The Dark Knight Rises A very positive review from a guy who hated the first 2 films

I'm really divided by that moment. On one hand, it's the most badass Bale has looked as Batman in ANY of the movies, I nearly wet myself the first time I saw it. It was quite literally a glimpse of the Batman I've always wanted to see - rough, hardened, acting meticulously and not taking **** from anyone. In that brief moment, Batman is perfect.

But on the other hand, when I thought about it, that moment isn't really earned by the film. It's Bruce's first night back in the cowl in eight years, not him being a veteran of many years to whom every step of being Batman has become practically mundane.

But nevertheless, maybe the moment is "cheating" a bit, but it's still one of my favorites in the whole trilogy :up:

But he did screw up in that moment. As Alfred (and Blake) pointed out, Bruce simply distracted the cops and allowed Bane to get away.

I'm really divided by that moment. On one hand, it's the most badass Bale has looked as Batman in ANY of the movies, I nearly wet myself the first time I saw it. It was quite literally a glimpse of the Batman I've always wanted to see - rough, hardened, acting meticulously and not taking **** from anyone. In that brief moment, Batman is perfect.

But on the other hand, when I thought about it, that moment isn't really earned by the film. It's Bruce's first night back in the cowl in eight years, not him being a veteran of many years to whom every step of being Batman has become practically mundane.

But nevertheless, maybe the moment is "cheating" a bit, but it's still one of my favorites in the whole trilogy :up:

Yes and no. I felt he was pretty battle hardened in TDK with the way he so easily takes out Scarecrow and the drug dealers at the beginning or goes after Lau. Even his takedown of the Joker at the end with the hostages. So, after all that, going through another police chase, which he did in the first film, may seem pretty easy to him.

Yeah, I think for Batman...being able to evade the police on the Bat-pod is like, well....riding a bike.

It's coming up against a physical adversary that is actually his match that he's not prepared to deal with, I thought the movie made a point to make the distinction there with Alfred's dialogue.

But yeah, Bale just absolutely owned that moment. Batman just seemed like such a legend in that sequence. I also liked how it showed that younger members of the force were in complete awe of him.

Last edited:
I enjoyed all 3 films, actually.

I cant say im surprised because here i've seen a similar phenomenon regarding some professional critics that disliked Begins & TDK (and most of the director's work), loathe the genre....but they ended up enjoying and giving positives reviews about Rises (not raves)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"