A Spider-Woman film?

Its suddenly struck me that the Spider-ladies probably have the best bodies in all of Marvel. There's no excuse for Peter to be so lonely.

Spider-Woman isn't connected to Spider-Man. Peter Parker has had more girlfriends and knows more girls who are still friends than Batman.

Joke is lost on Red Mask.

(and while their powers are only connected in name only - I didn't suggest anything else - they have crossed paths on numerous occasions. In fact, didn't Jessica Drew admit to having a crush on Peter at one point?)

Last edited:
Joke is lost on Red Mask.

(and while their powers are only connected in name only - I didn't suggest anything else - they have crossed paths on numerous occasions. In fact, didn't Jessica Drew admit to having a crush on Peter at one point?)

I don't know about that. She hadn't even heard of him when their paths first crossed. He caught her stealing and inspired her to become more of a proper hero. There was no mention of any crush in any of those encounters in her own comic that's for sure. I don't know about anything suugested later in the New Avengers.

She did have a fantastic body though, and one of the sexiest, most striking costumes around.

I know she slept naked a lot in her own comic.

I think a Spider-Woman film would be fun and honestly "cheap" to make(I think it would cost a bit but would make back double the cost personally if handled right). I would want Jessica Drew only though, didn't care much for Julia Carpenter.

spider-women for all their uniqueness and originality are up there as marvel's host of "female" Batman at least on an archetypal level: Catwoman, Batgirl, Huntress, Batwoman, etc.

But for the Jessica Drew character to be taken seriously Hollywood should first at least establish its own successful superheroine movies. I'm still waiting for that Wonder Woman movie.

But for the Jessica Drew character to be taken seriously Hollywood should first at least establish its own successful superheroine movies. I'm still waiting for that Wonder Woman movie.

Wait some more.

hopefully a depiction will happen by the next film-- i want to see venom blasts and the red bodysuit..

I don't think a Spider-Woman movie will be really successful at the box-office even if the movie is so good, I don't think it would appeal to a lot of people even if its like the female version of Spider-Man. But I hope Marvel Studios could still make a movie for Spider-Woman, and they could easily do a movie with a budget range of $30 to $60 million. If the Ghost Rider films managed to earn more $50 million at the domestic Box-office, why not a Spider-Woman movie too.

I see a Spider-Woman movie being more successful than the Ghost Rider movies honestly. For one it wouldn't star Nicholas Cage.

I do too. Mostly because the idea of Ghost Rider seems too out there for a movie. He is a spirit of vengance? Cool. He has a flaming skull? also cool. He rides a motorcycle and wears biker gear? Why? And then they watered it down for the theater and then they darkened it but not much or something.
But her movie would be more down to Earth. A woman who has these special powers is recruited to be a Spy, but then she becomes a double agent when she spies for against her own agency and then becomes a triple threat. I just mean the whole Mission Impossible Spy idea plus super powers. Which also make sense. In a world where the Avengers exist, and SHIELD exists, why not super powered spies? It follows logically.
Plus the audience has MI 1-3 to go off of and the other superhero films. So its not too out there either. Her costume would be altered somewhat though. But I can see this working.

Her story also seems a little easier to get across the the public than a Wonder Woman movie, although with the New 52 changes to Wonder Woman her new story is getting easier to tell. But the Spider-Woman story would be pretty easy, there was that film Haywire too recently and La Femme Nakita (spelling?), and various other female spy films.

And they can easily squeeze Black Widow and maybe Hawkeye in as well in the whole espionage thriller type of thing.

Also could work it into the Captain America/Winter Soldier/SHIELD/Black Widow and Hawkeye thing too. A big wide world of Marvel superheroes and espionage.

I don't think they'll be making a Spider-Woman film when they are having a hard time making a decent Spider-Man film (obviously this topic was made long before ASM, though).

I would much rather see Black Cat get introduced in an ASM sequel and for that all to be good and dandy, then see Black Cat spun-out into a movie franchise or something. Of course, Black Cat is originally a Spider-Woman enemy so I'm not sure if Spider-Woman can just be "skipped" but I assume it has been done before in various Spider-Man media.

ASM was a decent Spider-Man film, as was Raimi's first Spidey movie despite its flaws and bad aging.

However, considering Spider-Woman is owned by Marvel Studios and not Sony, I see it as a non-issue.

Spider-Woman contender? :woot:

34e8dc7.png

I don't think they'll be making a Spider-Woman film when they are having a hard time making a decent Spider-Man film (obviously this topic was made long before ASM, though).

I would much rather see Black Cat get introduced in an ASM sequel and for that all to be good and dandy, then see Black Cat spun-out into a movie franchise or something. Of course, Black Cat is originally a Spider-Woman enemy so I'm not sure if Spider-Woman can just be "skipped" but I assume it has been done before in various Spider-Man media.

What does one have to do with the other. Spider-Woman only shares a similar name but is a completely different character with no connection to Spidey. It's like saying that, because a decent Spider-Man film hasn't been made, Marvel can't make a decent Iron Man film.

The way I see it, Spider-Woman has 2 options, both of which are equally popular genres today. It can either go the spy route, which others have mentioned, or it can go the supernatural route, which is what the comic was for the first 20 or so issues, and then semi returned to those roots towards the end of its run. These supernatural franchises are also all the rage these days with things like Twilight, most CW shows, etc. It would be quite similar to Angel.

Or as a third choice, it could combine the two genres, which is really what Spider-Woman should be, otherwise choosing one over the other you're missing out on part of her rich history. Also, having a combination of both could set it apart from all the other spy movies out there, or all the other supernatural dramas out there.

And Black Cat isn't originally a Spider-Woman enemy as such. She was intended to be one, but as a completely different character, not the Felicia Hardy version - just someone with the same name. But ANY version of the Black Cat never appeared in the pages of the Spider-Woman comic as that idea never got past the concept stage. So as far as one being dependent on the other, it is a non issue completely.

Last edited:
Whether or not one is connected to the other or they are at the same or separate studios, having her named Spider-Woman would cause as much conflict with non comic readers as calling a character Super Woman. The public will automatically connect her to Spider-Man. If they were at the same studio they could at least mention Spider-man and say how she isn't related to him, but at a separate studio can they even bring him up?
They could almost joke about it, something like "Spider-Woman? Are you related to..." "No!" "But your name is..." "I said NO!" Or do what New Avengers did. "He doesn't own the rights to the name." Something like that.

But also separate her from Peter by having her movie be less super heroic and more patriot games/Spy thriller/Espionage stuff. More like Patriot Games, Mission Impossible 1, Salt, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy, any of the Bourne movies, Argo,
A political spy action thriller. But with SHIELD and an agent with genetically/surgically implanted powers. Maybe a cameo by Black Widow and/or Hawkeye.
Maybe a little darker, grittier than Spider-Man and Iron Man. She is a woman given super powers and turned into a double agent for SHIELD against Hydra, but then starts working for Hydra against SHIELD, and is actually a triple agent. And all that kind of spy versus spy stuff, and who can be trusted, and politics.

Last edited:
Whether or not one is connected to the other or they are at the same or separate studios, having her named Spider-Woman would cause as much conflict with non comic readers as calling a character Super Woman. The public will automatically connect her to Spider-Man. If they were at the same studio they could at least mention Spider-man and say how she isn't related to him, but at a separate studio can they even bring him up?
They could almost joke about it, something like "Spider-Woman? Are you related to..." "No!" "But your name is..." "I said NO!" Or do what New Avengers did. "He doesn't own the rights to the name." Something like that.

But also separate her from Peter by having her movie be less super heroic and more patriot games/Spy thriller/Espionage stuff. More like Patriot Games, Mission Impossible 1, Salt, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy, any of the Bourne movies, Argo,

A political spy action thriller. But with SHIELD and an agent with genetically/surgically implanted powers. Maybe a cameo by Black Widow and/or Hawkeye.

Maybe a little darker, grittier than Spider-Man and Iron Man. She is a woman given super powers and turned into a double agent for SHIELD against Hydra, but then starts working for Hydra against SHIELD, and is actually a triple agent. And all that kind of spy versus spy stuff, and who can be trusted, and politics.

You're just describing what the comic was in fact. It was never anything like Spider-Man, and to start with she walked a rather morally ambiguous line. It was only her encounter with Spider-Man that made her start becoming more of a hero. It was always either supernatural stories with a private eye element (like Angel), or spy stories. If they borrowed some elements from Burn Notice, then she can be both a spy and also helping people privately (like a PI).

This kind of makes me think a Spider-Girl movie would be better received than a Spider-Woman movie.

You're just describing what the comic was in fact. It was never anything like Spider-Man, and to start with she walked a rather morally ambiguous line. It was only her encounter with Spider-Man that made her start becoming more of a hero. It was always either supernatural stories with a private eye element (like Angel), or spy stories. If they borrowed some elements from Burn Notice, then she can be both a spy and also helping people privately (like a PI).
I would wonder if because of the success of Spider-Man and because of her name and her being a Marvel character like Iron Man or Captain America or Spider-Man, that most studios would want to make her movie a typical Marvel movie like Iron Man or Spider-Man, which would add (I think) to the confusion of most viewers who already think she is connected to Spider-Man because of her name.
But I (didn't know exactly what the comic was like having not read her in anything but Avengers) think that her movie should be like the comic. Grittier, darker in tone, more dramatic in tone, more serious, with threats on a more political/global terrorist level than what Spider-Man or Iron Man face. The tone would help separate her from Spider-Man. If the tone is more like a political thriller people will sort of seperate her from Spider-Man automatically. And then she can say something like "He doesn't own that name." Or whatever.

This kind of makes me think a Spider-Girl movie would be better received than a Spider-Woman movie.
I say do both, a Spider-Girl movie in the same tone as Spider-Man, as a spin off of sorts (like a She-Hulk movie) but then also a dark gritty Spider-Woman movie. They might have to call her movie Jessica Drew or call her the Spider instead of Spider-Woman. The Spider sounds more like a spy code name anyway, rather than Spider-Woman which sounds super heroic.

I would wonder if because of the success of Spider-Man and because of her name and her being a Marvel character like Iron Man or Captain America or Spider-Man, that most studios would want to make her movie a typical Marvel movie like Iron Man or Spider-Man, which would add (I think) to the confusion of most viewers who already think she is connected to Spider-Man because of her name.
But I (didn't know exactly what the comic was like having not read her in anything but Avengers) think that her movie should be like the comic. Grittier, darker in tone, more dramatic in tone, more serious, with threats on a more political/global terrorist level than what Spider-Man or Iron Man face. The tone would help separate her from Spider-Man. If the tone is more like a political thriller people will sort of seperate her from Spider-Man automatically. And then she can say something like "He doesn't own that name." Or whatever.

I say do both, a Spider-Girl movie in the same tone as Spider-Man, as a spin off of sorts (like a She-Hulk movie) but then also a dark gritty Spider-Woman movie. They might have to call her movie Jessica Drew or call her the Spider instead of Spider-Woman. The Spider sounds more like a spy code name anyway, rather than Spider-Woman which sounds super heroic.

She was originally called Arachnia by Hydra. Her origin is pretty dark (she was originally led to believe that she had evolved from an actual spider - which was in fact the idea they first used, but nixed by Stan Lee for being too disgusting). The early comics are quite typical Bronze Age Marvel horror in the vein of Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Dr Strange etc.

The pre-Spider-Woman comics where she's this mysterious Hydra operative have her sent to kill Nick Fury and she even comes into conflict with the Thing in London in Marvel Two-in-One.

Her cast of characters were typically the likes of Morgan Le Fay, Werewolf by Night, Brothers Grimm, Nekra (who hangs with the Avengers villain Grim Reaper sometimes), the Shroud, Gypsy Moth, Viper and Hydra. Those comics are really a world away from Spider-Man. It's only really the animated series and the New Avengers that have made her more of a typical heroine.

The one thing she does have in common with a more traditional hero is the whole "woman out of time" thing like Captain America. But early Spider-Woman is more anti-hero.

I'd imagine her movie being more down to Earth with enemies like Hydra and AIM, and and her supporting cast would be the likes of Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Hydra agents, SHIELD agents, politicians, government assassins, sort of like the Bourne movies. I wouldn't, personally, have her have any other super powered allies (at least in the 1st movie) and her enemy would be some super powered terrorist like Viper or (Who is a memorable Spider-Woman enemy who can be linked to Hydra?) Oh, Grim Reaper. That could also lead to connections with the Avengers, to show its part of their world. Just a part they don't exactly get into a lot. Grim Reaper could be a Hydra terrorist. (Or who else?)

And as for the name Arachnia sounds good, her code names could be The Spider and Arachnia. the movie could be Jessica Drew: the Spider. Or Jessica Drew, Code Name: Aracnhia. Something like that. In the movie Her code name could be Arachnia or the Spider and she can be called that and referred to as that but also caled Jessica and Agent Drew (imagine like they did with James Bond: 007)

spider_woman_movie_redesign_by_artistneedham-d5s4nqz.jpg

Code Named: the Spider, A.K.A. Arachnia.
I Redesigned Spider-Woman because I thought her movie could be a real spy, Espionage, political, terrorist thriller, Marvel movie. It could be all about her being a SHIELD agent who is actually a Spy for Hydra, but she is actually spying on Hydra for SHIELD. And it be this big spy drama, all about who can she trust and who can trust her. And It would be darker and grittier than Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, or Spider-Man. More in the style of the Bourne movies, or Patriot Games, Salt, Mission Impossible 1, movies like those. Maybe cameos by Maria Hill, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury, or Agent Coulsen. And to cut the confusion about her being related or connected to Spider-Man, her name is changed to a code name, the Spider or Arachnia. The concept is that in a world with Superheroes and Super Villains, of coarse the government would use, or create in her case, a super powered covert agent to send at the bad guys. So she lives in the same world as Thor and Captain America and Iron Man, but dwells in a part so dark they usually don't get there. She is also so undercover that you can't be sure where her alliances are.
There could also be a scene, to get the Spider-Man confusion out of the way, where someone asks her Are you related to Spi... and she interrupts "NO!" (Or not.)
I redesigned her costume to look more like a spy outfit. The Black stripes were changed to straps. I was considering even making the black stripes outlining her yellow design to be straps too. All straps all the time. But wasn't sure it would look good. Plus Hawkeye has this purple arrow design for no reason on his costume. The red on her suit I made darker. The idea is that its more like a dark uniform that is sort of red. I just haven't finished the coloring yet. The wings currently look like a cape because they aren't extended in flight. But they are meant to be wings and not a cape. Maybe the straps are like a harness for her wings. Her mask and Spider-Man eyes were changed into goggles.
Her left arm might be a little long. I drew this design based on a Marvel cover featuring the new Phantom X, who is a woman, and she was holding a large gun in her left hand. (I wanted to get my idea on paper fast.) I changed it and it turned out too long.
So a very quick character history movie plot concept idea thing:
Jessica Drew (if that is her real name) was an agent for M-13 in England's spy game. She was recruited by SHIELD and went under cover in Hydra. Hydra turned her into a super powered assassin and sent her into SHIELD as their spy. Something like that. Her code names are the Spider and Arachnia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"