret Qualley, Ramy Youssef

Disappointment Blvd
A decades-spanning portrait of one of the most successful entrepreneurs of all time.
Director: Ari Aster
Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Parker Posey, Amy Ryan, Michael Gandolfini, Nathan Lane

White Noise
Follows a year in the life of Jack Gladney, a professor who has made his name by pioneering the field of Hitler studies.
Director: Noah Baumbach
Cast: Jodie Turner-Smith, Adam Driver, Alessandro Nivola, Greta Gerwig, Raffey Cassidy, Don Cheadle

The Banshees of Inisherin
A pair of lifelong friends on a remote Irish island find themselves at an awkward time in their relationship when one of them no longer wants to be friends.
Director: Martin McDonagh
Cast: Barry Keoghan, Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon

Untitled David O. Russell film
A doctor and a lawyer form an unlikely partnership.
Director: David O. Russell
Cast: Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, John David Washington, Rami Malek, Zoe Saldana, Robert De Niro, Mike Myers, Michael Shannon, Timothy Olyphant, Chris Rock, Anya Taylor-Joy, Andrea Riseborough

Next Goal Wins
Adaptation of the 2014 British soccer documentary which follows Dutch coach Thomas Rongen who attempts the nearly impossible task of turning the American Samoa soccer team from perennial losers into winners.
Director: Taika Waititi
Cast: Elisabeth Moss, Michael Fassbender, Frankie Adams, Rhys Darby

Red, White and Water
A US soldier suffers a traumatic brain injury while fighting in Afghanistan and struggles to adjust to life back home.
Director: Lila Neugebauer
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Samira Wiley, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Brian Tyree Henry

Cha Cha Real Smooth
A young man who works as a Bar Mitzvah party host strikes up a friendship with a mother and her autistic daughter.
Director: Cooper Raiff
Cast: Cooper Raiff, Dakota Johnson, Evan Assante

Rustin
Gay, civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who organized the 1963 March on Washington.
Director: George C. Wolfe
Cast: Colman Domingo, Jeffrey Wright, Audra McDonald, Bill Irwin

Decision to Leave
A detective investigating a man's death in the mountains meets the dead man's mysterious wife in the course of his dogged sleuthing.
Director: Park Chan-wook
Cast: Tang Wei, Go Kyung-Pyo, Park Hae-il

The Son
Peter as his busy life with new partner Emma and their baby is thrown into disarray when his ex-wife Kate turns up with their teenage son, Nicholas.
Director: Florian Zeller
Cast: Hugh Jackman, Vanessa Kirby, Anthony Hopkins, Laura Dern

Pinocchio
A darker version of the classic children's fairy tale of a wooden puppet that transforms into a real living boy.
Director: Guillermo del Toro & Mark Gustafson
Cast: Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ewan McGregor, Finn Wolfhard

I Wanna Dance With Somebody
The joyous, emotional and heart-breaking celebration of the life and music of Whitney Houston, the greatest female R&B pop vocalist of all time. Tracking her journey from obscurity to musical super stardom
Director: Kasi Lemmons
Cast: Naomi Ackie, Stanley Tucci, Tamara Tunie, Clarke Peters, Ashton Sanders

Last edited:
I can already tell the academy cant resist to not nominate Babylon for best picture with this description alone. :funny: While Rustin will play the black and the gay card at once to get nominated, She Said have the female empowerment path for the nomination. I wonder whats this season technical/audience pleaser will be.

Im looking forward to Best Actress this year. I think its the year of Margot Robbie. Carey Mulligans movie is too close to "Proming Young Woman", while I doubt Lanthimos will nail another academy acclaimed movie to push Emma Stone. Ana De Armas is save for a nomination, I think Naomie Ackie has decent chances as well. The cast of Women Talking is just.. :hrt::hrt::hrt: Buckley back-to-back nomination could be too wonderful to be true.

Babylon
Emancipation
Killers of the Flower Moon
Rustin
She Said
The Fabelmans
The Son
Untitled David O. Russell Film
White Noise

Best Picture for a CBM is always a long shot, but I’d sure like to see Greig Fraser go 2-for-2.

This is just hopeful thinking but Paul Dano earned a Best Supporting Actor nomination for The Batman. That monologue he did in Arkham Asylum and hell his overall Riddler was chilling.

I really hope that 'Rustin' turns out to be actually good and not just a generic biopic, because Coleman Domingo and Jeffrey Wright deserve Oscar love.

Just what we need. People who make movies giving an award to other people who make movies for a movie about people who make movies.
It's Damian Chazelle tho.

I feel like The Batman coming out so early this year will hurt its chances for several awards.

I just don't think it's a player outside of tech awards, regardless of its release date. I love the movie dearly, but unless this turns out to be an extremely weak year I can't see it cracking top 10. I mean right off the bat you've got:

A new Spielberg film
A new Scorsese film
A new David O. Russell film
A new Damian Chazelle film
A new Noah Baumbach film

But then again, I didn't think Dune was a top-10 movie last year either. But I would argue that Denis Villeneuve has more industry clout than Matt Reeves at this juncture.

The Batman can easy get these 6 nominations: Cinematography, Production Design, Sound, Visual Effects, Makeup, Score.

Also have a shot at Film Editing.

I just realized Emancipation is also coming out this year with Will Smith and the David O. Russell film also has Chris Rock.

JealousCarefreeIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif

If stuff like Lightyear under performs now that that got political along with everything else that is Disney Disney is gonna need Avatar 2
What? If the sequel is anything like the first Avatar then it's going to be way more political than Lightyear. Having a same sex couple in Lightyear doesn't make it political. A pro-environment movie with an anti-war message on the other hand?

Like the Star Wars OT & PT its in world fake in universe political. Theres nothing real world about alien planets & going there & what not
I guess you were too distracted by the 3D to notice the blatant pro-environment, anti-war and anti-colonialism messages in the first movie.

After having to ban the same guy four times since Monday, I'd suggest just ignoring and reporting any brand new accounts running right into either Academy Award threads.

After having to ban the same guy four times since Monday, I'd suggest just ignoring and reporting any brand new accounts running right into either Academy Award threads.
Usually I just ignore but that comment was too stupid even for me. :o

TNT and TBS Will No Longer Air SAG Awards – The Hollywood Reporter

TNT and TBS will no longer air the SAG Awards.

The annual awards show launched on NBC in 1995 but has aired on TNT since 1998, and TBS has simulcast it in recent years. This year, the SAG Awards returned to a live in-person event at Santa Monica’s Barker Hangar. Previously, the show had been based at Los Angeles’ Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall since 1997.

This year’s show, which saw CODA take home the best ensemble prize, scored 1.8 million viewers across TNT and TBS, an increase from the previous year which saw 957,000 total viewers.

It is unclear where the annual awards show will land.

It's always hard at this point, but I'd say EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, ALL AT ONCE definitely has a shot at nominations for Best Actress, Original Screenplay, and Editing. Especially as it's considered something of a hit. It's just a matter of whether the Academy's memory goes back that far.

I've seen an early screening of CHA CHA REAL SMOOTH and while I think it's not the next CODA, a supporting actress nomination for Dakota Johnson is not out of the realm of possibility. Especially as Apple has the bucks to mount a campaign and it will be watched on Apple TV.

A question that will come up is whether or not MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON will be considered animated or not as it's clearly a mix. It's very good, kind of finding a groove between Aardman and Studio Ghibli, but I wouldn't argue too much either way as far as eligibility. It might not stand up the Pixar/Disney beast anyways.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Everything Everywhere All At Once has a shot at some Oscar nominations especially when fall hits. It just seems like the par for the course for these smaller indie movies that got released early in the year. It's definitely the front runner in the Indie Spirit awards though.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Everything Everywhere All At Once has a shot at some Oscar nominations especially when fall hits. It just seems like the par for the course for these smaller indie movies that got released early in the year. It's definitely the front runner in the Indie Spirit awards though.

Oh I definitely think there's a strong possibility that it came out too early in the year, but I think Michelle Yeoh is enough of an international icon that there's a chance that it will be remembered. Plus it's likely to have a good life on home video.

Original Screenplay is often a thin category recently which should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"