Age of Ultron Age of Ultron SPOILER thread, DO NOT enter if you don't want to be spoiled!!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them giving any hints at a Romantic relationship between Bucky and Nat would also be out of character for her as I don't see her as the type of person to go from really Flirting with someone in a way that shows she is interested in them romantically to doing the same to someone else immediately. Also Bucky is still the Winter soldier in many ways so his personality wouldn't be the same as the Bucky from CA:TFA

the thing is, in the comics Natasha falls for Bucky as the Winter Soldier. in fact, it has been established that the Winter Soldier trained her in the Red Room when they were both working for the KGB. now of course the MCU has changed both Natasha and the Winter Soldier's origin stories, so we can safely assume Natasha never knew Bucky prior to him shooting her in Odesa.

despite this, MCU Nat and Bucky still have a lot in common (being brainwashed, having bloody pasts, working for the bad guys, etc). way more than enough to ensure that they'll understand each other and/or connect on a deep emotional level in future films.

Hulk and Bruce Banner fan here, hoping to clarify some things mentioned in this forum, because I am now scared of what the studio is doing to him.

So from what I heard so far, the forum's spoilers are painting him as a deserter? Someone who wanted to leave before a fight that his friends were in? I don't know if that sits well with me, the idea of abandoning what Ruffalo has stated about them, his new family when he knows and believes that he has nothing outside of them. How does the movie portray this notion? Will audiences slate him, or is it displayed in an understandable light?

Do we see the quinjet hit the water or is it merely told?

And it doesn't help his reputation that he is involved in a romance that so far most fandom people are despising. Is it portrayed well at least?

And overall, how was Mark Ruffalo in this movie?

Was there equal time between Bruce Banner and the Hulk?

Bruce wants to get away from the chaos because he is fearful of the hulk apparently we don't get to know what Wanda showed him therefore we cant judge his decision to leave based on what we see in the film, They don't discuss leaving I think that Bruce asks Natasha to leave with him very different to both of them considering it,
I'm sure Bruce says something about wanting to get out of the 'life' in general - being hexed by Wanda shakes him enough that he decides he doesn't want to take part in these fights anymore, he wants peace and quiet. They discuss it twice, apparently, once at the farm and then right before the final battle. That's what I've heard pretty definitively from two sources who saw the film. And again, Nat realizes that running away is not for her after all and seems to let him go. There's nothing stopping her from looking for him in the end and she notably doesn't try (we even get her scene saying "Nothing lasts forever" at the end of the movie).

Her sterilization is actually really important in terms of character development as it means they both have something truly heart breaking in common
I mean ok but being infertile was never something that weighed on Natasha in decades of comics or even in the mcu and this sudden emphasis on it is jarring. It's a simplification of what she went through in the Red Room - she was 'unmade', brainwashed, had memories implanted, and wielded like a human weapon by an authoritarian regime. So I just find it weak that it's not those things that Natasha talks about in an apparently dramatic moment, unveiling her feelings and vulnerabilities, but instead the focus is on her reproductive system and how that loss is what makes her and Bruce kindred spirits or something. :| The great tragedy of the RR is not Nat being unable to have that white picket fence and a family but how it stripped her of her humanity and identity and caused her to hurt a great deal of people. She will never be free of her guilt and her "ledger" will never be clean no matter how much she works to atone, so I just find the marriage/kids discussion isn't the most fulfilling way to go about addressing Nat's love life and it's a big reach when it comes to connecting her to Banner (especially when there are other characters waiting in the wings whose experiences would resonate with her far more). Her best romantic match is someone who can be a companion for her while being on the same never-ending redemptive path that's she on (just like how she and Bucky were in the comics, and how mcu Bucky is perfectly positioned to be that person for her now).

despite this, MCU Nat and Bucky still have a lot in common (being brainwashed, having bloody pasts, working for the bad guys, etc). way more than enough to ensure that they'll understand each other and/or connect on a deep emotional level in future films.
Indeeeed. Idk why people think he'd be too messed up for anything to happen between them - he'll have had two years to sort himself out and the whole point of his story now is re-connecting with people and coming in from the cold and that kind of arc is ready made for Natasha to have a role since she'd understand him best.

yeah Joss made Nat/Bruce canon. but! the key point I was trying to make was does it make sense in MCU canon based on what we've seen from both characters and the movies they've been involved in.

the other day someone came in here saying that in real life love doesn't make sense but it isn't real life. we can - and will - place the blame, if you will, for things that don't make sense or that we don't like on the writers and Marvel Studios itself. to me, and others, it seems as if Natasha has been shoehorned into a love interest for Bruce by Joss to fulfill his beauty and the beast fantasies. he literally mentioned the term in an interview.

they don't have to follow the comics to a t, nor should they. but when a love interest has been established in MCU canon - Betty - why erase her so that two Avengers can hook up? :shrug:

I always find it puzzling when fans don't see that any story is basically the product of the wishes of the writer and director. Whedon has chosen to introduce a controversial romance and ignore established MCU cannon. Betty doesn't even get mentioned.

Honestly Bruce/Nat seems to be built pretty flimsily in this like they're not even an established couple at the beginning, just flirting, and then they go from 0-60 talking about running away together (which is highly questionable characterization for Natasha imo, I don't buy she'd be interested in 'retiring'). It seems like it was purposefully ended it in such a way where the next filmmaker to pick up after Whedon isn't responsible for continuing it should they not want to.

If you ask me the time is ripe for Nat and Bucky to find each other. He could actually keep up with her Avengers lifestyle and has more in common with her. Plus comics canon is a good thing.

There are great comic book writers who have created amazing stories. These don't need to be recreated 100% but the core elements of good stories should be respected.

Bruce and Widow going from flirting to discussing marriage and children just sounds out of character for both. I also take issue with the focus on Widow being sterilized. Her experiences in the Red Room has impacted on her entire life and this is no more important. Lots of women are childless and this does not define their life - and it shouldn't define Widow's in AoU.

So from what I heard so far, the forum's spoilers are painting him as a deserter? Someone who wanted to leave before a fight that his friends were in? I don't know if that sits well with me, the idea of abandoning what Ruffalo has stated about them, his new family when he knows and believes that he has nothing outside of them. How does the movie portray this notion? Will audiences slate him, or is it displayed in an understandable light?

As a fellow Hulk fan I share your concern. He does appear to be portrayed as wishing to leave before the start of the battle which may show him as a deserter and coward. OK, he's suffering mentally but a hero would step up and bear this pain for the greater good. I think this is included for Widow's story which is a shame as both characters interests should be served. But there are lots of other things I don't like - e.g. Hulk not speaking and IM winning the Hulkbuster fight. :csad:

I always find it puzzling when fans don't see that any story is basically the product of the wishes of the writer and director. Whedon has chosen to introduce a controversial romance and ignore established MCU cannon. Betty doesn't even get mentioned.

...of course I understand that. In fact Whedon's personal "touch" is even more obvious in The Avengers and AoU since Whedon is both director and writer. :funny:

What I'm concerned with is
a) As you stated, Joss has little concern for continuity in not only the solo movies but in The Avengers...which he also wrote and
b) These aren't 100% original stories/characters and he should be somewhat faithful to the source material, and by extension, the fans.

I am very appreciative that Joss ushered in a new era with his work on The Avengers, but I am glad that Marvel Studios will be able to move forward from AoU with less of Whedon's influence on their films.

So does Tony use his brainwaves at all to build Ultron like Hank did with his? Or base Ultron's personality from him? Just wondering cause of all the quips and snark that Ultron seems to be having in this universe.

I can't wait to see Thor and Cap team up :)
love those 2 teaming up everytime.

So does Tony use his brainwaves at all to build Ultron like Hank did with his? Or base Ultron's personality from him? Just wondering cause of all the quips and snark that Ultron seems to be having in this universe.

Yes he did.

why are people so keen on seeing Betty again? Liv Tyler was portraying her horribly, I have no desire to see her again in that role.

For those who have seen it, does Vision still have the Soul Gem on his head by the end of the movie and also, what are his powers in it and is the Gem the reason he has those powers? Do they show an awesome action sequence with him? And finally, how does he compare by awesomeness to the other characters in the movie? Who is the best character in the movie? Thank you.

why are people so keen on seeing Betty again? Liv Tyler was portraying her horribly, I have no desire to see her again in that role.

doesn't have to be Liv Tyler! we didn't have to have Norton to have a good portrayal of the Hulk :yay:

Linda Cardellini would have been a good Betty 3.0
oh well

Quote: Originally Posted by liveman789
That omelette line got me especially. It seemed really random.
Why?
Because its a ridiculous and completely stupid thing for Ultron to say.

People need to remember that this is a discussion board - not a pro everything about Avengers cheerleading board. Whats with all the people complaining about other peoples complaints???

There's supposed to be difference of opinion here. We're not all supposed to agree. And having legitimate criticism of the movie does not = *****ing and complaining.

Last edited:

People need to remember that this is a discussion board - not a pro everything about Avengers cheerleading board. Whats with all the people complaining about other peoples complaints???

There's supposed to be difference of opinion here. We're not all supposed to agree. And having legitimate criticism of the movie does not = *****ing and complaining.

Pot, kettle, repeat.

But Ultron is base on stark personality
How is it a stupid line.

Yeah I think that was the point, hence why Stark said "he beat me by 1 second". :funny:

I actually find the concept of a Stark-like Ultron really cool.

Why? Genuine question. I just want you to elaborate why because i dont understand your point of view.

Last edited:

There are great comic book writers who have created amazing stories. These don't need to be recreated 100% but the core elements of good stories should be respected.

Bruce and Widow going from flirting to discussing marriage and children just sounds out of character for both. I also take issue with the focus on Widow being sterilized. Her experiences in the Red Room has impacted on her entire life and this is no more important. Lots of women are childless and this does not define their life - and it shouldn't define Widow's in AoU.

As a fellow Hulk fan I share your concern. He does appear to be portrayed as wishing to leave before the start of the battle which may show him as a deserter and coward. OK, he's suffering mentally but a hero would step up and bear this pain for the greater good. I think this is included for Widow's story which is a shame as both characters interests should be served. But there are lots of other things I don't like - e.g. Hulk not speaking and IM winning the Hulkbuster fight. :csad:

Exactly!!! I'm a Hulk fan as well and after days of reading this, it's become clear!! Wheedon could care less about the Hulk and how he's portrayed on screen!! This movie seems to be total b.s.!! I would rather he had not been in it then to be reduced to a mindless ape who gets knocked out by iron man then runs away before the final battle.. That's not the Hulk!! That's B.s.!! This isn't Buffy the vampire slayer.. This is one of the most powerful figures in the marvel universe!! If he can't be done right.. Then leave him alone!!

Last edited:
Exactly!!! I'm a Hulk fan as well and after days of reading this, it's become clear!! Wheedon could care less about the Hulk and how he's portrayed on screen!! This movie seems to be total b.s.!! I would rather he had not been in it then to be reduced to a mindless ape who gets knocked out by iron man then runs away before the final battle.. That's not the Hulk!! That's B.s.!! This isn't Buffy the vampire slayer.. This is one of the most powerful figures in the marvel universe!! If he can't be done right.. Then leave him alone!!
hahaha JOE?!? from Statue Forum? WELCOME ABOARD my Friend!!

Edit: if not from SF Welcome aboard anyway :more:

doesn't have to be Liv Tyler! we didn't have to have Norton to have a good portrayal of the Hulk :yay:

But that'd be another character added to an already packed film. I'm not a fan of the Hulk so I don't really care about it. I can never understand people getting angry over it before they've even seen the movie. Why not wait and see how it actually plays out in the film and not through some poorly written spoiler responses.

I wouldn't say it was an amazing performance but I do like Liv Tyler. Wouldn't mind if they got someone else though as it seems they're trying to disassociate from TIH as much as possible. Any Betty romance should probably be investigated in a Hulk solo anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"