a great listen about X3

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
But Halle could have at least tried, something she never did.

She got to fly in X-Men: The Last Stand, and she thought that her character finally had some meaning, when her character was probably the most out of character of any of the 3 films.

Look, trust me, I do put the fair share of blame on the writing, because none of the writing teams gave her the right material to work with...

But she also just didn't do a good job with what she was given in any of the 3 movies. What one of the DVD reviews said, was perfect. And I quote:

"It's amazing how the character of Storm simply doesn't work well, but considering it's been two directors and a host of writers so far and just one actress, it might just be her fault."

And I totally agree.

Halle might not have always had the proper material, but she just wasn't the right person for the part to begin with.

Out of all the characters in the trilogy, she is the ONLY one in which I see the actor, and not the character, when I'm watching these films.
I agree with you in some parts, Halle isnt a great/wonderful/the-best-of actress, I don't think she will ever be able to pull off a strong, self-confident and motherly Storm. But what i say is: i don't see any other actress in Hollywood who could do this perfectly. It's just too hard to portray Storm, both to writers and to actresses. She's too powerful, too wise, too beautiful. And we all have that image of her as a 5'11'', blue-eyed, black woman with caucasian lines who is always wise and never backs down. Halle does have the "black woman with caucasian traces" part, but that isnt enough. This is why i like X1 Storm the most. If Halle could make the X1 Storm less shy, stronger and self-confident, she would be near perfection.

But there always could be. I never thought Famke Janssen would make a perfect Jean, and i didnt like her in X1. But, She was wise and she made her own Jean Grey. We can see some aspects from comic Jean, but Famke's character is almost totally different, yet a great, if not better, version of Jean.

So, yes, Halle might not be the best choice, but i dont see Anna and Famke as the best choices for their respective characters too. Yet, these two made their own characters. Movie Rogue and Jean are totally different, yet they are Rogue and Jean. Halle just didnt make her own Storm, the character is too...souless...and i have to agree its Halle's fault. What i hope is, if she went near in X1, with a proper direction and good lines, she can get near again. Never perfect (who would be?) but close enough.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
But Halle could have at least tried, something she never did.

She got to fly in X-Men: The Last Stand, and she thought that her character finally had some meaning, when her character was probably the most out of character of any of the 3 films.

Look, trust me, I do put the fair share of blame on the writing, because none of the writing teams gave her the right material to work with...

But she also just didn't do a good job with what she was given in any of the 3 movies. What one of the DVD reviews said, was perfect. And I quote:

"It's amazing how the character of Storm simply doesn't work well, but considering it's been two directors and a host of writers so far and just one actress, it might just be her fault."

And I totally agree.

Halle might not have always had the proper material, but she just wasn't the right person for the part to begin with.

Out of all the characters in the trilogy, she is the ONLY one in which I see the actor, and not the character, when I'm watching these films.

I completely agree with you and it's simply because the actress is, unfortunately, stuck in her own igo, to the detriment of not just her role, but everyone else involved. That completely blocks her ability to actually portray a character decently because all she's thinking about is how this looks and how much screentime she's getting... she's not actually doing her job of simplly portraying the character to the best of her knowledge and abilities which would have, in the long run, solved the problem entirely - that way, she would have been given more screentime anyway because underneath all the bull **** I'm sure if she had had the right attitude and put in the right effort from the beginning, she really could have brought the character to life. As it is, like you said, everytime Storm looks up, or has an opinion, or does something that's supposed to be meaningful, especially in the third one, all I see is Halle thinking 'what's the best way to do this?' She's really not acting at all. She looks friggin ridiculous.

This is actually a pretty objective, in-depth review. These guys should be commended, they're giving us the viewpoints of movie critics who aren't intimately familiar with the X-Men universe.

liamoversion2 said:
I completely agree with you and it's simply because the actress is, unfortunately, stuck in her own igo, to the detriment of not just her role, but everyone else involved. That completely blocks her ability to actually portray a character decently because all she's thinking about is how this looks and how much screentime she's getting... she's not actually doing her job of simplly portraying the character to the best of her knowledge and abilities which would have, in the long run, solved the problem entirely - that way, she would have been given more screentime anyway because underneath all the bull **** I'm sure if she had had the right attitude and put in the right effort from the beginning, she really could have brought the character to life. As it is, like you said, everytime Storm looks up, or has an opinion, or does something that's supposed to be meaningful, especially in the third one, all I see is Halle thinking 'what's the best way to do this?' She's really not acting at all. She looks friggin ridiculous.

Wow, this new line of Nell's anti-Halle tirade has taken a new low.

A part is only as good as the written material. Those crap writters didn't give a rats ass about Storm in the trilogy, and it shows. Whendon who was a writer in X1 blamed Halle for that ****ty line from Storm to Toad. WTF! Did he blame Singer for theawful direction, or did he cope up to his terrible writting, no. Why didn't Singer cut the line and just show Storm walking away? Apprently both men let their distaste for Halle get in the way of production.

Could you see another black actress putting up with this empty pointless role? Nope. Imagine Bassett or Iman (who can't act for crap) saying those lines in the first two movies, it would have been just as awful. That part was someone saying "Hey look, um maybe we should have her do more than stand in the back in a tight white shirt. Lets have her pretend to get involved. No big deal." Had everything gone Singer's way, Storm wouldn't have been in X3 4 or 5.

That's Halle's biggest mistake. She took the role in the first place. Storm in the X-men movies was NOTHING more than the token minority in a film about accpeting diversety. It would have looked morally hypocrticial for the story to be told with out at least one non-caucasion character.

And who better to play that part than an actress who is widely used a black figurative landmark than Halle. This was before the oscar, right when she scored that huge Revolon deal. Singer only used Halle's skill in drama once in X2 with Nightcralwer, and she had one in character line in X1. Storm was Storm when she told Wolverine to make a choice. That's it. That is the ONLY time she remotely resembled the uncanny character. It goes to show that alot of you naysayers don't know Halle's skills no do you know the character well at all. Had Storm actually had a part that paralled Halle's skill (which are situated with drama) we wouldn't be debating this back and forth.

I find it odd that people are willing to aceppt that in X1 Rogue took the niave, everygirl, Wolverine's sidekick role when that should have gone to Kitty, and Jean being a Doctor, a gene theropist nonetheless, when it should have been Moria. Again it's ok people because don't have anything against Famke ( who has had her parts in blockbuster disaters ie: I Spy), and same goes for Paquin, who has had her oscar far longer and couldn't keep up with her accent as well.

These anti-Halle tirads are losing steam and getting old fast. Once someone proves that Halle was truly detrimental to the films, I'll shut up. But the fact of the matter is Halle generated buzz and sold that maketing campaign insanely well. Also she headlines the movie and it's a 450 million dollar gross.

Cry and whine all you want. If there's a sequel get those tissues ready cause her importance to the franchise will only increase. And maybe, just maybe so will the character.

I dont think Halle is that great of an actress for Storm. I dont think shes a great actress period. I mean i love storm i just hate halle. I mean I dont think shes that great of an actress to have an oscar.

ThE_PhOeNiX said:
I dont think Halle is that great of an actress for Storm. I dont think shes a great actress period. I mean i love storm i just hate halle. I mean I dont think shes that great of an actress to have an oscar.

That's the thing, I actually think she's got talent... I've definitely seen her in other roles where she shows some real ability. But in X-men she's not playing any part, she walks onto the set and plays herself... it's like she's playing 'regular American lady'. She simply does not attempt to exhibit the psychology of someone who can control the weather with her mind... for one thing...

and I don't really blams the writing... I mean she influenced the way the character was written in the third one!!! She had just as much power as Jackman ... when she threatened not to reprise her role, I'm sure they basically gave her anything she friggin well wanted... totally ridiculous behaviour for adults... You'd seriously think some of these people can't function in the real world

They don't call it Hollyweird f'r nuthin'.

Goddessreicho said:
I find it odd that people are willing to aceppt that in X1 Rogue took the niave, everygirl, Wolverine's sidekick role when that should have gone to Kitty, and Jean being a Doctor, a gene theropist nonetheless, when it should have been Moria. Again it's ok people because don't have anything against Famke ( who has had her parts in blockbuster disaters ie: I Spy), and same goes for Paquin, who has had her oscar far longer and couldn't keep up with her accent as well.

Rogue wasn't portrayed as the naive, everyday girl in the films to the extent that Kitty Pryde was in the source material. They're pretty different characters. Rogue's situation is kind of a combination of sorts. Given the time period in which X-Men was first being developed, I don't see why there would be much demand for Kitty Pryde. And in actuality, Kitty Pryde isn't Wolverine's trusty sidekick so much as Jubilee is, but I don't expect Jubilee to be rescuing a crucified Wolverine in the outback of Australia anytime soon (so much for that). If anything, Storm is the X-Man Kitty looks up to the most, and nothing points to the contrary that this relationship couldn't be portrayed properly.

Portions of Jean Grey's role shouldn't have been replaced by Moira MacTaggert. They should have been replaced by Beast, but it was made clear that Beast couldn't be included due to budgetary constraints.

It's pretty easy to see why they introduced Rogue's plight instead of Kitty's. Rogue's mutation has always posed a much more interesting and serious issue. What's so scary about being able to phase through walls? Nothing. In fact, it's pretty cool.

BMM said:
It's pretty easy to see why they introduced Rogue's plight instead of Kitty's. Rogue's mutation has always posed a much more interesting and serious issue. What's so scary about being able to phase through walls? Nothing. In fact, it's pretty cool.

That depends. You could be stuck phased because you can't control it, and then end up sickly and starving because you can't eat.

ntcrawler said:
That depends. You could be stuck phased because you can't control it, and then end up sickly and starving because you can't eat.

Haha. Fair enough. Okay, based on the character's actual struggles via the source material, there isn't much. She had a couple of headaches and that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"