Superman Returns Advertising - was the limited trailer release a bad idea?

Showtime029 said:
I can't relate the character of Ethan Hunt to Bond because I haven't seen the movies. I view them for what they are, action oriented entertainment, it's the same view I have on the Bourne movies.
Well that's what I mean. Ethan Hunt functions a lot like James Bond and Jason Bourne. I think you'd like the Bond films.

skruloos said:
Well that's what I mean. Ethan Hunt functions a lot like James Bond and Jason Bourne. I think you'd like the Bond films.

I think you mentioned I should start with Goldfinger, so that will be my approach. I think I'll enjoy them as well, not watching Bond movies took on a life of it's own. Almost like being proud of not pumping your own gas, if that makes sense.

Showtime029 said:
I think you mentioned I should start with Goldfinger, so that will be my approach. I think I'll enjoy them as well, not watching Bond movies took on a life of it's own. Almost like being proud of not pumping your own gas, if that makes sense.
I understand. Yes, Goldfinger is great. I prefer From Russia with Love but that's neither here nor there. You might enjoy Goldeneye as well.

I am definately going to check these out, I feel cheated that I haven't.

matt youve said two flat out lies-that the trailer isnt airing with poseidon, and thats its only airing in digital theaters.

this thread is a joke. if this a bad move then how bad was any othe rmay film or pirates 2s marketing then?

Man, I was so dissapointed to not see the trailer with MI:3! There were literally 6 trailers, and neither was Superman Returns. It was a major theater too, and the audience was packed.

I'll bet i'd have gotten a reaction to it too, I mean the audience even clapped during the film when
Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character was killed
. Also, the trailer for "Click" was met with groans (my theater shows tv spots, commericals, and HBO First Looks before the regular trailers even start, and they'd shown like 5 "Click" ads already).

Too bad I have no desire to see Posiedon... maybe Da Vinci Code will have it.

Matt said:
I don't know Daaaavey. Letting them rent a studio is one thing...giving the competition advertisment space...pretty stupid move.
Neither fox nor X3 are competition. I dont know why people still think this. They open a full month apart. No matter how big X3 is it's not going to hold number one till June 30th. And even if it does its simple...Superman will be the new film. Everyone will have already seen X3.

As for Fox putting a WB trailer in front of X3...it happens all the time. It's not a new thing.

Michael Corleone said:
Neither fox nor X3 are competition. I dont know why people still think this. They open a full month apart. No matter how big X3 is it's not going to hold number one till June 30th. And even if it does its simple...Superman will be the new film. Everyone will have already seen X3.
It has nothing to do with X3. The fact is that trailers that are actually attached to films are usually reserved for other films of the same studio. And believe it or not, that's a hot commodity because it's guaranteed advertising. And sorry, but if you don't believe that movie companies aren't in competition for your money, then you're being a bit naive. If it comes down to helping advertise your studio's tentpole summer film or a rival studio's movie, which one do you think a company is going for?

Michael Corleone said:
As for Fox putting a WB trailer in front of X3...it happens all the time. It's not a new thing.
It doesn't happen all the time. Attached trailers are reserved for films from the same studio. Only when the company decides to sell that space to another company is done another way. Remember, we are talking about attached trailers here that actually come on the same reel as the film.

i think he meant just having trailer shownwith films all the time, and thats true. x3 miht have superman due to v for vendetta had x3.

Katsuro said:
Man, I was so dissapointed to not see the trailer with MI:3! There were literally 6 trailers, and neither was Superman Returns. It was a major theater too, and the audience was packed.

I'll bet i'd have gotten a reaction to it too, I mean the audience even clapped during the film when
Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character was killed
. Also, the trailer for "Click" was met with groans (my theater shows tv spots, commericals, and HBO First Looks before the regular trailers even start, and they'd shown like 5 "Click" ads already).

Too bad I have no desire to see Posiedon... maybe Da Vinci Code will have it.

this was EXACTLY like my theater...

was your's a regal katsuro?

stupid click commercial before coke ones, then ANOTHER click preview...they could've slapped in SR/POTC2/Bond there easily...audience dug the parts in mi3 and laugh/clapped at others, i would've LOVED to seen their reaction to the plane part in SR....gg WB

Well depending on theaters, but if you go to a theater that shows a lot of trailers (I do) before showing the attached one,, Igaruntee SR will be on X3. Fox may not garuntee it for WB but any theater that advertises a lot knows that putting a major summer comic book film before an audience who just paid to see one this month is simply good business.

BTW how was M"I3? I haven't seen it yet and am still a wee bit weary as I hated the second one and am tired of Tom Cruise's overinflated ego. But I still enjoyed the first one so....

Whats with all this negative energy towards WB???

DACrowe, if you liked the first one, you'll like the 3rd one, it has more of the team (than the first) and hoffman is a great bad guy

explode7, i think the neg energy is because WB is in charge of the marketing, and so far its been kind of on the down side

as of yesterday MI3 has made 48 million bucks. assuming 8 bucks a ticket, thats 6 MILLION PEOPLE

WB could've reached that many ppl with minimal effort, instead they decided to do it for free, and slap the SR trailer with one of their own in-house movies (psoeidon)

kind of cheap considering that SR is one of their biggest movies ever. i mean he's freaking superman, he should be everywhere.

remember the spidey1 promos? billboards, ads, trailers EVERYWHERE. you couldn't drive down the street without seeing it, it was great marketing on sony's part

So only some of the MI:3 have the SR trailor and all of the Posiedon theatres will have the SR trailors. Nobody knows whether or not it will be on X-3, am i correct?

Yep, SR full trailer was shown with my viewing of Mi 3 this afternoon, down here at an AMC theater in Florida, was Over the Hedge, Click, Superman Returns, Nacho Libre, then a very good Movie :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"