The Winter Soldier Agent 13

Sharon Carter should move to the Hamptons between Cap 2 and Cap 3. She could go under an assumed name.

Sharon Carter should move to the Hamptons between Cap 2 and Cap 3. She could go under an assumed name.

Amanda Clarke or Amanda Carter?! hahaha

The film just comes out 10 April here in Brazil, so yeah, just "watching" all the hype to make the wait bearable.

But something that got my attention in some reviews and fans reaction over twitter/tumblr was that from people who liked her character to people who did not like her, agree that she got little screen time.

Great majority hopes for more of Sharon in Cap 3, and felt she could get like more 2 or 3 scenes with others characters like Hill or even Cap.
Others went straight to the "waste of screen time" for the way she was used. I even read somewhere that "They could cut all her scenes and nothing would be missed".

The general consensus is that she could have a little more, but looking at the good side of it: People want and expect more of her in future films.
So there is hope... ... I hope at least! haha

Marvel doesn't have as much room to grow as it used to, certainly not between now and Cap 3. SHIELD is gone, and they'd been low-key since Avengers, and it remains to be seen if the CIA is going to be playing a role in movies to come.

And I'd hardly call it a recurring theme. More of a running gag.

Natasha advises him to ask out Sharon, but she also tells him to ask out a bunch of other girls, too.

It isn't really about Sharon and Steve, but more about Steve and Natasha's friendship.

Because, we are actually given little reason to be interested in a Steve and Sharon relationship.

When we see them interact, its far too brief and Sharon is actually playing a part. Steve is hitting on "Kate", not Sharon.

Once he does know her as Agent 13, they don't interact.

Basically, Cap 3 will have to pretty much start from practically nothing. It'll have to explain why Steve would be interested in Sharon (beside that she is pretty), not to mention it'll have to reveal her being Sharon CARTER. Which is something that would have taken literally a second in this movie, but they still didn't do it.

So yeah, as far as introductions go, it is inadequate.

The act she was putting on was the one where she was trying to seem not interested. She clearly wants to have a cup of coffee with him. She finds him attractive and wants to get to know him. Unfortunately, she has a job to do, and it would not be good for her task for to get emotionally involved and lose sight of the job at hand. She is having to force herself to not run into his apartment.

However, even though they don't interact much, the movie does show her resisting the bad guys. She is inspired by Cap and believes in him and is fighting the good fight. Of course, she is not nearly as good of a fighter as the strike force types...I would expect May to be able to whip her, and I would expect Black Widow to be able to whip May. But it still showed her as being brave enough to stand up for what is right, despite the odds. It then mentioned her afterward and showed that she is becoming an even better agent. She WILL be back. That much is clear to anyone who was paying attention. I'm sorry that you need her arc to move faster than it is, but most fans seem to have the patience to let it grow. It's much better than when Batman would meet a girl and fall in love in 10 minutes, then have a new villain created out of thin air in 10 minutes and then wrap up both storylines in the next hour.

Putting aside whether or not Sharon digs Steve, the point remains that Steve becomes mildly interested in "Kate", not Sharon. We don't know what qualities about her Steve finds interesting, aside that she's nearby.

She WILL be back. That much is clear to anyone who was paying attention.

I'm sure they're planning to, but given that her introduction doesn't establish much that won't have to be reiterated in the next movie, it didn't contribute much.

And that could well be to the detriment of her role next time. They'll have to pretty much cram her entire arc with Steve into it; cover her connection with Peggy and Steve finding out about it, her relationship with Steve, actual characterization, etc.

They might decide its not worth pursing and simply have Steve not have a love interest at all.

Putting aside whether or not Sharon digs Steve, the point remains that Steve becomes mildly interested in "Kate", not Sharon. We don't know what qualities about her Steve finds interesting, aside that she's nearby.

I'm sure they're planning to, but given that her introduction doesn't establish much that won't have to be reiterated in the next movie, it didn't contribute much.

And that could well be to the detriment of her role next time. They'll have to pretty much cram her entire arc with Steve into it; cover her connection with Peggy and Steve finding out about it, her relationship with Steve, actual characterization, etc.

They might decide its not worth pursing and simply have Steve not have a love interest at all.

That's a bit presumptuous. There's actually a higher chance of them rushing a love story into the next one (even if it's underdeveloped) than not having a love story at all. As sad as that is.

No, they don't have to cram her entire arc into one film. You may be disappointed yet again. You see, they didn't cram Bucky's entire arc into one movie. They didn't cram Thanos arc into one movie. Or the Ten Rings. Or The Leader's. Or Coulson's. Or Fury's. Or Hydra's etc etc etc

That is kind of the point. Marvel isn't going to rush these characters in one movie just because some people want rapid fire character arcs like the terrible movies that most of us got sick of.

They didn't cram Bucky's entire arc into one movie, but they did a substantial part in the first movie, and they did a substantial part in this movie, and they'll do more in the third movie.

They haven't done anything substantial with Sharon, yet. And as Cap 3 is very possibly the last Cap movie for a while, then yeah, that they'll have to do all of Sharon's arc in one movie is a possibility.

I don't know man...maybe while you're still trying to accept that one girlfriend is dying , you meet someone new and rapidly fall in love and develop a relationship over 90 minutes. Most of us don't do that. Most of us will slowly move on, maybe meet someone cute, and naturally develop feelings for someone new over time.

And what they did do is show that Sharon wants to date Steve and is loyal and willing to die for what is right. She's willing to stand up in fights she cant win because its the right thing to do.

You keep bringing up that I allegedly wanted a relationship right away.

For the last time, I didn't.

What I did want is for Sharon to be a shown as a noteworthy agent. Or to have an actual character. Or a single scene where she and Steve could have a genuine exchange.

Or, you know, to have her last name revealed.

That she's willing to fight against HYDRA isn't enough.

I do feel like I know her a bit. I got just enough to know about what kind of person she is.

As far as being a noteworthy agent, I don't think that she was really designated for that in the movie universe. She didn't seem like the ultra butt kicker like Black Widow...or even Grant Ward, nor was she a high ranking officer like Fury or Hand. She seemed like an agent who was assigned to kind of keep an eye on Captain America (not really "protect" him). When she fought a tough field agent like Crossbones, she didn't stand much of a chance. Yet she fought anyway because that was the right thing to do. She is currently working to make herself even better at what she does.

Emily Van Camp IS Sharon Carter :)
I can't wait to see where she goes in the third movie.

So Cap has no idea she's Peggy's niece, right?

As far as being a noteworthy agent, I don't think that she was really designated for that in the movie universe. She didn't seem like the ultra butt kicker like Black Widow...or even Grant Ward, nor was she a high ranking officer like Fury or Hand. She seemed like an agent who was assigned to kind of keep an eye on Captain America (not really "protect" him). When she fought a tough field agent like Crossbones, she didn't stand much of a chance. Yet she fought anyway because that was the right thing to do. She is currently working to make herself even better at what she does.

Well, Sharon is supposed to be the elite badass agent in the comics. Some writers are poorer at showing that than others, and maybe she isn't at Black Widow's level, but that's what she's supposed to be.

If they're making her less competent for the movies, well, then that's a first. Also, bs.

And really, why shouldn't she be on par with May and Ward? Why have Cap's future backup be someone who -though have heart- can't hold their own and can't keep up?

I hope Emily can find more time to come back and do ca3. It would be a dreadful thing to recast her

I don't know if she can show up in Agents of Shield now. I was hoping she would, and before seeing CA:TWS it would've seemed quite natural for her to do so as part of SHIELD. But now, she would just be someone they happen to cross paths with since she's now part of the CIA.

In fact, a lot of guest stars seem to have been ruled out of AoS because of TWS.

Well, Sharon is supposed to be the elite badass agent in the comics. Some writers are poorer at showing that than others, and maybe she isn't at Black Widow's level, but that's what she's supposed to be.

If they're making her less competent for the movies, well, then that's a first. Also, bs.

And really, why shouldn't she be on par with May and Ward? Why have Cap's future backup be someone who -though have heart- can't hold their own and can't keep up?

If everyone is a super soldier, then what good is being a super soldier? Falcon is also not in the same league as Black Widow or other elite fighters in SHIELD. That doesn't make him less of a character. In the movies they have clearly made the decision to show that she is a competent agent who likely can handle a bank robber, but probably couldnt handle Batroc. She is aware of this and wants to make a difference...so they show her on the firing range with incredible accuracy...she is getting better to match a threat that demands she get better. That is so much cooler than just being naturally gifted from the start.

I think it was smart to leave that revelation to the third movie. It'll make her feel more important.

agreed, and is in line with the comics as well. Cap doesn't learn right away that Sharon is peggy niece when they first meet he only knows her as Agent 13

But who'd anyone long enough to develop feelings and rapport without finding out their name?

Also, did anyone else pick up on an odd accent she had briefly at the Triskelion?

Last edited:
for what its worth, i wasnt familiar with Agent 13 / Sharon Carter until a friend mentioned it to me while watching. so her intro in this film is pretty darn good methinks.

I think my favorite part about Sharon was that no one told him that she was Peggy's relative.

Black Widow seemed to hint at it. Something about opening old wounds, etc when she gave Cap info on Agent 13.

She is damn cute. That's all i can say right now. ;)

Okay I must have missed the boat on this one haha, I completely thought agent 13 was ms marvel (or more is going to be ms marvel at some point) which is why they cut back to her at the end of the film in the firing range and why she had the name agent 13 and why she somehow played an important role even as such a base character and why she was on the posters (as if it is going to set her up at some point to take a larger role). I thought Sharon was a completely different person who they eluded to by saying her name without the surname. :S Guess I was so wrong haha

Okay I must have missed the boat on this one haha, I completely thought agent 13 was ms marvel (or more is going to be ms marvel at some point) which is why they cut back to her at the end of the film in the firing range and why she had the name agent 13 and why she somehow played an important role even as such a base character and why she was on the posters (as if it is going to set her up at some point to take a larger role). I thought Sharon was a completely different person who they eluded to by saying her name without the surname. :S Guess I was so wrong haha

Agent 13 is Sharon Carter, the niece of Peggy Carter, she is the primary girlfriend of Captain america and also she a top Shield agent who worked with the Avengers .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"