Inhumans ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 2

Every time I see small good bits from the trailer/promos, I just wonder how better those would be had it been for a film.

Based from the moon
Excluded from the outside world
A royal family of super powered people
Terrigenesis
Alpha primitive

Marvel has an unique property here. They are not another street level hero or a superhero team or a superhero that accidentally got powers or another superpowered person waiting to be an Avenger. It just sucks that they are wasted in this especially if the poor reviews turn out to be right.

Though I do think the one flaw that the source material has is the lack of more villains within the Royal family and the lack of villains in general. They are already turning Auran into a villain while Lash was already used in Aos.

The reason I've thought a TV show is better is the IP isn't well-suited for action. Of course, I'm not sure Roel Reine is the right choice since he seems best at B-movie action. I think a movie could work, but all the complaints about deviations would exist just as strongly, just from a producer who usually makes a good final product.

On a side note, I'm definitely more on the side of giving this project a chance and I don't get the number of people who seem to be actively rooting for it to fail, but Marvel should take their medicine and lift the review embargo. Isn't it basically out now?

While the three full reviews posted are totally not encouraging, I have not lost hope I'll like it.
I liked IF, so either I'm easy to please or I have a different taste. Or both.
I will not be able to see it in IMAX where I live, I would have liked to, but I admit that if the majority of reviews will be negative I would probably have skipped it anyway and waited for the broadcast.
We'll see.

This was awful.

Someone had to have known that this was a total failure while it was happening and should have put a stop to this.

One things for sure, Loeb is a far cry from Kevin Feige.. His motto must be win some, lose some.

The reason I've thought a TV show is better is the IP isn't well-suited for action. Of course, I'm not sure Roel Reine is the right choice since he seems best at B-movie action. I think a movie could work, but all the complaints about deviations would exist just as strongly, just from a producer who usually makes a good final product.

On a side note, I'm definitely more on the side of giving this project a chance and I don't get the number of people who seem to be actively rooting for it to fail, but Marvel should take their medicine and lift the review embargo. Isn't it basically out now?

Reviews are out for it. Apparently it sucks

IGN:

But let me be clear: Inhumans isn’t bad because it’s not a loyal adaptation of the comics. Inhumans is bad because it’s a slog to get through.

The Verdict
Inhumans is bad from top to bottom. Try as it might, the show does not live up to the Marvel brand. It is most definitely not worth seeing in IMAX, and I wouldn’t recommend catching it on TV either.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll admit I was kinda excited for this. I thought it was gonna be a GOT-esque series in the MCU. But then the negative press happened and well... Eh. I hate to say it, but this show feels like an executive mandate.

Yeah, I'll admit I was kinda excited for this. I thought it was gonna be a GOT-esque series in the MCU. But then the negative press happened and well... Eh. I hate to say it, but this show feels like an executive mandate.

It was. And they handed it off to Scott Buck who is completely incompetent. Poor dialog, rushed production and ugly costumes are all things which he can be blamed for. It's unlikely that this series will be renewed.

It was. And they handed it off to Scott Buck who is completely incompetent. Poor dialog, rushed production and ugly costumes are all things which he can be blamed for. It's unlikely that this series will be renewed.

It should even axed before it finishes its run. But maybe they'll just burn them off quickly and air them all in about a couple of weeks.

Scott Buck should replace Kevin Feige now as the man with a vision. :o

the reviews suggest something abominal left the marvel stable. while in the realms of possibility where is it in the realms of probability. slim odds.

who reviews the reviewers. on the internet the first review something is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever and not the more realistic in between. there is a move towards sensationalism when a review should be rational.

Every time I see small good bits from the trailer/promos, I just wonder how better those would be had it been for a film.

Based from the moon
Excluded from the outside world
A royal family of super powered people
Terrigenesis
Alpha primitive

Marvel has an unique property here. They are not another street level hero or a superhero team or a superhero that accidentally got powers or another superpowered person waiting to be an Avenger. It just sucks that they are wasted in this especially if the poor reviews turn out to be right.

Though I do think the one flaw that the source material has is the lack of more villains within the Royal family and the lack of villains in general. They are already turning Auran into a villain while Lash was already used in Aos.

My top Inhuman villains list in no particular order are

Maximus and his various factions of minions.

The Unspoken.

Maelstrom and his minions.

The Genetics Council.

Only good NuInhuman villains I've seen are Lineage and Lash.

Inhumans seems to be taking up Wonder Woman IMAX screens this coming weekend. Why give the screens to this crap? It should just be left as a TV thing now. Even watching any of the other Marvel TV shows (apart from Iron Fist) on IMAX would be better than Inhumans.

Inhumans seems to be taking up Wonder Woman IMAX screens this coming weekend. Why give the screens to this crap? It should just be left as a TV thing now. Even watching any of the other Marvel TV shows (apart from Iron Fist) on IMAX would be better than Inhumans.

It is a contractual thing. Imax depends more on contracted times than performances. And considering that Imax paid for this, yeah, it is going to get priority.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this is only happening because of Permutter's ego. Anyone more sane would have canned the project once the movie was cancelled, or at least rewritten it from square one around a TV budget. But no, he's got to try and force an Inhumans movie, even if its by making a TV show with an IMAX premiere.

Finally a negative review that's not going "worst ever":
http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvels-inhumans-imax-experience-surprised-the-hell-out-1798686106
Seems sensible, it sums it up like this:
"To be clear, if you go to see Inhumans in this weekend, it will dawn on you at some point that you are in a movie theater watching a television show that was supposed to be a movie and will also be airing on television in a couple of weeks. That realization will confuse you, perhaps make you chuckle to yourself, and probably make you wonder whether your money would have been better spent elsewhere.
Inhumans is neither good nor bad. Rather, it’s in a perpetual state of existential flux that is impossible not to recognize."

Still hoping for the best, but I calibrated my expectation accordingly.

Anson Mount and Jaimie Alexander need to get together and see who has more of a downturned mouth. If they had a child together, he would look like this: :huh:

lol.

mount_jamie.jpg

It is a contractual thing. Imax depends more on contracted times than performances. And considering that Imax paid for this, yeah, it is going to get priority.

Exactly.

IMAX has paid for this they have rights to screen this.

Why would you go see Wonder Woman on IMAX anyway? You can buy it on digital for five dollars more than a ticket.

Wired :funny:

When the credits rolled in WIRED's screening of the IMAX premiere of Marvel's Inhumans, a fellow audience member loudly exclaimed "what the f*** did I just watch?". While his review is more profane and far more concise than our own, he was pretty much on the money: Inhumans is a mess

This was awful.

Someone had to have known that this was a total failure while it was happening and should have put a stop to this.

Yeah, I saw it at full price with an open mind wanting to back Marvel to the fullest.

All I can say is ... UGH.

Who are ABC's intended audience for this bland and poorly written series? Fans are going to be genuinely insulted by these watered down versions of the source material. Non-fans are going scratch their heads and be thoroughly unimpressed. Even newer Agents of SHIELD fans are going to recognize the connection but not care because the characters are completely shallow.

It's like watching the makers of a bad ABC soap opera tap a makeshift comic con cosplay group to put on a production on the cheap. It was actually cringe worthy especially if you know these characters from the books. Black Bolt has all the charisma of a wet sock and has been neutered to silly levels. ALL the royal family gets the same sad treatment. SPOILERS:
Blackbolt (a character who has gone toe to toe with The Thing and The Hulk) gets beaten down by a few pudgy Hawaiian cops. Then, after he violently hiccups a car careening down the street these cops walk him in like nothing happened??? Gorgon walks in to the ocean yelling for Triton like a moron and gets himself drown??? Karnak falls off a hill??? Medusa has her hair cut by regular barber shears but Maximus leaves stubble. Doesn't her hair grow and contract on command??? Crystal is neutralized by handcuffs and then by an angry lady in leather pants then sent to her room to pout???
WTF did I just watch indeed???

The first scene and Triton's only scene started off like bad General Hospital quality then it actually got interesting for the intros. Medusa's hair actually looked cool and Lockjaw was amazing. I like the look and the actress who plays Medusa. Everyone was OK except wet sock Blackbolt. Then, shallow writing just sunk everything fast. They can't put this to bed fast enough and get on with Agents of SHIELD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"