95th Annual Academy Awards

Honestly, Supporting Actress was very competitive and there was never a real clear-cut frontrunner.

Golden Globe - Bassett
BAFTA - Condon
SAG - Curtis

Nevermind the genre bias against superhero films. Condon and Curtis were in stronger films. It was always going to be tough for Bassett.

I'm gonna try to rewatch each of the acting winners in the first films I saw them in.
MV5BMTgwMjE3Mzg4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQxODU5._V1_.jpg

Tomorrow-Never-Dies.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

MV5BNWFhNzFhNjgtZmIxNi00YTI0LTgwMDEtMTQ1MjJlY2UxZjMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXBrZWVzZXk@._V1_.jpg

Somewhat related, but how often does Best Actress get the penultimate presentation at the Oscars? I thought it was cool that Michelle got to be the one to close the acting categories.
They've rearranged the order in recent years, most notoriously when they saved Best Actor as the last award of the night two years ago because they assumed Chadwick Boseman would win.

most notoriously when they saved Best Actor as the last award of the night two years ago because they assumed Chadwick Boseman would win.
Still cringe over that debacle to this day.

Anthony Hopkins wasn't there to accept the award (not even a pre-recorded speech), and Joaquin Phoenix couldn't even pretend to care. Then the show just ended.

A complete disaster, and if I were Boseman's family I would've been both furious and humiliated.

Last edited:
The Curtis win was probably the most disappointing one of the night for me. No offense to her, but it was clearly more for her career than her role in EEAAO specifically. I think most people would agree it should have gone to Bassett or Hsu. The only consolation is that Hsu is young so she’s got plenty of time to get another nomination and possible win (same with Butler). The other winners were pretty predictable.

To be honest, both Curits and Bassett were nominated for their careers and not their roles in each of their movies.

Hsu was better than both of them.

After that 'anonymous Oscar voters' article in Variety came out, I had a feeling in my gut it wasn't going to be in the cards for Angela Bassett. Judging by the way they talked about Viola Davis and Gina Prince-Bythewood, it's just the same ol' song in Hollywood with their mentality towards black creatives.

But Bassett aside, I'm still wondering how the hell could you watch EEAO, be a voter and watch the firebrand that was Stephanie Hsu and STILL give the award to Jamie Lee Curtis?

Please.

To be honest, both Curits and Bassett were nominated for their careers and not their roles in each of their movies.

Hsu was better than both of them.

I think the performance Bassett gave in BP2 specifically was worth the nomination. Her performance was better than the movie itself (and I liked Wakanda Forever). The opposite is true (in my opinion of course) with Curtis’ performance and EEAAO. Hsu was the case where I think her performance was just as good as the movie. So yeah, it would have been nice if she won. I don’t think anyone would complain about that.

Haven't seen EEAAO yet so can't comment on Curtis' win, but limited screentime doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't win compared to others. That seems to be the criticism I'm seeing with her and Hsu.

Look at William Hurt in A History of Violence; even though he was literally only in it for a couple of minutes (at the very end, not even interspersed throughout the film) it's still a role burned into my mind. He was absolutely amazing and deserved his win.

Again planning on watching tonight so I could be back here fuming. I was rooting for Condon anyway so have no horse in the race anyway.

Screentime is an old (unnecessary) complaint... Heath's Joker and Hopkin's Hannibal defeat that argument every time.

I found Condon to be the most impressive. Her emotional range and her ability to play both comedic and dramatic seamlessly in one take was very impressive.

Last edited:
There was a screen time complaint with Joker?

My first time hearing that too.

But I read that if you clock his screentime, Anthony Hopkins was only in Silence of the Lambs for about 15 minutes. That’s wild lol.

Brendan Fraser trending with 342K tweets.

Not quite understanding the supposed Joker complaint. Ledger appropriately won Best Supporting Actor. Hopkins won Leading Actor with (I think) less screen time. The two are not comparable.

Congrats @Kane52630 for winning the Oscars Pick 'Em! I'm still kicking myself for picking Maverick over EEAAO in the Editing category.

There shouldn't be. He's got 25 minutes of screentime in TDK, the most of any character besides Batman.
:handshake: Hold My Hand, though. :wink:

Oh I thought you guys were talking about Joaquin Phoenix Joker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"