Superman Returns Advertising - was the limited trailer release a bad idea?

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
It seems quite a few theaters did not get the trailer with MI:3. I didn't, I know a lot of others didn't. Bad move on WB part? This could very well be their last chance. X3 will not carry the trailer as WB still seems rather bitter over the Singer/Mardsen debacle. As far as I know Poseidon will not carry it, and many B.O. analysts are expected Poseidon to bomb anyhow. So...has WB missed their final chance to get the trailer out to a large mass appeal audience? I'm no advertisment executive...but it seems like a bad move.

Posidon is gonna bomb

But I really think Superman gets that trailers in with X3

I think part of it is up to theaters discretion and Fox won't hold that big a grudge...after all they let WB use the Fox Studios in Autrailia to shoot some stuff even after the marsden issue so..no hard feelings IMO

Matt said:
It seems quite a few theaters did not get the trailer with MI:3. I didn't, I know a lot of others didn't. Bad move on WB part? This could very well be their last chance. X3 will not carry the trailer as WB still seems rather bitter over the Singer/Mardsen debacle. As far as I know Poseidon will not carry it, and many B.O. analysts are expected Poseidon to bomb anyhow. So...has WB missed their final chance to get the trailer out to a large mass appeal audience? I'm no advertisment executive...but it seems like a bad move.
The problem is that the WB cannot control that very much. Most trailers are simply packed in with films and it is up to the theater managers to choose which trailer goes where. However, there is a reel before the movie that includes attached trailers. These are usually reserved for films from the same studio, i.e. the Phantom Menace trailer actually attached to copies of Wing Commander since they were both distributed by Fox. This is guaranteed advertising by a company for their own trailers as theater managers can't do anything about it since these trailers are on the same reels as the film itself. Knowing this, selling this space to advertise a competitor's film isn't done too often. I'm sure Paramount would rather use that limited space on the reel to advertise one of their own films rather then giving advertising space to Warner Bros.

Weadazoid said:
Posidon is gonna bomb

But I really think Superman gets that trailers in with X3

I think part of it is up to theaters discretion and Fox won't hold that big a grudge...after all they let WB use the Fox Studios in Autrailia to shoot some stuff even after the marsden issue so..no hard feelings IMO

I don't know Daaaavey. Letting them rent a studio is one thing...giving the competition advertisment space...pretty stupid move.

skruloos said:
The problem is that the WB cannot control that very much. Most trailers are simply packed in with films and it is up to the theater managers to choose which trailer goes where. However, there is a reel before the movie that includes attached trailers. These are usually reserved for films from the same studio, i.e. the Phantom Menace trailer actually attached to copies of Wing Commander since they were both distributed by Fox. This is guaranteed advertising by a company for their own trailers as theater managers can't do anything about it since these trailers are on the same reels as the film itself. Knowing this, selling this space to advertise a competitor's film isn't done too often. I'm sure Paramount would rather use that limited space on the reel to advertise one of their own films rather then giving advertising space to Warner Bros.

I read something about them only distributing the trailer to theaters that could carry digitial video.

Matt said:
I read something about them only distributing the trailer to theaters that could carry digitial video.

That would be just about the stupidest thing WB will have done with this Marketing

Dnsk said:
That would be just about the stupidest thing WB will have done with this Marketing

Agreed, MI:3 was quite possibly the marketing team's last chance...and they failed it would seem.

Matt said:
That's not true. The theater I went to does not carry digital video but it did show the trailer. It just didn't show it with my showing of MI:3. However, my sister and a few of my friends went to the same theater at different times and both showed the trailer. It's up to the discretion of the theater manager.

I was under the impression the trailer was "attached" with MI3 and Poseidon. I guess my impressions are bogus. Heh Heh.

Geeze i'm sure the tv ads will take care. Whats with these topics. It was the same with batman. People just need a few weeks ahead of time.

Showtime029 said:
I was under the impression the trailer was "attached" with MI3 and Poseidon. I guess my impressions are bogus. Heh Heh.
I thought it was going to be attached to all copies of Poseidon also..has that info been changed?

Not sure V, I just spoke with Metropolisman over the phone and he told me that the trailer wasn't with MI3 either. He said they played 7 trailer and he just kept waiting for Returns but it never came.

Showtime029 said:
Not sure V, I just spoke with Metropolisman over the phone and he told me that the trailer wasn't with MI3 either. He said they played 7 trailer and he just kept waiting for Returns but it never came.
Hmm I want go and see MI3..partly to see the trailer on the big screen..but I also want to see it...I hope it is attached to the copy playing here.

Matt said:

actually....its with 70% of mi3s screenings.
-no idea with x3, but w.b. fox/comic book films have great relationships, actually. last year w.b. let fox air its fantastic four trailer with batman, and that was right after the whole singer/marsden thing.
-its ATTATCHED to ALL copies of poseidon. if you go see poseidn theres a 990% chance youll see the trailer.

-its not a bad move cause its getting more viewings then pirates 2, xmen 3, mi3, and da vinci code will/did get. so if this is bad, theirs are AWEFUL.

nothing changed matt has made a new ythread to try and continue false negative buzz .if you wanna def. see it on the big screen go see poseidon cause its attatched to the print like the teaser was with potter n v for vendetta

Venom71 said:
Hmm I want go and see MI3..partly to see the trailer on the big screen..but I also want to see it...I hope it is attached to the copy playing here.

I am going to see it tomorrow because I enjoy MI movies. If the trailer is attached then even better. :up:

why wouldn't they put it with mi3? it was packed at my theater....wb drops the ball again

Matt said:

Your point isn't totally wrong, but, man, I can say you that the party's just started. You have only to wait...you can't even imagine what is coming...
you'll not be disappointed...or probably yes (for our joy) :D

I never see any comic book film trailers on the big screen. The studios dont care about Ohio...haha.

^That is odd? Ohio must get no play.

Every movie I have been to the audiences have been pretty damn dead too. I hear all these reports of audiences clapping and cheering and I have never experienced that.

I have, once. Everyone clapped at the end of ROTJ in the theaters. I did too, and I remember thinking it was the weirdest thing, because it wasn't like the actors could hear us.

Showtime029 said:
I am going to see it tomorrow because I enjoy MI movies. If the trailer is attached then even better. :up:
You like the MI movies and you yet you haven't watched any Bond films? Wow. My problems with the MI films is that they don't really focus on the team too much. They make it more like Ethan Hunt is America's answer to Bond.

Is it possible to get any answers if you call your local theaters and ask what trailers they will be showing before a movie?

skruloos said:
You like the MI movies and you yet you haven't watched any Bond films? Wow. My problems with the MI films is that they don't really focus on the team too much. They make it more like Ethan Hunt is America's answer to Bond.

I can't relate the character of Ethan Hunt to Bond because I haven't seen the movies. I view them for what they are, action oriented entertainment, it's the same view I have on the Bourne movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"