Inhumans ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
15085709_10154714834776617_8893285685155632666_n.jpg

Chloe Bennet actually said that Marvel doesn't give a **** about their tv endeavors and I am starting to think she may have had something there.

I think the point she was trying to make was that Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios has no interest tying into what Jeff Loeb and his team are doing on the small screen. And I think the point was valid - AOS has been solid and is finishing up its best year and the non Iron Fist Netflix shows have been terrific. It would seem like greater coordination between TV and film would benefit both.

But then I see the Inhumans cosplay photo and I think Feige had the right idea in keeping the films separate from TV.

000254980hr.jpg

Not much for me to complain about.
Those are pretty much SyFy costumes from my end.

Could've had a movie.

Could we have? Really?

Anyway:

Gorgon - Meh. The wheelchair bit for his backwards knees wouldn't have been out of place. This kind of underdeveloped Black guy is a huge problem in TV, writers not knowing what to do with their supporting Black characters, usually keeping them around in dumb annoying stories, making them evil, or killing them off. Gorgon, based on this, looks to be headed that way.
Karnak - Looks fine. I think his headpiece is about as relevant as Loki's and Thor's and will be missed based entirely on if the character is interesting without it or not. Based on what I see here, Karnak is likely to be the standout, great proven character actor, solo-worthy character with a clear 'thing.' I'm least worried about being bored or annoyed by this Karnak.
Blackbolt - While his headpiece is a bit more... him, I think that it too could have been reduced in some way. A cloth crown with a tuning fork would have been a good thing here. Without it, and with him just sporting plain blue leather, it does look outdated, it does look uninteresting. Admittedly Black Bolt is a hard character to translate, to get someone to emote to the audience without speech or narration boxes isn't an easy book to crack. Facial expressions is a natural go to for a tv showrunner, but Blackbolt needed something else, something smart and incredibly understated, and it looks like they don't have the finesse to pull him off, which bodes ill for the show as a whole.
Medusa - What a mistake. Why hire a hot young actress and then try to age her up? This emphasis on a purple gown and not on the red hair is saddening, and the hair doesn't just look fake, it's worse, it looks dead, which goes pretty heavily against her character. This is perhaps the greatest disappointment for what is the most dynamic character in the series to turn her into a kncokoff Cersei Lannister.
Crystal - Is fine. Nothing really of note here. Hopefully they know how to write young women so that she doesn't become completely annoying.
Maximus - Is fine, albeit a bit understated for someone with such a wild mind. A little white to go with his black would have been a fine touch. He's the one I'm second least worried about because of the actor's experience and the nature of the character as an on-hand bad guy could put him at Loki-Kingpin levels of awesome, if they don't totally botch the story.

I think this is pretty much case in point that they don't get the characters, which isn't any wonder, with the comics sending such mixed messages nowadays about what the Inhumans are and can be, it's no wonder that the showmakers got lost in Game of Thrones and X-Men influences and never really realized what they were looking at, and could only come up with this:
000254980hr.jpg

What's really sad is that someone thought were supposed to be wow-ed by him having the symbol, like it's the Superman 'S' and that alone is enough to excite people. These characters aren't icons, they're beloved characters. You can't botch up a Harry Potter spinoff and then show the Griffyndor crest and have people be excited.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see them take on the Justice League!

Justice-League-movie-970x545.jpg

Could we have? Really?

Anyway:

Gorgon - Meh. The wheelchair bit for his backwards knees wouldn't have been out of place. This kind of underdeveloped Black guy is a huge problem in TV, writers not knowing what to do with their supporting Black characters, usually keeping them around in dumb annoying stories, making them evil, or killing them off. Gorgon, based on this, looks to be headed that way.
Karnak - Looks fine. I think his headpiece is about as relevant as Loki's and Thor's and will be missed based entirely on if the character is interesting without it or not. Based on what I see here, Karnak is likely to be the standout, great proven character actor, solo-worthy character with a clear 'thing.' I'm least worried about being bored or annoyed by this Karnak.
Blackbolt - While his headpiece is a bit more... him, I think that it too could have been reduced in some way. A cloth crown with a tuning fork would have been a good thing here. Without it, and with him just sporting plain blue leather, it does look outdated, it does look uninteresting. Admittedly Black Bolt is a hard character to translate, to get someone to emote to the audience without speech or narration boxes isn't an easy book to crack. Facial expressions is a natural go to for a tv showrunner, but Blackbolt needed something else, something smart and incredibly understated, and it looks like they don't have the finesse to pull him off, which bodes ill for the show as a whole.
Medusa - What a mistake. Why hire a hot young actress and then try to age her up? This emphasis on a purple gown and not on the red hair is saddening, and the hair doesn't just look fake, it's worse, it looks dead, which goes pretty heavily against her character. This is perhaps the greatest disappointment for what is the most dynamic character in the series to turn her into a kncokoff Cersei Lannister.
Crystal - Is fine. Nothing really of note here. Hopefully they know how to write young women so that she doesn't become completely annoying.
Maximus - Is fine, albeit a bit understated for someone with such a wild mind. A little white to go with his black would have been a fine touch. He's the one I'm second least worried about because of the actor's experience and the nature of the character as an on-hand bad guy could put him at Loki-Kingpin levels of awesome, if they don't totally botch the story.

I think this is pretty much case in point that they don't get the characters, which isn't any wonder, with the comics sending such mixed messages nowadays about what the Inhumans are and can be, it's no wonder that the showmakers got lost in Game of Thrones and X-Men influences and never really realized what they were looking at, and could only come up with this:
000254980hr.jpg

What's really sad is that someone thought were supposed to be wow-ed by him having the symbol, like it's the Superman 'S' and that alone is enough to excite people. These characters aren't icons, they're beloved characters. You can't botch up a Harry Potter spinoff and then show the Griffyndor crest and have people be excited.

That's an understatement. We're talking about Scott Buck as show runner here.

And Medusa's hair definitely looks terrible. I wonder if it is actually just a wig in the show, since we saw set pics of her with short hair. Maybe she wears a wig to hide her shaven locks.

Serinda Swan doesn't look good as Medusa at all though.

And Jorge Garcia would've looked better in that early 2000s X-Men uniform than Mount. :o

Oh wow.

Giving me late 90s cheap fantasy TV show vibes.

Medusa's wig!

Her shoulder padding!

I can't.

I knew they weren't gonna be in spandex and masks (called that forever ago) but Jesus, this is like, Smallville level bad.

Q: Can you say where the show takes place: On Earth or Attilan?

I think we’re on both.

Q: Attilan moves, so is Attilan currently on Earth in your story?

Not when we go to Attilan, no.

Q: Does Inhumans live in the same universe as Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., considering on Earth there was this explosion of Inhumans?

We all inhabit the same universe, so things that have happened on S.H.I.E.L.D. will potentially affect our show as well.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/marvel-inhumans-photo-abc/

Attilan isn't on earth at the start, probably on the moon or something. :yay:

That's an understatement. We're talking about Scott Buck as show runner here.

And Medusa's hair definitely looks terrible. I wonder if it is actually just a wig in the show, since we saw set pics of her with short hair. Maybe she wears a wig to hide her shaven locks.

Serinda Swan doesn't look good as Medusa at all though.

And Jorge Garcia would've looked better in that early 2000s X-Men uniform than Mount. :o

Ohmigosh, this is the guy that did Iron Fist?

It's clearly a wig for Medusa, and she probably shaved FOR the wig, and now we've got this to show for it, and it's really Buck's fault. I mean... just... how hard is this:

bKMIvPj.jpg

Sure you get rid of the mask, for acting and theming sake, fine, but you just... put her in a dress and add fifteen years to her face instead? Geez...

To be fair, the costumes for Daredevil, Elektra, and Punisher look pretty bad. So who knows,may be its just the costumes. Iron Fist the show was mediocre though and Scott Buck is the show runner of this so.

I wonder if Lockjaw, Auran and Triton would look better?

The wig look bad but he said this:
Q:How difficult is it to bring Medusa’s hair to life on film?

Scott:
It is very difficult. Even now, it’s still a process. It takes quite a long time in post to make that effect work. We have some of the best visual effects people available working on our show. We still haven’t seen the final version of it; it’s very much a work in process.

The Punisher looks fine. I don't know why you keep saying that.

Anyway about Agents of SHIELD:

"We all inhabit the same universe," Buck told Entertainment Weekly, "So things that have happened on S.H.I.E.L.D. will potentially affect our show as well."

That should've been rather obvious but still.

Last edited:
I just imagine with the film division handling this (same goes to the Netflix shows), there would be such a difference. With the Defenders, it looks like a bunch of angsty people in everyday clothes and now here, it looks like the cast of another Syfy show. I am even gonna comment about Cloak's blanket.

This reads as them having a bit of a nightmare with it to be honest. I'm not sure how well they'll ultimately get it to look.

This is another reason why he can't do this show. Medusa's hair is something you can't go straight at "Let's do a wig and some CGI" because OF COURSE that's going to be a nightmare, and give you something that's entirely unimpressive. This guy really shouldn't be in charge of anything but character drama, because he has no conception of hyperrealism, no imagination for it.

Because Medusa's hair is a constant reality for her, you essentially need to puppeteer it, though a few camera tricks, Grudge-style probably wouldn't be out of place. She has a monster on her head, and it should feel alive. That should inform how you bring it to life rather than what is the most conventional way to move hair despite it being impractical for the level of movement the character requires.

Wow. Those costumes look awful.

1. Thanks to the Entertainment Weekly watermark, I can't see of Gorgon has hooves or not. His costume still looks ugly with the poncho. They should have made him shirtless with fake body hair added in makeup.

2. Serinda Swan is 32 but looks around 54 in that pic thanks to whoever botched her makeup. Also, the hair dye that she's using is an awful color that's just painful to look at and the fabric on her costume looks ugly. Like, it's easier to do a better, cheaper Medusa costume with homemade materials.

3. Crystal's costume lacks sleeves and her wearing pants instead of a jumpsuit is a travesty. Whoever did her makeup also made her look too young.

4. Maximus looks like he's wearing street clothes. At least they didn't give him a bowl cut.

5. Where is Triton?

6. Black Bolt and Karnak look decent.

Those are the first thoughts that come to mind.

Scott Buck strikes again. The man ruined Iron Fist. Now he's ruining the Inhumans. At least Gorgon, Maximus, Karnak and Medusa are cast by competent actors. Then again, the cast of Iron Fist were all talented but the show's writing made even Rosario Dawson look bad. I have next to no faith in Scott Buck's vision for anything since he's capable of ruining anything he touches.

Blackbolt looks like they combined both suits Clark wore as the Blur on Smallville.

yknow i hate being negative. but this looks horrible. should've been a movie.

It look a little better like this: :D

328507000254980hr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back