A Spider-Woman film?

No thanks. That looks like an incredibly generic catsuit costume compared to her original, which was one of the best female costumes in comics. What does she need guns for anyway when she has her venom blasts?

No thanks. That looks like an incredibly generic catsuit costume compared to her original, which was one of the best female costumes in comics. What does she need guns for anyway when she has her venom blasts?
246483-114580-spider-woman.jpg

Also, I spoke to many female non comic readers (well not really spoke to, but I was wearing my Marvel Civil War shirt and they automatically brought up Spider-Woman) and they said how horrible and offensive they thought her costume was. It sort of was just highlight her breasts they thought. So I was trying to make it less offensive to non comic readers and also if you are a secret covert agent and not a superhero, like my idea has her and how I think she was portrayed in a few solo comics, she wouldn't wear a skin tight spandex suit like that. It works in the comics, but not in real life. And I was also trying to separate her from Spider-Man.
Civil_War_Files_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg

lens9491411_1279909489spider-woman-marvel-comic

I based her "catsuit" off of Avenger's SHIELD agent uniforms and Black Widow's uniform.
2381618-60004132391154768386811.jpg

the-avengers-black-widow-01.jpg

These are two female SHIELD agents in the Marvel movie universe right now, and I was designing Agent Jessica Drew to fit into that movie universe.

Last edited:
I wouldn't base Jessica with a gun off that "Spider-Woman: Origin" story. Bendis horribly messed up and altered her background unnecessarily. She really doesn't need a gun given that her venom blasts are more than sufficient. That would be like giving Wasp or Yellowjacket a gun. Even Black Widow doesn't really need a gun but she uses one more than the other people I've mentioned (including Spider-Woman). That image of Spider-Woman with a gun is more the exception than the rule.

And the yellow symbol doesn't need to highlight her breasts even if it is still the same shape. The reason it looks that way in the comics is because her costume looks sprayed on and it traces the outline. However, if she still had a skintight catsuit with the same yellow design it would look different. I don't like the straps and unnecessary seams and edges you've given her, nor the black gloves, belt and boots.

Spider-Woman's costume was given to her by HYDRA so it doesn't have to look like a SHIELD uniform.

I actually based my idea on several images I have seen. Spider-Woman being trained by Task Master at Hydra, her in front of several Hydra soldiers. Her being surgically altered and given powers, her comic series that established that she was a double agent working for Hydra and SHIELD. Her being sent to assassinate Nick Fury. Stuff like that. I love the idea of the whole espionage world being introduced into the Marvel universe.

You are entitled to your opinions. My concept is the covert double agent with powers idea. How do you see the Spider-Woman movie being?

I think it's an alright redesign, but I personally rather it looked morelike Amazing Spider-Man and less Black Widow and Maria Hill.

I actually based my idea on several images I have seen. Spider-Woman being trained by Task Master at Hydra, her in front of several Hydra soldiers. Her being surgically altered and given powers, her comic series that established that she was a double agent working for Hydra and SHIELD. Her being sent to assassinate Nick Fury. Stuff like that. I love the idea of the whole espionage world being introduced into the Marvel universe.

You are entitled to your opinions. My concept is the covert double agent with powers idea. How do you see the Spider-Woman movie being?

I already gave my idea of how the Spider-Woman movie should be in the previous pages - a supernatural/ spy genre based on how her comic book was.

As for Taskmaster training her - that's a recent retcon. Taskmaster hadn't even been invented at the time of her original comic (he only appeared in Avengers #196 which was in 1980) and certainly didn't have any dealings with her or Hydra. All the others you mention which happened in her comic (or before she had a regular series) have always involved the use of her venom blasts and super strength - no guns. When she went to assassinate Fury in Marvel Spotlight #32, she did so with her venom blasts.

As for being surgically altered - again, that's pretty much a recent thing and a bit of an injoke by Frank Cho to suggest she had surgically enhanced breasts when Hydra were augmenting her powers. Her origin didn't involve anything about her being surgically altered - she was simply given an experimental serum infused with spider blood and put in an accelerator where she aged at a decelerated rate, which was like her being in suspended animation for decades.

It would help to know the setting of her story to explain why she's wearing a costume. I like the idea that she'll fight HYDRA but going the Ultimate route for her costume does kill the appeal. I like a practical approach but all those straps and heavy gear don't make her look mysterious.

Yeah, her costume does depend on the story and where it takes place and all that. For example, will she be part of Marvel's possible Espionage movies? Featuring SHIELD, Young Nick Fury, Black Widow and Hawkeye, and Spider-Woman? Or will she end up in the Avengers? Not being as familiar with her character I liked the idea of her being a covert spy and went with a more toned down ultimate styled uniform because I figured why would a spy dress like a superhero and flashy. Wouldn't she try to be under the radar?
But then it hit me, maybe she was trained by Hydra and made to look like a superhero like Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, in order for her to get accepted into the Avengers and get access to assassinate Nick Fury for Hydra. So maybe they would design her costume to look heroic and flashy for that reason.
I still like my idea, but I appreciate the kind way some have said they don't care for it.

Oh, and by surgically altered I meant powers implanted in her like Wolverine. I like the idea that not just with injections or radiation, but that they actually cut her open and put powers inside her like a sort of Frankenstein thing.

Yeah, her costume does depend on the story and where it takes place and all that. For example, will she be part of Marvel's possible Espionage movies? Featuring SHIELD, Young Nick Fury, Black Widow and Hawkeye, and Spider-Woman? Or will she end up in the Avengers? Not being as familiar with her character I liked the idea of her being a covert spy and went with a more toned down ultimate styled uniform because I figured why would a spy dress like a superhero and flashy. Wouldn't she try to be under the radar?
But then it hit me, maybe she was trained by Hydra and made to look like a superhero like Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, in order for her to get accepted into the Avengers and get access to assassinate Nick Fury for Hydra. So maybe they would design her costume to look heroic and flashy for that reason.
I still like my idea, but I appreciate the kind way some have said they don't care for it.

Oh, and by surgically altered I meant powers implanted in her like Wolverine. I like the idea that not just with injections or radiation, but that they actually cut her open and put powers inside her like a sort of Frankenstein thing.

Sorry, don't like that idea at all. Her actual comic origin is much better where she's dying of radiation poisoning as a young girl in the early part of the 20th century, and her scientist father tries to save her life using the experimental serum infused with spider's blood. However, in order to assist with the recovery, she was placed in a genetic accelerator which had the effect of aging her more slowly but speeding up the experiment. She remained in that accelerator for decades and when she was finally healed (but subsequently gained powers that way), she was only a young woman but the world had moved on.

Then, while trying to adjust to the then modern world, (instead of SHIELD finding her like they found Cap in CA:TFA), Hydra found her and took advantage of her disorientation and isolation from society and brainwashed and manipulated her into being an operative and led her to believe she was evolved from an actual spider (which made her feel even more of an outside and cut off from humanity).

Her origin is what would have happened had Captain America been found by the enemy instead of SHIELD. It's not Hydra who give Jessica her powers. Instead they take what was meant for good and corrupt it and use it for their own ends. Even in the modern retelling of her origin by Bendis which does away with the genetic accelerator, it's still not Hydra who give Jessica her powers but still a case of corrupting what was good.

In the comic book world, where you've got literally thousands of heroes and villains to work with, that origin story works for Jess. But in the movies, where the super population is by necessity severely limited by the number of movies/TV shows you can put out each year, having the (wo)man-out-of-time motif again would severely detract from Cap....and now Bucky, too. There's only so many times you can go back to that same well before it runs dry.

The slow aging thing would most likely be dropped completely from an MCU Spider-Woman.

Yeah, the movies are most likely going to try and keep stories, concepts and characters simple for the movie universe. Which might eliminate some fun ideas or characters.
Her origin is what would have happened had Captain America been found by the enemy instead of SHIELD. It's not Hydra who give Jessica her powers. Instead they take what was meant for good and corrupt it and use it for their own ends. Even in the modern retelling of her origin by Bendis which does away with the genetic accelerator, it's still not Hydra who give Jessica her powers but still a case of corrupting what was good.
That would have made for a great parallel movie, but we are sort of getting that with Winter Soldier. He is like Cap (experimented on by Zola with his own Super Soldier Serum) and lost during WWII and found by the enemy (Communist Russia during WWII). So I think they wouldn't want to return to that concept for the movie, as interesting as that concept is.
Glad you like her old origin, but for me personally the origin reminds me of Beast Boy's.
As a child, Garfield contracts a rare illness called Sakutia by being bitten by a green monkey, but then is saved by his parents, who use an untested serum on him. This serum has the unintended effect of turning his skin and hair green and granting him the ability to metamorph into any animal of his choice.
And not my choice if I had to choose between the two origins.

Please don't judge Michelle Ryan by that NBC show, she was much better on Doctor Who and Jekyll.

Rebecca Hall would've been good, and she's English too like Jessica. Her role was wasted in IM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"