Batman Begins Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

I feel my love for this film growing since seeing The Batman.

So strange. I know we've had the Snyder Batman stuff but now that we have a new solo Batman movie it kind of officially cements the Nolan movies as the "older ones" for me, which still feels crazy to say. But I recall going back and rediscovering my love of Burton's films after seeing Begins too. Cause you now have a newer context.

Begins is FUN man. It's so wild to think at the time it was considered uber grimdark and serious. It was absolutely a 180 from Schumacher, but it still has so much fun, warmth, adventure and excitement that is mixed so well with darker themes and danger.

If Reeves made a 70s noir detective version of a Batman movie with his first film, I really feel that Nolan made the 70s/80s blockbuster version of it that never had been done. Not only is it Batman by the way of Richard Donner's Superman, I think it is also Batman by the way of Star Wars. The mythological hero's journey version. And man that just holds such a special place. I'm so grateful someone stepped in and decided to do that. We could've very easily skipped right into the grittiest of gritty if someone like Aranofsky got a hold of it and missed this sweet spot that Nolan perfectly hit.

This movie feels even older to me now in the best way (without losing a single bit of it's charm). Batman Begins was such a different film at the time and it was such a fresh approach to the genre as a whole. The Batman releasing has made me feel even more nostalgic for the film. I think people often forget about how pure of an origin story is and how, in retrospect, it wasn't really "dark and gritty". It feels as classical as Superman 1978 in a more contemporary way.

Oh my god, I just realized the music cue in that Batman escape sequence is the same as the one from the Hong Kong sequence in TDK. I don't know if I just forgot or never actually noticed. But that's awesome haha.

Oh my god, I just realized the music cue in that Batman escape sequence is the same as the one from the Hong Kong sequence in TDK. I don't know if I just forgot or never actually noticed. But that's awesome haha.
I never noticed that either haha.

I feel my love for this film growing since seeing The Batman.

So strange. I know we've had the Snyder Batman stuff but now that we have a new solo Batman movie it kind of officially cements the Nolan movies as the "older ones" for me, which still feels crazy to say. But I recall going back and rediscovering my love of Burton's films after seeing Begins too. Cause you now have a newer context.

Begins is FUN man. It's so wild to think at the time it was considered uber grimdark and serious. It was absolutely a 180 from Schumacher, but it still has so much fun, warmth, adventure and excitement that is mixed so well with darker themes and danger.

If Reeves made a 70s noir detective version of a Batman movie with his first film, I really feel that Nolan made the 70s/80s blockbuster version of it that never had been done. Not only is it Batman by the way of Richard Donner's Superman, I think it is also Batman by the way of Star Wars. The mythological hero's journey version. And man that just holds such a special place. I'm so grateful someone stepped in and decided to do that. We could've very easily skipped right into the grittiest of gritty if someone like Aranofsky got a hold of it and missed this sweet spot that Nolan perfectly hit.
I feel the same haha. Always loved BB, but re-watching lately made me remember how cool and well done this movie is. And now, after The Batman, it's clearly how Nolan's approach was much more 'blockbustery' and family friendly, even if we didn't saw that way back then.

Is there something to be said for the idea that some (i.e., not all or even most) are fearfully retreating back to the Nolan films and clutching them tightly to their chests as a sort of security blanket that will protect them from the idea of something else supplanting the Nolan movies as their new favourite?

Is there something to be said for the idea that some (i.e., not all or even most) are fearfully retreating back to the Nolan films and clutching them tightly to their chests as a sort of security blanket that will protect them from the idea of something else supplanting the Nolan movies as their new favourite?

I can't speak for other people. For me, the release of a new Bat-film always comes with a wave of nostalgia for the history of the franchise and what the previous films have meant to me in my life.

Honestly I think we just need to be ok with the fact that the age you were when certain things hit you plays a huge role in your subjective experience and there's nothing wrong with that. I grew up a Yankees fan and I still am, but there's nothing that is going to ever replace that 1996-2000 era. It was just a special time to be a fan of that team.

The Batman is truly fantastic though. The fact that I'm feeling a lot of warm and fuzzies for Batman as a whole speaks to the fact that the movie helped refresh it all for me again, which I think is amazing.

Well thanks for that reflective and calmly worded response, BatLobster. I'd half-expected (and was resigned to receiving) an understandably upset reaction to that question and the way it was worded. But it wasn't being asked in bad faith or anything. I just thought it was an interesting question worth posing. For what it's worth, I still have yet to see the film (hoping to see it within the next day or so) and so I have no dog in the fight just yet. I'm sure I'll like it though.

Well thanks for that reflective and calmly worded response, BatLobster. I'd half-expected (and was resigned to receiving) an understandably upset reaction to that question and the way it was worded. But it wasn't being asked in bad faith or anything. I just thought it was an interesting question worth posing. For what it's worth, I still have yet to see the film (hoping to see it within the next day or so) and so I have no dog in the fight just yet. I'm sure I'll like it though.

No problem. It's a valid question I guess, but I really think most Bat-fans salivate at the idea of something becoming their new favorite. I am admittedly more reserved in that regard because something needs to sit and marinate with me for a long time before I can place it up on that type of pedestal.

There's a lot to like in the film though, regardless of where you land with it, the craft that went into it is undeniable.

BB, Superman'78, Iron Man and Spider-Man 2002 are, IMO the quintessential superhero origin movies. Gonna be a very hard task to try tell those origins again (as seen by MOS and TASM).

Bat Lobster essentially said everything I'm feeling haha. But I'll just add that when the Nolan films were coming out, and especially around the time of TDK, I think the Burton fans felt similar to how us Nolan fans feel now. There is a sense of protection I have over those movies, but it's for more reasons than it just being the one of my generation. It's also because I think they were the ones to finally nail everything I loved about Batman in live action, while also cementing their status as some of the most popular and impactful films of their era. When a new generation comes along trying to discredit them by saying "It wouldn't be good without this character" or "it's not a REAL Batman movie", then I get ticked off and instantly go in on the defense. I lived through the hype, and know how beloved they were. So, to answer your question, yes to an extent lol. In the end though, I'm a Batman fan, not just a Nolan Batman fan. I love the comics, the animated series, as well as the Burton films, Nolan films, and Reeves new Batman film. I'm always open to new interpretations, I just don't like when people try to erase the impact a specific iteration had.

@C Prometheus' comments about recency bias in the other thread is what made you want to offer up an answer, isn't it, Gothamsknight? :D But thanks for the honesty at least. I guess all our tastes and preferences go through a sort of mini identity crisis when the hot new thang rears its head.

@C Prometheus' comments about recency bias in the other thread is what made you want to offer up an answer, isn't it, Gothamsknight? :D But thanks for the honesty at least. I guess all our tastes and preferences go through a sort of mini identity crisis when the hot new thang rears its head.
haha yeah pretty much. :D: I think it's normal to feel that way overall, which is why I don't really ever try to refute somebody when they say the Burtons 89 film or Returns is their favorite. I wasn't able to experience the hype for Batman 89 because I was born a few years later, so I don't have to room to comment on that aspect of it. But I love the Burton movies for what they are too, and they hold a special place for me as well.

BB, Superman'78, Iron Man and Spider-Man 2002 are, IMO the quintessential superhero origin movies. Gonna be a very hard task to try tell those origins again (as seen by MOS and TASM).

Spider-Man 2002 was something really special, IMO. Spider-Man 2 is still tied for my favorite superhero movie of all time (tied with The Dark Knight). Both sequels that surpasses the first movie in their trilogy, IMO.

Hopefully the sequel to The Batman will be one of those movies that surpasses the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"